Thursday, January 5, 2023

January 18 and 23, 1943

In Johnnie’s January 18, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, it appears he had received good news from Lucile. Unfortunately, we’ll never know what that was since we don’t have her letters to him. Perhaps she was responding to his January 11, 1943 letter and told him he had her full heart, not just part of it.

My Dear Darling Beloved,

Received the one letter I been waiting on today. And I was sure glad to hear how you felt about me, now I want be so worry about me and you. I really feel bad about Mother being like she is, I wish there was something I could do, But the way things are now, and me being in the Army, you know there isn’t any way for me to help her. How did you know? Kate must have call you up, and told you. What did she say when you told her I was in the Army, I bet she sure was surprised, wasn’t she? To tell you the truth I haven’t wrote Mother, Louise or any of them since I been here, but I will drop her a line tonight because you know, I just get to write so much, being as they got me on the go all the time. Most of my time I get to spare is writing you, and you know that. Well I am glad Kate got a better job and it isn’t as hard as the other one. Did Kate tell you when she was leaving to go down there? I wonder if Daddy knows about Mother’s sickness? Did Kate say? Write and let me know. 

Well honey, I hate to end this letter so soon, but it is about ten thirty, and the light goes out at eleven o’clock. And if you don’t mind, I want to drop Mother a line or two. 

But I will write you some more tomorrow night. So, goodnight my Love. And sweet dreams. Your as you always know.

Love, Johnnie

P.S. Please excuse writing with this pen. You know I never could write with one. 

Johnnie


Johnnie's sister, Kate Marston

Sometime before Johnnie sat down to write Lucile a noontime letter from Camp Howze on January 23, 1943, he had received a letter from Lucile telling him that his mother had cancer. 

You still love me?

Sat. Noon 

My Dear Darling,

Well here it is, Saturday at noon, and being as I haven’t got anything to do right now, I will drop you a few lines. Darling, how have you been doing? Are you well? How much do you owe your Daddy now? Well, I get some money next week, about Friday or Saturday, and I will send you half of what I get. I am sure you could use some. I wrote Mother two letters asking her about her sickness. I hope what you wrote about it being cancer that it isn’t so. Honey, you don’t know how I worry about Mother since I received your letter telling me how sick she is. Honey, I am sure you all are wrong about not sending any more packages, because alot of the boys in camp receive packages every day. You know what I am talking about, I guess you can’t send packages across sea, but you can send them anywhere in the U.S.A. I have put on two more pounds of weight, now one hundred and forty-six and a half pounds. You should see me now. I have really filled out in a lot of places and I am not fat. It is all solid muscle. They give us an hour and a half of exercise every morning and Gal, you should see my shape now, Ha Ha. Well Darling, it is about time for dinner so I will close. Answer right back.

Lots of love to my best sweetheart and my beautiful wife, Johnnie

P.S. You said in one of your letters that my letters weren’t long enough. You should overlook that because I write you almost every night.

Johnnie wrote Lucile a second letter from Camp Howze the night of January 23, 1943 in which he was clearly worried about his mother’s illness. He was also working on getting Lucile to Texas.

My Dear Darling, 

I am sorry I haven’t written you in the last two days. The reason is I have been showing the other boys in my company how to read an Army compass, the order of arms, and the army general order. And honey, if you don’t think I haven’t been busy you don’t know the half of it. As I told you in my other letter, my company command made me an acting corporal and he wants me to go to school for two weeks and take a test of a regular corporal. I told him I would let him know. That’s why I wrote you about it. Honey I really felt bad when I received the letter about Mother. If there was only something I could do. I guess if she has got the cancer, I pray for the Lord to cure her. Gosh I hope you are wrong about her sickness. There is one thing. If Kate sends a telegram saying she is worse, I am sure I can get a pass to go see her. Honey, there is a little town just about or I would say bigger than College Park about forty miles from camp. A fellow here in camp who is a pal of mine, has sent for his wife and has rented a nice little apartment. The rent is only four dollars a week. We thought if we could get you down here, you and his wife could stay together and the rent would be lots cheaper for me and him both. There are two beds in the apartment, a radio, and a nice small kitchen. What do you think about that, let me know? Well Babe, I guess that’s all I can write right now but I will write you more tomorrow. 

Lots lots love to my best gal x x x x x, Johnnie

P.S. Say, did you know I love you? I suspect the same from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment