Thursday, August 29, 2024

May 6 and 8, 1945 - Germany surrenders

By May 6, a total of 6,690 prisoners from the regimental cage had been evacuated to the II Corps concentration area at Bassano. Subsequently, these prisoners were transferred to the control of the 76th Corps.


Prisoners of war file into a II Corps enclosure, April 18, 1945.
Photographer: Wiedenmayer, 196th Signal Photo Company, public domain.

In his letter dated May 6, 1945, Johnnie playfully teased Lucile about her age. His affection for Lucile’s family shines through in his frequent mentions of them. 

My Dear Darling Wife,

I received four letters from you yesterday. Also, the ones with Mom Stacks picture, Mary, Earl and his wife. They all are very good, especially Mom Stacks. She is so young looking for her age. And Mary, I guess she does think she is grown. All little old girls think so when they get to be fourteen or fifteen. I shall know because I started fooling with them when I was that age myself, Ha Ha. And I know you shalln’t be talking because I bet you were the same way when you were that age. Anyway, now that you are thirty-three you would think her being just a baby still, Ha Ha. Darn, there I go running your age up again. How old did you say you are now? Maybe I guessed wrong. I think it is twenty-three. Regardless, you still look sixteen to me and for any to ever take your place there just isn’t. You have taught me a lot of things in the ways of life. And I have learned a lot being in this war. A lot of things I want to forget. You saw Mickey got eight hundred for his car? I think he did real well. If I was him though, I wouldn’t put it in another car right away. I would wait. Because I am sure as soon as this war over here is over, prices will drop a lot on automobiles and a lot of other things as far as that matters. Of course, that is just my own opinion of what will happen. Of course, now he is doing things on his on and his wife and I don’t like to get in family matters, Ha Ha. Yes, I can understand how Mickey feels about going back to camp. I shall don’t you think? Say, how did Edna ever come out? If you wrote me and told me I forgot. Is she completey well? What about Irvin? You remember when I wrote and told you I met him? Well, that’s the last I ever heard from him. I hope he is OK. Well honey, I will have to close for now. Give all the family my regards. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Lucile

On May 7, 1945, the regiment supervised the assembly and disarmament of the 76th German Corps’ headquarters troops. On May 8, 1945, the Allied forces accepted the unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany, officially ending the war in Europe after years of devastating conflict. V-E Day, or Victory in Europe Day, was a momentous occasion that brought immense relief and joy to millions of people across Europe and around the world. It symbolized the long-awaited defeat of a brutal regime responsible for widespread suffering, persecution, and genocide. The news of this historic event was prominently featured as a cover page headline across the United States and around the world. 


Headline of The Atlanta Constitution, May 8, 1945

Spontaneous celebrations erupted in cities and towns with people flooding the streets, waving American flags, singing, dancing, embracing, and sharing kisses. Many attended church services to offer prayers of gratitude and thanksgiving for the hard-won victory. President Harry S. Truman, recognizing the immense sacrifice, declared a National Day of Prayer to honor those who had given their lives. In his address to the nation, he made the following proclamation:

The Allied armies, through sacrifice and devotion and with God’s help, have wrung from Germany a final and unconditional surrender. The western world has been freed of the evil forces which for five years and longer have imprisoned the bodies and broken the lives of millions upon millions of free-born men. They have violated their churches, destroyed their homes, corrupted their children, and murdered their loved ones. Our Armies of Liberation have restored freedom to these suffering peoples, whose spirit and will the oppressors could never enslave.

Much remains to be done. The victory won in the West must now be won in the East. The whole world must be cleansed of the evil from which half the world has been freed. United, the peace-loving nations have demonstrated in the West that their arms are stronger by far than the might of dictators or the tyranny of military cliques that once called us soft and weak. The power of our peoples to defend themselves against all enemies will be proved in the Pacific war as it has been proved in Europe.

For the triumph of spirit and of arms which we have won, and for its promise to peoples everywhere who join us in the love of freedom, it is fitting that we, as a nation, give thanks to Almighty God, who has strengthened us and given us the victory.

Now, therefore, I, Harry S. Truman, President of the United States of America, do hereby appoint Sunday, May 13, 1945, to be a day of prayer.

I call upon the people of the United States, whatever their faith, to unite in offering joyful thanks to God for the victory we have won and to pray that He will support us to the end of our present struggle and guide us into the ways of peace.

I also call upon my countrymen to dedicate this day of prayer to the memory of those who have given their lives to make possible our victory.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States of America to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington this eighth day of May, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and forty-five, and of the Independence of the United States of America the one hundred and sixty-ninth.

It was the president’s 61st birthday. You can hear the full speech here.


Official portrait of President Harry S. Truman, ca. 1945.
Photo by Greta Kempton, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons.

In his letter to Lucile on May 8, 1945, Johnnie shared the same news and expressed his wish for peace in Europe.

My Dear Darling,

Received a letter from you today telling me that you have received the gift that I had ordered for you. I was beginning to think what money I put in all of those gifts to you and Mom Stacks was lost. Counting yours and Mom Stacks and Dot, in all, it just cost me about twenty-eight dollars. I am glad you like the gift and I hope Mom Stacks likes hers. I guess you have heard over the radio and read in the papers that the war here in Italy is over with and we have heard that fighting on all the fronts has ended. If so, that means the whole of Europe has peace once more which I hope is true! There isn’t much I can add for what you won’t read in the papers and on the radio. Well honey, I will have to close for now. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

On May 9, 1945 the 3rd Battalion relocated to the Pieve di Cadore Calalzo area. In May, the regiment disarmed and evacuated German troops in their sector. The 76th Panzer Corps’ troops were organized into Battle Groups Polack, Reinhardt, Hoppe, and Reinwald.

No comments:

Post a Comment