Thursday, May 11, 2023

June 22, July 21, and undated, 1943

Johnnie wrote Lucile on June 22, 1943 as he was preparing to go out on maneuvers. She was still in Texas, so he asked her to go to Sherman to get him a knife. Sherman is a city in Texas located about 32 miles from Camp Howze and 18 miles from Whitesboro, where Lucile was staying.

Hello Darling,

Well, we are getting ready to move out this afternoon at seven o’clock. We are going out to stay till Friday night. I expect we will start back in then, so if nothing happens this weekend, that is if I am not on any kind of detail, I will see you Saturday at noon sometime. Say, try to go to Sherman and get me that knife, will you? So, I haven’t heard from any of the family. If I receive any mail from them this afternoon, I will mail it to you. Well, I guess this is all the news. 

Lots Love, Johnnie.

Please excuse writing, this pen has gone haywire.

Reading Johnnie’s July 21, 1943 letter to Lucile’s parents, it appears they had possibly been home to Georgia and then returned to Texas together via a bus.

Hello folks,

I am just dropping you all a few lines to let you know we arrived OK. We just got here and I am writing this in the bus depot. Say, one thing we didn’t do and we should have and that was bring enough chickens along, Ha Ha. It really was good. Well, I don’t know when I will see you all again but I do hope it won’t be long. I really enjoyed myself while I was there. Tell Grandma hello and that we will write her right away. Tell the kids hello for us and to write. Well, I guess this is all the news for this time, so lots lots love.

Johnnie and Lucile


Lucile’s mother, Leola, wrote Johnnie and Lucile a letter dated July 1943 from College Park, Georgia.

Dear Kiddies,

I am so glad you got back OK. I thought of you so much while you were on the road and wondered if you weren’t about played out. I knew I would be. It sure has been lonesome since you and Robert left but I hope it won’t be so long before you get another furlough. O say, I am sorry you didn’t have enough chicken. I bet Lucile didn’t put in enough for one of you, let alone two. I was so nervous and upset that day. I didn’t know how they did fix the lunch. I wish anything I was like I used to be. It seems I can’t do anything like I want to. Things didn’t turn out like I had planned them. I can’t seem to cook, keep house, or anything like I used to. I hope I won’t always be this way. Well, I enjoyed your company anyway. If I could show you a good time like I wanted to I would rather be sick in pain than to be so nervous. It seems like I get worse instead of better. The other night I got so worried. Earl didn’t get in from Woodrow’s till about 9 o’clock. It just went all over me I got so nervous I was sick at my stomach. I just walked the floor. He was waiting for Woodrow to bring him home. And after it was all over, I thought how foolish I was. Well, it looks like it might rain tonight. O say, how far did you have to stand up on the bus? I hope not very far. Say, old Mussolini is out of the way isn’t he? I wish that something would happen to old Hitler. I have been busy pulling weeds in the front yard. The weeds were so high you had to get in an airplane and fly over to see if we were still here, Ha Ha. Well Johnnie, you know what I would do if it would not spoil? I’d fry a big box full of chickens and send it to you but I am afraid it is too hot a weather yet. And I am afraid they will be too old to fry by the time it gets cool. Lucile, Mrs. Cochran and her daughter Lual was here yesterday. I haven’t heard from Robert yet. I hope he got back OK. He had enlarged pictures made of him for Nell. She hasn’t got it yet. I wanted to get some pictures made so bad while you all were home. I am going to try again to get some made. Well, I don’t know of any news much, so I guess I will close. And God bless my children bye bye. 

Lots of love, Mother.

P.S. if you can’t read this bring it to me and I’ll read it for you (maybe), Ha Ha.



Johnnie’s brother-in-law, Robert Astin

The next letter is undated but Johnnie mentions being on maneuvers, so it is possible it was written in July 1943.

My Dear Darling,

Well, today makes one week we have been on maneuvers. It seems like one month. I am really tired out. I am not going to say where I am going to make maneuvers or not, it’s really hard to say. Boy I would give anything to get back in a soft bed again. I am sore all over from sleeping on the ground. Did you go to work? If so, I hope not around no men. I am glad you made it home OK. I enjoyed my trip on train OK. I wish it was heading through home instead of here. Gee I miss you. Say, you haven’t had my rubbers used up yet, have you, Ha Ha. Keep them, we will need them all in about an hours’ time as soon as you are back with me again. I am really hurting, Ha Ha. Say, you aren’t writing me as much as you should. Don’t tell me somebody else is taking up your time. If so, you better put a sign up on you saying keep off. I mean just that. Darling, even though we have argued a lot since we have been married and also got sore with each other, I know I have blown my top a lot and act crazy when I get mad, but honest, Darling, I wasn’t really mad. Not deep inside. Luke, I love you, and always will no matter what happens between us. At times, a lot of time people say I don’t appreciate a good wife like you. Well darling, I do, I admire everything you have done for me since we have been together and I love every little part of you. Darling, I know I can’t do much for you now, but someday maybe I can. Darling excuse this paper and the mess it is in, but it’s the best I can keep it in out here. Tell Mickey to write me and tell me all about his new car and also his new girlfriends. Tell them all to write me and I will answer them as soon as I can. Darling, I will close for this time so Lots lots love always.

Johnnie


Johnnie and Lucile (1943)

No comments:

Post a Comment