Thursday, March 23, 2023

March 7, 10, 15-25, and 28, 1943

Lucile is planning a trip to Texas! After receiving a telegram from her that most likely confirmed her trip, Johnnie wrote a letter on March 7, 1943 to discuss housing while she visited. 

My Dear Darling,

I received your telegram. I was expecting it in a way, but it was kindly surprising at that. Honey, when you do get here at Gainesville, you can ask anybody there how to get out here to camp. They have guest houses here in camp, so as soon as you get in camp find out how to get nearest one to me. You can only stay in the guest house three days, but I believe you another to find a place in Gainesville while you are staying there three days. The reason I having find you a place is I having had much time too. I don’t want you to come till a day after you receive this letter. It would be better if you got here on a Saturday evening, then me and you both could go hunt a place to stay. What do you think of that? Answer this right back, or you can come anytime you want to. But be sure you arrive during the daytime. The reason I want you to stay till a day after you get this letter is I am sending you a little banner flag and I want you to see it before you leave. I think its real nice myself. Honey the reason I sent that telegram collect is I am short of cash. I just answered the mail call and received a letter from you. I am glad you heard from Mother and Louise because I know how you was worried about them. Well, I guess that’s all the news for this time. 

So, Lots Lots Love. Johnnie

 

Johnnie’s sister Louise Marston with one of her husband’s and child

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s mother on March 10, 1943 from Camp Howze. 

Hello Mom,

I received your letter today and was sure glad to hear from you. I hope this letter finds you well. I am feeling pretty well myself. My foot finally got well and I sure am glad too. It really gave me trouble for a while. About that phone call, that’s OK now, but when you are not expecting something like that, it kindly makes you feel shakey, you know what I mean? Well that’s over with now, so let’s forget it. I hope Henry Ford knows what he is talking about when he said the war would be over with some time in April. There will be lots of boys happy, I know that. Tell Mickey not to quit his music lessons because he’ll be proud of it later on. Tell him I said that. Also, tell him there’s one thing people appreciate and that’s music. They might send me nearer home after my basic training is over. There will be a lot of us shipped to different camps. Well, it’s about time for the lights to go out so I will close for this time. So, lots lots love.

Johnnie

Tell everybody hello.

As instructed in Johnnie’s March 7 letter, Lucile must have left for Texas after she received his letter. The image below is a temporary pass for Camp Howze Lucile received for the period March 15 – 25, 1943


Front of Lucile's temporary pass for Camp Howze (click to enlarge)
 

Back of Lucile's temporary pass for Camp Howze (click to enlarge)

Maybe not for this trip, but Johnnie and Lucile’s son Randy remembers his mother talking about her visit to Texas. She told him Gainesville was just a little country town with nothing to do there. To entertain themselves, they sat on the porch at night and watched the tarantulas running around under the streetlight. Lucile told Randy she stayed at a boarding house with another couple. She got to know them and the woman who ran the boarding house and said they were nice, she enjoyed their company.

On March 22, Johnnie borrowed $50 from the Red Cross so he could travel to Miami, Florida to see his mother who was on her deathbed. It would probably be the last time he would see her alive. Based on the temporary pass, Lucile left Texas on March 25. Johnnie wasted no time in traveling to Miami after she left. His next letter was written Sunday night, March 28, 1943 from Miami and was very sad.

My Dear Darling,

I received your letter yesterday afternoon and was sure glad to hear from you and to know you got back OK. Honey, you shall see Mother. She does not look like herself at all. I doubt if she weighs seventy-five pounds now. She really looks bad. She doesn’t know she’s got cancer of the throat. She thinks its just a tumor. The doctor said it would be best not to let her know for she would just pass away that much quicker. She can’t talk except in a whisper. I tried to act right when I went up to see her, but I couldn’t. Tears coming out of my eyes and me trying to hold them back. You understand, don’t you? There isn’t a chance for her and I know she isn’t going to be here much longer. She sure does want to see you and I want you to come see her as quick as you can get the money. Louise said to wire her when you are coming down and she would meet you at the station, either the bus or train. I am leaving back for camp tonight. Wish you were back out there to meet me at the station, Ha Ha. Maybe I will get another furlough next month sometime and I will be home for a while. I hope so. I am leaving tonight with just sixty cents in my pocket to eat what I can on the way back. Boy, what a life, Ha Ha. Honey, I guess by the time you get this letter I will be back in camp. So, write me there. 

So, lots lots love

P.S. tell Happy, Louise and Evelyn I said hello. Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment