Thursday, April 27, 2023

May 2, 5, and 10, 1943

On May 1, 1943, Johnnie decided to enjoy the nice weather they were having in Texas and ventured out to a local park. In a moment of peace and quiet, he reflected on the good life he and Lucile had before the war. On May 2, 1943, he wrote Lucile and told her all the things he thought about while at the park. 

My Dearest Sweetheart,

Hello darling, I hope this finds you well and hoping this letter finds you thinking of me, as I am of you. Gosh, we are having pretty weather here. I went to the park yesterday and spent most of the day there. I didn’t think they had such a pretty park here in Gainesville, till the other day. I went out there and lay down on the grass and just got to thinking of the times we used to have. It sure does make you feel bad, thinking of the times we had together. Maybe they will all come back someday. Life is wonderful if you just think about it. The Jap’s spoiled everything for young married couples like me and you when they bombed Pearl Harbor. But they are going to regret what they started, even if I have to give my life away, just so this war gets over with, where other young married people can enjoy themselves, like me and you did before this war broke it all up. That’s what I mean when I say life is wonderful, where you can live and be free and don’t have to think about wars. Where you can enjoy yourself and live like you want to. I guess you think I am crazy, but that is just how I think about things. So, you see if anything does happen to me while this war is going on, you will know just how I feel about things. You can bear in mind later on in the years just how I felt about how wonderful life can be. You know a man gets to thinking about those things, when he’s away from home, and when your Mother is bad off sick, and away from his loved ones, like you, my sisters, your Mother and Dad, it really gets you. Honey, I sent your Mother, or shall I say our Mother one of those pillar sliptops like I got you. I hope she likes it. At least she will know I am thinking of her. I am going to try to get Doc something later on to remember me by. I didn’t have the money this time. I am sending you three pictures. Its about the worst picture I have ever had made. Well Sugar, I guess this is all the news.

So, lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. Remember me as I used to be. Remember the night I held you so close to me. Remember me as a happy go lucky fool, Darling the night I met you.

P.S. Remember. 

Love, Johnnie


Johnnie and Lucile


Johnnie’s mother (Hattie Evelyn Prather Marston Scaffe) succumbed to cancer at a hospital in Miami, Florida on May 5, 1943 at the age of 49. The Army granted him leave to attend her funeral held in Miami, Florida on May 8.

Obituary from The Miami News, Miami, Florida, May 6, 1943

Photo by Robert Adlet, Find A Grave ID 47013499.
(Photo used with permission granted on Find A Grave
profile; https://www.findagrave.com/user/profile/47013499).

Johnnie wrote this letter to Lucile from Miami on May 10, 1943. It appears he planned to stop in Georgia to see Lucile before going back to Texas.

Dear Darling,

I received your letter today. I didn’t know what happened to you. I sent two telegrams telling you I was leaving to come down here. I am really sorry you weren’t there to get them. I really have the worst of luck. I am not going to write anything about Mother leaving us. I will tell you about it when I see you. This is Monday at Noon. I am leaving tonight. I think I will arrive there Thursday morning or sometime Thursday. All I can say is for you to be at the station every time there is a train due. I will close. Louise and Kate and all said hello.

Love, Johnnie

Johnnie’s sisters, Louise and Kate Marston

No comments:

Post a Comment