Thursday, May 4, 2023

May 18, June 7, 18, and 20, 1943

Shortly after Johnnie wrote the letter on May 10, we learn that Lucile was in Texas, her second trip there. It is not known if he made it to Georgia and brought her back to Texas with him, or if he went straight to Texas and she met him there. On May 18, 1943, Johnnie took the time to write two letters; one to Lucile’s father to let him know Lucile was safe.

Hello Doc,

Well, how does this letter find you? Is business OK? I heard you bought a lot of chickens. I wouldn’t mind being there to help you eat of couple of them, Ha Ha. I might be in Georgia sometime next month. I asked for a transfer to the parachute troop. They said they would give it to me, so be looking for me. I will take my training in Georgia. Lucile is getting along OK. I don’t get to see her hardly except on the weekend. How are all the mill hands? Most of them are still with you aren’t they? Tell them all hello for me. Well, I guess that’s all the news. So, take care of yourself.

Johnnie

P.S. Has Atlanta got a good ball team this year? What team is ahead?

The second letter on May 18, 1943 was to Lucile’s mother. He told both of her parents he was transferring to the parachute troop.

Dear Mom,

I am writing you a few lines to let you know that me and Lucile are OK. I hope this finds you well and the rest of the family the same. Say, has Robert left for the Army or Navy yet? I hope he makes out OK. I am getting a transfer over to the parachute troop. I will take my training in Georgia. It won’t be at Fort Benning. It will be at a new training camp they have in Georgia. It is about a hundred miles this side of North Carolina. I will be leaving sometime next month if nothing doesn’t happen. I will let you know more about it later on. How is Doc getting along lately? Is he still going to the ball games? Lucile said that Estil got turned down. She said he had high blood pressure. I bet he is happy over that. Well, I guess this is all the news for this time. So, tell all hello for me.

Love, Johnnie

Lucile wrote her mother a letter on June 7, 1943, postmarked from Whitesboro, Texas, 14 miles from Camp Howze.

Dear Mama and all,

I received your letter and my check. Sure was glad to get it and to hear from home. Hope this finds all well, as it leaves us OK, all except I have a headache pretty bad. I went to bed with a headache and got up with it. Sure is hot out here. I got a letter from Francis this morning. I sure was glad to hear from her. I guess she is pretty big now for she is so run down. I hope she don’t try to work in the field this year. She said she had two girls staying with her. I hope they will help her. How is Grandma getting along? I am going to write her tonight. Mama, did you take any pictures Sunday? When you get some made, send them and let us see them. We have been trying to get a camera ever since I have been out here to take some pictures. Poor little old Johnnie, he wants to come home so bad. He said to tell Daddy he had better get to protecting in playing horseshoes, for when he did get to come home, he would beat him, Ha Ha. Well Mama, as I am expecting Johnnie home now in a little bit I will have to close. So, write me soon. Thanks a lot for sending my money. Lots of love to all.

Lucile


Lucile

Johnnie’s next letter was to Lucile’s mother on June 18, 1943, when he shared that Lucile was still in Texas with him and would be writing her as well.

Hello Ma,

Well, I finally got time to answer your letter. I hope this finds you and Doc and the kids well. We are OK. I received the watch and the money. Thanks for getting it fixed for me. You talked about hot weather; we really are having some here also. I received a card from Robert and wrote him back but have not received an answer from him yet. I guess they are keeping him pretty busy training him. Well, that’s all I want to tell you; Lucile will be writing you so there isn’t much in getting two letters with the same thing. So, I will close. Lots love to all.

Johnnie


Lucile's mother, Leola Stacks


Lucille was still in Texas on June 20, 1943 when Johnnie wrote a letter to her dad, Sam “Doc” Stacks. We learn that he has been playing baseball at Camp Howze.

Hello Doc,

Well, how does this letter find you? It leaves Luke and I OK. Say, are you all having hot weather there? We are having our share of it. Say, how is Earl and Gearl running the farm? Have they got a big crop this year? How is the lumber business coming along? OK, I hope. Is Atlanta winning any ball games lately? What team is ahead? We have a good team in my outfit here. We have played six games and have just lost one. Not bad, is it. I still play my position I played when we played back there. As you know I was always good at shortstop, Ha Ha. Well, Doc as news is short, I will close. Hoping the family is all well and tell them all I said hello.

Johnnie and Lucile


Lucile’s father, Sam “Doc” Stacks

No comments:

Post a Comment