Thursday, March 16, 2023

March 3 and 4, 1943

Johnnie shared scary news in his March 3, 1943 letter to Lucile having sustained an injury from a gun accident. You also saw a bit of jealousy unleashed as he talked about other soldiers writing Lucile and her writing them back.

My Dear Darling Wife,

How are you tonite my sweet? I hope you are well. I am not feeling so good for myself. I got hit today with the butt of an army rifle, by accident, and it knocked me out for about a minute. I have a knot on my head as big as an egg and I been having a headache all day long. I believe its one of the hardest licks I have ever had. Well let’s skip that and talk about you. What have you been doing all this week? I guess you’ve been visiting all this week. Have you? Say, you said in one of your letters that you were very populus with the soldiers. One of them that’s writing you better not be Dean because I never did trust that guy anyway. You didn’t mention all the fellows that was writing you, you know that yourself. Now did you? Honey, I don’t mind Arnold writing you, but I don’t want Sanford or Dean writing you. I know that dam Sanford isn’t any good. I don’t know much about Dean. But it will be best for him not to write you. So, if either one is writing you, quit answering them, and I mean that to. You can call it jealous or what you want to, or I will go so far to tell you I am jealous. So, you know what to do, don’t you? How is Doc getting along? Fine, I hope. Tell him hello for me. How is Grandma? I hope she is not sick, why hasn’t she wrote me. I believe I wrote her last. O yeah, I wrote Cecil and Jenny and Maud. I guess they have got it by now, have they? Well Babe, I guess that is all the news for this time. So honey, I will close.

So, lots lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. How many letters have you got from me now. I bet you gots at least fifteen this week. Love Johnnie

How do you like that I love you.


In his March 4, 1943 letter to Lucile, Johnnie wrote about a discussion he had with his company command about leaving the Army, as well as some time off.

My Dear Darling Wife,

I received your letter tonite telling me about the phone call. Well I have been over to see my company command and he said the Army is letting some of the men out of the Army, but he said it would be kindly hard for me to get out, just to go back to farm or help on a farm. He said just about all of the men in the Army would give that in just to get out. He said I could go ahead and try to get out. He said he would have to get some certain papers for me to fill out and another thing, he said if I ask for a six months furlough, they would just give me about two or three. So honey, I don’t believe I will try to get out. Another thing he said was it would take such a long time for all of that stuff to go through so I guess we will have to drop that. Tell your Daddy I appreciate what he was trying to do and thanks alots, and try to explain to him just how things are. O yeah honey, you said for me to call your Daddy Wednesday nite. Well I didn’t get the letter till tonight and the nite is Thursday nite. So, you see this letter you sent air mail and special delivery was four days getting here. Say have you got your money yet? You ought to have by now. Thanks for mentioning that. You will help me pay my laundry bill. It sure is going to be a hell of alots, Ha Ha.

No kidding honey. I believe I will be going crazy if I don’t see you soon. Not for what you think I am talking about. But because I have never been away from you this long. It’s really about to get me. Honey, words can’t describe just how much I love you, I don’t believe it can be described. And I really mean that.

Well I guess that’s all for this time. So, lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. I love you darling, Johnnie



Lucile and daughter Diane standing in front of the
Stacks home (ca. 1946, after the war)

No comments:

Post a Comment