Thursday, March 9, 2023

March 1 and 2, 1943

You hear a song and it brings back memories that take you to a special place. That is where Johnnie was when he wrote Lucile from Camp Howze on March 1, 1943.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well here it is Monday and I have done put in a half day training. I hope this letter finds you OK. It leaves me feeling fine. We get paid today at four o’clock. That is about three hours from now. Honey the radio is on and the song that is playing now is “I Don’t Want to Walk Without You Baby.” Boy, that song sure brings back remembers of the good old days with you. Don’t you hear a tune on the radio sometime and think of the times we had, and the places we were when we heard them. You remember when we first heard the tune of the Chattanooga sho sho? You remember how Harry used to dance around when he heard it? We were in good old Minnie at the time. Mother said that Bill got a letter from Harry and he said he has seen action twice with the Japs so far. He said that Harry said it was fun out-smarting the dirty Japs. You know Harry has alots of nerve, and I bet he is doing his part of fighting too. I wish him the best luck in the world, and I hope we all meet again after this is all over with. How is everybody getting along around Stacksville? Tell them all I asked about them. Well Honey, I guess that is all the news for this time.

So, lots lots love. To my most dearest one. 

Johnnie

Click here to hear the song “I Don’t Want to Walk Without You Baby” sung by Rosemary Clooney.

Johnnie wrote Lucile a second letter from Camp Howze the night of March 1, 1943. As usual, he wrote about writing letters to her and other family and friends. He also wrote about the power of love.

My Dear Darling,

I have just come back from the mail call, and I got the one letter I was expecting most and that was from you. I am glad you are getting most of my letters, and I am going to try to write as many as I can when I get time to. I have written you one already today. I guess you will get this one about the same time as soon as you get the other one. You look at the date on some of those letters you have got in the past week and you will see at least two was mailed each day. Skip what I said about you going to see me or Marie. I know you will be out to see me before you go anywhere else because I got my power of love on you, Ha Ha. No joking about it honey, you are the one that’s going to make me go through this war, because I have something to live for. It’s OK about the folks not writing me, because I have something to live for. It’s OK about the folks not writing me, because I shall have known they are pretty busy this time of the year. So that takes care of that. I will write Cecil and his wife tonight to tell him I said I would let him kick me the next time I see him for not writing him, Ha Ha. I also will write Arnold too. I am going to give all them soldier friends of yours hell for paying too much attention to my wife, Ha Ha. I guess they know just how good a sweetheart I have, and they are trying to beat my time with you, Ha Ha. I am glad to hear you are having such pretty weather there. The weather is nice here to. Say you said you was on the go all the time and that you never stayed home much, but you never told me where you are going, now is that nice, Ha Ha. Honey you know Mother and them care alots for you, and you know they always took their time about answering letters when I was home. So, don’t think that I am sure you will get an answer from her soon. Well I guess that is all the news for this time.

So, lots lots love, Johnnie

 

A lone envelope in the letter collection, postmarked February 28, 1943, shows that Arnold Pair did in fact write Lucile.



A change in weather took Johnnie by surprise—he wasn’t expecting snow and sleet! He wrote Lucile Tuesday evening, March 2, 1943 from Camp Howze to tell her about it.

My Dear Darling,

Well here it is another day almost gone and I hope this finds you well. Boy the weather here sure is changing since I wrote you last. It is cold as hell here today and it has been sleeting and snowing to make it that much worse. It was so nice and warm yesterday. I never thought the weather would change like this. Say have you got your money yet? Let me know, will you. Well its about time for the class to start again, so I will close. I will write another letter tonight.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

P.S. We are having classes inside today because of the weather. 

Love, Johnnie

Johnnie wrote Lucile a second letter Tuesday night, March 2, 1943 from Camp Howze. 

My Dear Darling Wife,

Well how are you tonite. I hope you are well. I am OK. Gee chicken you don’t know just how bad I am getting just to see you, I am getting horned as hell, you get what I mean, don’t you? I haven’t been around you so long, I won’t know just how to act with you when I am around you. So, if I do go out of the way just a little bit, don’t think I am crazy, will you? I mean when you come down to see me, and of course when we are alone. Its still cold as the devil here. Gee this weather here sure is crazy as hell. One day, or shall I say week, it is warm, then it just changes the other way, and what I mean the other way is that it is cold as hell. Well Babe, do you still love me, or do you worship me now. You know that one thing you don’t have to ask me, because you are the one, and the only. Of course, I don’t have to ask you but I do, just to remind you, Ha Ha. Well Babe I guess that is all the news for this time. O yeah, I wrote you today, I guess you will get this one about the same time as the one I wrote today.

Well lots lots lots lots and lots love, Johnnie

And hoping to be laying or sitting by you soon.

 Love, Johnnie


Lucile

No comments:

Post a Comment