Thursday, April 6, 2023

April 3, 5 and 10, 1943

Johnnie took a break at Noon on Saturday, April 3, 1943 to write a letter to Lucile from Camp Howze. He was worried about his mother yet trying to console Lucile. She must have written Johnnie and shared her feelings of being unable to go to Miami. 

My Dear Baby,

I received your sweet little letter today and was sure glad to hear from you. Honey don’t worry too much about Mother. There isn’t much we can do now. As you know the doctor told me that the cancer in her throat has gone so far that it was impossible to save her, not unless a miracle happens. And if praying does her any good, that’s one thing I’ve been doing all the time. I have been pretty run down since I saw how bad Mother looked. I’ve been nervous and been smoking about two packs of cigarette a day. I know that it isn’t good for me but I just can’t help it. Honey I understand about you not going to be able to go see Mother and I want you to pay your Daddy what you owe him because he’s been so good to us. So, go ahead and pay him and forget about the cigarettes I asked you to get for me. I shall have thought about paying your Daddy anyway. Tell Dot and them I received their letters they wrote to me and you when you were here and that I will answer them as quick as I can. Tell them all hello for me and that I hope to see them all soon. Well, I guess that’s all for this time so answer back right away.

Lots lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. The boys here in camp says while I was on my furlough that an order came around to be ready to be shipped out at any time. I didn’t believe them but Eitel, you know the fellow you met in the cafĂ© that night says we will be shipped somewhere. He is sending for his wife, just in case this is the last time he will see her. Honey don’t worry much about it. Because I don’t believe it’s true. I will let you know more about it in my next letter. I am going to town now to try to find you something for your birthday. It won’t be much, but you know I am remembering you anyway. 

So lots lots and love and love to you. Johnnie

You saw Johnnie used USO stationery to write his March 31, 1943 letter to Lucile. According to Wikipedia, the USO, “a nonprofit organization that provides live entertainment, such as comedians and musicians, and other programs to members of the United States Armed Forces and their families,” was very active at Camp Howze. Among other events, they organized shows to entertain the troops, often including the soldiers in the show themselves, dances, dinners, and sponsored baseball games. One of their events took place the first weekend of April 1943 when they brought actor and comedian Guy Kibbee in for two performances in a variety show production of “Show Time at the Roxy.” Even though Johnnie was sad and sick, he may have attended one of the performances that weekend, possibly as a distraction of all he had on his mind.


United Service Organizations Inc. (public domain, via Wikimedia Commons)
 

Guy Kibbee (public domain, via Wikimedia Commons)

In Johnnie’s April 5, 1943 letter to Lucile from Camp Howze, he expressed how sorry he was that he let Lucile go back to Georgia so fast. He was regretting it now.

Dear Darling,

I received your sweet letter tonight and was sure glad to hear from you. I am glad you’re well and I hope you like your job. Let me know what you have to do. Let’s see, you said you was starting in at twelve dollars a week. You’ll be mighty sick in no time then, ha. Have you heard from Mother or Louise or any of them yet? Say, I’m really tired tonight. If you were here in town and I came there to see you, I really don’t believe I could do you much good, Ha, Ha. No kidding honey, I miss you more than ever now. I was crazy to let you go back home so quick. You know lately, I don’t think my mind is working right. I have crazy thoughts and sometimes catch myself doing the crazy things. Well honey, it’s getting pretty late and my head is giving me pains. I believe I will close and go to bed. Honey, I am going to hold up on that present for your birthday because I want to get enough money to get you something real nice. So, tell all hello for me. Goodnite.

Love, Johnnie

When Johnnie wrote Lucile at lunchtime on Sunday, April 10, 1943 from Camp Howze, one minute he was laughing about her eating a lot of potato chips at work, the next minute fretting over his mother dying of cancer and whether he would be able to handle her death.

My Dear Darling,

I received your sweet letter yesterday evening and was sure glad to hear from you. Say, since you got that job, you really think you are it, don’t you? Ha Ha. You say you get a lots of potato chips to eat. I bet you hate to look at them now, Ha Ha. I am feeling much better now, I don’t believe I will feel like I used to anymore. I guess its from thinking of Mother, going away, and not being able to do anything about it. I received a letter from Kate the other day. She said the cancer has made a big knot come up on Mother’s throat, and that the doctor told her that it was just a matter of time now. I don’t know whether I am going to be able to face it or not. Honey don’t worry about me. I’ll make it some way. Tell Mickey and Geral and them all to write me. I hope you like the presents I sent you darling. I wish I could have got you something better. Well, I guess that’s all the news for this time. So be good and God bless you all.

Lots lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. Tell all hello for me.



Lucile

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s mother on April 10, 1943 expressing concern for his mother. It was probably all he had on his mind at the time.

Hello Ma,

 I hope this letter finds you well. It leaves me not so well. As you know, the reason is about Mother’s sickness. When I went down to see her, it didn’t look like her at all. She has lost so much weight. I doubt if she weighed sixty-five pounds now. It really got me knowing she is going to pass away and I can’t do nothing about it. I received a letter from my sister and she said that the cancer has done caused a big knot to come up on her throat and she said that the doctor said it was just a matter of time now. We are leaving this camp pretty soon. At least that’s what some of the boys here in camp say. My buddy that sleeps next to me said that an order came while I was on my furlough to be ready to leave at any time soon. So that’s that. How is Doc and the kids getting along? Tell them all hello for me. How is little Melvin getting along? Is he growing any? Tell him I hope to see him soon. Well, I guess that’s all for this time. So, lots lots love.

Johnnie

 P.S. tell Mickey and Gearl hello

No comments:

Post a Comment