Thursday, December 7, 2023

May 30 and 31, 1944

On May 26, the Regiment found themselves in an area two miles south of Priverno where the 1st Battalion set up a defense line to protect the Division right flank. Everyone remained in position during the day then moved to a rest area in the Pontine Marshes near Sabaudia, a swampland in the Lazio Region of Italy. They spent a day swimming at the beach, exchanging clothing, and preparing for the combat that was coming. On May 29, several decorations were presented, and congratulations given for what had been achieved. The Regiment was also warned of what was to come—a stronger and more determined enemy. Before days end, the Regiment moved to an area near Cori. On May 30, the Regiment was told to relieve the two left battalions of the 30th Infantry, 3rd American Division and the command post was moved to the vicinity of Valmenti. The 1st Battalion (on the right) relieved the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry. Some time on May 30, 1944, Johnnie must have been thinking about the war and the things he had seen in Italy that he never expected to see in his lifetime. He was very reflective with his thoughts in a long letter he wrote to Lucile.

My Dearest Darling

Well, here it is about the month of May gone and good old summertime right around the corner. Honey you know this is the time of the year I really like. Everything of nature blooming up and all the birds building up their nests. Sometimes I don’t see why nations are fighting against each other in this world, with things so grand for us all, in all parts of this world. I just pray to God that all this will be over soon, be the only one that can end it and I am sure as soon as he thinks the people that are not living right come to their senses once more, he will end it. Lou, you get to thinking a lot of things over here after you have seen how this part of the world is tore up and the people being treated like they have been. It’s really got me down. I just hope and pray that when I am back home that God will lead us both to the good parts of life. Well honey, I hope you understand just how I feel. You can tell everybody that your husband is a changed man and you won’t be lying at all. Honey, how did little Mary ever come out? I hope she is a lot better. And poor old Grandma, is she any better? I hope so. Is Ma Stacks taking it easy? Gee, I wish she would take care of herself. I wish I was there. I grant you she would settle down then. I just wish I could tell you how much I think of your family, they’ve all been so swell since me and you first started going together and as for Doc for what he done, to help us all out. There can’t be another man that can beat him. That guy has been swell. Honey, have you heard from Louise or Evelyn lately whether they are coming up to see you or not? Tell them to write me, will you. I still like to hear from them both. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time so write me all you can and keep your chin up. May God Bless you and honey, I miss you an awful lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie
 

Burnt German scout car off the road near Cori, May 31, 1944. Photo by McCrosy, 163rd Signal Photo Company.
Photo Source: U.S. National Archives. Digitized by Signal Corps Archive. Public domain.

Johnnie also wrote Lucile’s parents a V-mail on May 30, 1944. He and Sam have an ongoing conversation going on about baseball in Atlanta.

Dear Folks,

I received the typed letter from you and was really glad to hear that you both are well and the rest of the family also. Doc, I am glad to hear that you are going to the ball games because I want you to let me know how Atlanta came out this year. Yes, I remember Deal and Marchall. They are darn good ball players. I am glad to hear they are still with them. Ma, don’t let nobody kid you. You can type real good. Gee, I am sorry to hear about Grandma. I hope she is a lot better by now. 

Lots lots love, Johnnie


On May 31, 1944, the Regiment, along with the 2nd Chemical Battalion and a medium tank company took part in a coordinated attack along the Division front in which they faced strong resistance as they pushed into Larinola. A Regimental command post was set up just south of Larinola in an abandoned German dugout. Thirty prisoners from the Hermann Göring Division, a German Luftwaffe armoured division, were captured that day. Before the day ended, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile. His humor comes out a lot in his letters and he often laughs at himself with a “Ha, Ha.” In this V-mail, Johnnie showed concern with regards to carrying on the Marston name. But just when you think he is going all serious on Lucile, BAM, there comes that humor! He must have really been pleased with himself this time because he gave that one three “Ha’s.”

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope this finds you the same. Say honey, you said that Nell was getting ready to have a kid. Gee, I surely hope she makes out OK, she being so small, but what I hear about that is a smaller woman can bear a baby better than a large woman. Am I right? In a way, now I wish that we had one. I surely have to get something to carry on the family name, even if it is a dog or something, Ha Ha Ha. Honey, I haven’t heard from you in a week now. I surely hope there isn’t anything wrong with you. I will have to close. So, keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Robert Astin, Nell Stacks Astin, and their daughter Judy (taken several years after this letter was written)

During the month of May, “the Regiment advanced 72 miles, took every assigned objective, captured 485 prisoners of war, and caused the enemy to withdraw in our sector and to abandon much equipment.” They did this by quickly replacing casualties and continuing to train replacements which totaled 51 officers and 1137 enlisted men in May. The medical team contributed a large part to their success. In the first three days of the May 11 offensive alone, the team evacuated over 500 men from the field and the “battalion surgeons and technicians worked tirelessly for days without sleep in aid stations that were always crowded beyond capacity.” They also had help from the Italian litter (stretcher) teams who were “under constant enemy fire.”
 

A German prisoner is given a drink of water at a U.S. medical center in at Altavilla, Italy, where he was treated
for wounds, September 20, 1943, Salerno area, Italy, 36th Infantry Division. Photographer: Oliver. Public domain.

The graves registrations personnel worked day and night to collect American and enemy bodies from the battlefield as quickly as possible. The supply team “functioned well under difficult conditions and rough terrain. Troops were seldom without food, water, ammunition, or necessary equipment. The Italian mule group helped facilitate resupply in the mountainous country. During the month of May, 13 Bronze Stars, 34 Purple Hearts, and 1175 Combat Infantryman Badges were awarded. Eleven officers and 169 enlisted men were killed in action; 44 officers and 756 enlisted men were wounded in action; and 1 officer and 44 enlisted men were missing in action.

No comments:

Post a Comment