Thursday, November 30, 2023

May 21, 22, 24, 25, and 26, 1944

The Regiment continued to push west. By May 17, they had taken Trivio and Maranola. The march continued through Fondi, Monte San Biagio, M. Copiccio, and M. Autone among others. Johnnie was very busy, something he alluded to in his May 21, 1944 V-mail. But that did not stop him from thinking about Lucile and the rest of the family.

My Dearest Darling,

I am sorry I haven’t written you sooner than I have but as things are going now, I have been pretty busy. You know every chance I get, I will write you so please don’t think I am not writing if you don’t get mail from me as regular as you have been. Honey, your letters mean alot to me so keep writing as often as you can. Please tell Doc and Ma Stacks I received the fruit cake, and that I thought it was swell and I am sorry that they had to go to so much trouble getting it for me. Well honey, I will close for this time so keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

Johnnie must have kept track of how often he received a letter from Lucile. And he often let her know like he did in his May 22, 1944 V-mail.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope that this finds you in the best of health and sweet as ever. I haven’t heard from you in about four days now. The last letter I received from you, you were telling me about Robert and Nell coming home and that you have sent me the watch and telling me how lucky you were to get it so cheap. Sure will be glad when it arrives. Honey, I want to thank you again for sending it. I have about three months pay coming and as soon as I get it and if it is possible, I will send it all home. Honey, it really made me feel good to get a letter from Doc. Please tell him that for me. I will close for now. I miss you a lot Darling, and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Nell Stacks, Evelyn Dingler (Geral’s wife), Elvie Orr, Lucile Stacks

Johnnie had lots of questions in his May 24, 1944 V-mail to Lucile. It was probably easier to ask her questions than it was to avoid subjects that he could not write about.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope that this finds you the same. Well how are things around home now? Are you having any trouble keeping things going? How is your job coming along? Are they keeping you pretty busy? How did Drex ever come with the Army? I am sorry to hear about Cecil. Hope he makes out OK. Thanks a lot for sending me the pen and pencil set. I haven’t received them yet, but I received the letter saying that you sent them. Will close. Keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

By May 25, the “road to the Anzio beachhead was opened” and they “assembled in the vicinity of Terracina for a well-deserved rest.” For the first time in weeks and once the beach was cleared of mines by the engineers, the Regiment was able to bathe, catch up on sleep, and repair and clean their equipment. Johnnie took time on May 25, 1944 to write a V-mail to Lucile, and in his normal way, let her know life was busy in Italy.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope this finds you the same. Honey, your letters have been coming to me pretty regular and it really makes me feel good to know you are writing me regular. I guess by the time you get this, Louise and Evelyn will be up visiting you if they come up in June like you say. I haven’t heard from them in a good while and I haven’t written anybody in a long time except you and I haven’t had time to write to you lately like I wanted to. But Darling, don’t worry if you don’t hear from me like you have been. I will write you every chance I get. Will close. So, keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


Lt. Col. Stanley R. Lauferski directs his mine platoon of the anti-tank company, 337th Regiment, in sweeping
the surf of the Terracina beach for mines, May 25, 1944. Photographer: Leibowitz, 163rd Signal Photo Company.
Photo source: U.S. National Archives. Digitized by Signal Corps Archive.

A baby was on the way! No, not Johnnie and Lucile’s but he shared his joy in his May 26, 1944 letter that his sister-in-law Nell was expecting.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope that this finds you the same. I received three letters from you today, also one from your Dad. In one of your letters you were telling me about Nell and Robert coming home, and that Nell was expecting a baby. I think that’s great. Tell her I said I didn’t think her, and Robert could do it, Ha Ha. You also said that you sent me the watches, sure am glad. Also, glad to hear you got it so cheap. I knew you could do it, Ha Ha. I am sorry to hear about Grandma. I hope by the time you get this she is a lot better. I will try to write her, but I don’t get to write much now and what I do write is mostly to you. Maybe later on I will be able to write more. I hope you can understand how things are now. I guess Aunt Agnes and Marie are gone back home now. Have you heard anymore about Louise and Evelyn coming up to see you? I’m sure they will come up, aren’t you? Did I tell you that Dad sent me Dave Bullard’s address? You remember him, don’t you? I just pray that all this will be over soon so we can have the happiness we once had. That will be one great day for us all. Well Darling, I will have to close of this time. So, keep praying and your chin up. Tell all the folks hello for me and to write. I miss you a lot Darling. And I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment