Thursday, January 12, 2023

January 24, 26, and 27, 1943

Letters, letters, and more letters. Johnnie worked hard to keep a continuous stream of letters to Lucile and other family members. In his January 24, 1943 letter to Lucile, he mentioned teaching fellow soldiers how to read and write. They probably wanted the ability to read letters they received from their loved ones and to be able to write them as well.

My Dear Darling,

I just received one of your letters, so I will write you a little line to answer it. You know I am not much on writing long letters, so Darling don’t expect a real long one. You said in this letter that you have received twenty-two letters from me. Well there is about five on the way. Because I try to write you everyday or night, I never have gone over two days without writing you. Don’t worry about me getting hurt in boxing. Not saying I won’t but I will try not to. I just sharpened this pencil so don’t you notice the change in this writing? Honey if you need any money go ahead and get some from your Daddy. But if you can wait till I get some next week I will send you some. I have not received any letters from Mother yet. I wish they would write and let me know how she is. Have you heard any word from Kate since she left? Honey, I received a letter from your Mother, Dot and Drex, Frances and Woodrow, and Grandma and Earl. Tell them I will answer them as quick as I can. O yeah, I received a little letter from Betty. Tell her I will write her one too. Well honey, I will have to close because I am teaching four boys in my company how to read and write, and they are waiting by my bed now.

So, lots and lots of love and kisses. To my sweetheart and my beautiful wife. Johnnie

P.S. you still love me. Check that.

Johnnie’s sister-in-law Frances (Stacks) and her
husband Woodrow Oglesby (photo taken years later)

Johnnie wrote another letter to his mother-in-law on January 26, 1943. He talked about the weather, issues she was having back home, and his weight gain.

Dear Mom,

Received your letter and was sorry to hear how sick you have been. I hope this letter finds you well and happy. Please excuse my writing such a short letter because I have just finished giving some boys in my company some instruction on the army rifle and it is just a short time till the lights go out. It has been snowing and sleeting here the last two days. It is about three inches deep, but the sun has come out, and it is going away fast. Have you any idea who has been stealing your coal? I hope you catch whoever it is. Tell little Melvin I said hello and for him to be good and I will be home soon to watch him dance for me. Tell Doc I said hello and don’t let the frost bit his toes, Ha Ha. I feel swell as far as my health is concerned. I also have gained a lot of weight. I weighed a hundred and forty-six about a week ago. Sure do miss you all but I will be back with you all soon. Tell little Betty, Earl, and Grandma I will write them tomorrow and not to get mad if it is a few days late. So, lots of love to you all.

Johnnie

 

Betty and Melvin Stacks 

The letters are not coming fast enough to suit Johnnie. In his January 27, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, he let Lucile know it had been three days since he had heard from anyone. And he was especially worried about his mother.

My Dear Darling,

I will drop you a few lines to let you know I haven’t forgot you, but I really just haven’t had much time to write this week. Will try to make up for it this weekend. How is my little wife tonight? I hope you are well. I am OK as far as health is concerned but still worry about Mother’s sickness. I wish they would let me know something. It’s been a week since I wrote her, and I haven’t received an answer yet. I haven’t received any mail from you in the last three days. I hope you are not tired of writing me. I received yours, Grandma, Frances, and Woodrow’s about three days ago, but haven’t got a letter from nobody since then. I expect to get paid Monday and I will send you some money. Well I have a lot to do tonight. So, I will close for this time. 

Lots of love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment