Thursday, March 30, 2023

March 31 and April 2, 1943

Johnnie wrote Lucile from Gainesville, Texas on March 31, 1943 to let her know he made it back to camp. Tired, broke, and sad—but he made it back safely.

My Dear Darling,

I arrive here about an hour ago. I sure am tired. I didn’t sleep over five hours coming down. I lost four pounds on the trip Darling. Mother sure does look bad. I liked to not know her. I doubt if she weighs seventy-five pounds. I am sorry I couldn’t come by to see the family but my ticket didn’t call for me to go that way and as you know I didn’t have no money to buy another ticket to come. I am supposed to pay the Red Cross back tomorrow. That’s what worries me now. Honey if you have any money, what about sending me two or three cartoons of Philip Morris cigarettes or something to smoke because by the time I pay the Red Cross the money I owe them, and I owe a little debt to one of the boys in camp, I will be luckie to have a pair of pants to wear, Ha Ha. O yeah, don’t forget to send me the Atlanta Constitution paper once and awhile. O yeah, Kate was just coming down to see Mother when I left. She was coming in Sunday nite at eight o’clock and my train was leaving at seven thirty so you see I just missed seeing her just a half hour. Well I guess that’s all the news for this time so answer back right away.

Love, Johnnie

That trip took a toll on Johnnie’s health. In a letter dated April 2, 1943 from Camp Howze, he told Lucile he had been sick since he returned to camp. He had paid most of the money back owed to the Red Cross.

My Dear Darling,

I have been back in camp two days and I have been pretty sick the two days too. I lost six pounds while I was on my furlough. I have not eaten a thing since yesterday at dinner and the way I feel now, I won’t be eating nothing today either. Honey, I want to wish you a happy birthday and if I can get some money, I will get you something. I took the money that belongs to you and the little I had and paid on the fifty dollars I owe the Red Cross. I just owe them ten more dollars. I thought the money you had here and the money I thought I was going to draw, I could pay it all, but I didn’t draw but eighteen dollars this time and I owe eight to the boys around here and that just left me ten, so all I could … [the rest of this letter is missing].

As you can see from the “acknowledgment” receipt below, Johnnie agreed to re-pay the $50 he borrowed from the Red Cross on April 1, 1943. Unfortunately, he was unable to make that happen until much later in the year.


Red Cross acknowledgment (click to enlarge)

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s mother on April 2, 1943. As always, he asked about Lucile’s family members. 

Dearest Mom,

Well, I hope this letter finds you well. It leaves me OK. Well, I believe summer is here because we are having some hot weather here and I mean hot. We have changed into our summer uniform and I sure was glad to. I bet it’s kindy warm there? Isn’t it? Say, I hope you like the pillow top I sent you. I think it has a pretty poem on it. Say, you never wrote me and told me about your garden. How is Doc? Is he well? Tell him hello for me and ask him how the baseball games are going. How is the rest of the family coming? I hope they are all well. Tell them all hello for me. Well, I guess this is all the news for this time so I will close. Lots lots love.

Johnnie 

No comments:

Post a Comment