Thursday, November 9, 2023

May 1, 2, and 3, 1944

The first week and a half of May 1944 was spent “in a defensive position north of the City of Minturno, Italy.” Patrols went out nightly and made contact with the enemy on several occasions. “The men learned to distinguish their own outgoing shells from the enemy’s and in addition to sense the direction and distance of incoming shells.” 

Johnnie’s friend, Henry Thurman, killed in action in Italy on February 6, 1944, was awarded a Purple Heart in May 1944 according to two articles published in the Atlanta Constitution. The medal was to be presented posthumously by Major Samuel Mear of the Special Service Division, Headquarters, Fourth Service Command, to Henry’s wife at College Park Baptist Church. 


Published in the Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia, April 30 and May 4, 1944, respectively (click image to enlarge)

In the four letters Johnnie wrote to Lucile during this period, he never mentioned what was happening on the front. Instead, he shared his feelings about his in-laws, whom he dearly loved, in his May 1, 1944 V-mail to Lucile.

My Dearest Darling,

I received a letter from you today. Sure was glad to hear from you and to know you are well and alright. I am glad you finally made up your mind about learning to drive. I hope you make out OK at it. Honey, do you know whether Doc received any mail from me in the last month and a half? I wrote him a card and also a letter. I know not to expect a letter from him because he is pretty busy all the time, but I thought if he has received any mail from me you would say something about it in your letters to me. Lou, I want you to tell Doc I miss the swell time me and him have had together when I was home like the old ball games and other things we did. Also tell Ma Stacks I miss her good cooking and her giving me the devil about something, Ha Ha. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie was looking for his brother-in-law’s address and for the second time, mentioned the house he would like to buy when he gets home in his May 2, 1944 V-mail to Lucile. 

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope that this finds you the same. How are you doing at your job? Have they started you working overtime again? What about Nell? Has she said anything about when she will be home? I want you to send me Robert’s address if you know it and I will drop him a line. I haven’t written him but one time since he’s been in the service and that was when he first came in. Honey, who lives in the house I like so well down below Woodrow? I hope they take good care of it because I am planning on buying it after all this is over with. That will be just what I need when I do get out. What do you think about the place? Don’t say you like it just because I like it. I want you to tell me the true facts of what you think. Well Darling, I will have to close. I am going to try and drop Ma and Doc a line. So, keep writing. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 


Johnnie’s brother-in-law, Robert Astin

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s parents a V-mail on May 2, 1944 expressing shock over the death of Leroy Stacks. Leroy was his father-in-law Sam’s nephew, so it hit close to home. 

Dear Ma and Doc,

Just a few lines to let you know I haven’t forgot you and to let you know I am well and OK. I hope this finds you both and the rest of the family well and OK too. Well, good old warm weather is here again and I bet it is really nice back there at home. I was really shocked when I heard about Leroy. I still can’t believe it. I wrote Aunt Lois a line and told her how sorry I felt about it. I know it hit you all pretty hard and a great shock to you all. I hope the guy gets what he deserves and I am sure he will. Let me know what the result is when he goes on trial. Doc, how is the baseball games going to come out this year? Sure wish I was there to go with you. We used to have some swell times together didn’t we. I miss every bit of it too. Ma, how is your front yard coming out? OK, I hope. Let Mickey and Geral do most of the work. It will do them good, Ha Ha. Will close. Lots love to you all. Keep smiling. 

Johnnie

Lt. General Mark Clark, Commanding Fifth Army, visited the Regiment on May 2 and complimented them on the appearance of their position. Johnnie did not mention the visit in either of his May 2 letters.


Lieutenant General Mark W. Clark, U.S. Army, beachhead near Anzio, Italy, January 22, 1944
(photo by U.S. Army Signal Corps, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons)

Johnnie missed Lucile and told her his true feelings from the last night he saw her when he wrote his May 3, 1944 V-mail.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines hoping that this finds you well and OK. As for myself, I am OK, just get a little blue once in a while for you. Well Darling, I have been overseas five months. By the time you get this, it will be close to six months. It seems five or six years to me since I seen you last. One thing though, I won’t forget that sweet look you had when I left you in the train station that night. I had one of the worse feelings that I ever had that night I left you, but I tried not to show how I felt as much as possible when I was with you. Honey, I will close for this time. Tell all the folks I said hello and to keep smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

On May 3, two prisoners were captured by the 3rd Battalion, the first to be taken by the Regiment. On May 5, the Regiment’s first prisoner (a Company “C” man) was captured by the enemy who snuck into their position early that morning. The Regiment also received the attack order to begin the Allied offensive in Italy, and immediately began making necessary plans and preparations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment