Thursday, December 21, 2023

June 12, 14, and 18, 1944

The next photo, taken in June 1944, shows a pile of the many mines dug up by American engineers at the harbor in Civitavecchia, Port of Rome, during the cleaning up process by the Fifth Army in the Civitavecchia area of Italy. 


Photographer: Katz. Photo Source: U.S. National Archives.
Digitized by Signal Corps Archive. Public domain.

Lt. Gen. Mark Clark informed his troops “that they had broken the German armies opposing them in Italy.” In speaking to American, British, and French troops to welcome them to the “new rest center on the outskirts of Rome,” Clark told them “You men who captured Rome, I want to congratulate you from the bottom of my heart.” He urged them “to visit and study places of historic interest in Rome … watch your step. Don’t raise too much hell.”

The Regiment spent the next four days “in light training, relaxation, and inspections.” Johnnie used some of that time on June 12, 1944 to write his next letter to Lucile. 

My Dearest Darling,

Well, here it is about the middle of June, and I can bet you all the kids back there are really enjoying it, being out of school on summer vacation. I know I really used to take it all in when I was going to school. That was all I was ever looking forward to, was summer vacation, Ha, Ha. Honey, how is your health lately. I surely hope you have gained it all back. I wrote your Mother and Dot yesterday and of course also you. I wrote you one V-mail yesterday morning and a four page. Me, if I am guessing right, things aren’t going to be so good after all this war is over with, and money is going to be hard to get. Please don’t get me wrong Luke, I want you to have everything, because I know you didn’t have it when I was there. But if you look at it the way I do. If you do buy a car now. I mean a good one, it’s going to cost you and I bet you after this war I can get the same car for half the price you pay. Of course, if you need one, I say go ahead and buy it because what money you have is yours and I want you to get the best out of it. So much said for that. Luke, you should see me now. I doubt if you would know me. I have a tan on me that’s really dark brown. This Italy sun really burns you. I have long sideburns and a small mustache. As for my hair, it’s turning red. I guess it’s the sun. Well Darling, I will have to close for this time. Tell all the folks hello for me and to keep smiling. I miss you a lot Baby! And I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


The Stacks kids—Mary, Betty, and Melvin

Johnnie did in fact visit Rome as mentioned in his June 14, 1944 letter to Lucile. He was also not very happy with his sister Louise!

My Dearest Darling,

Received letter from you yesterday and was glad to hear that you are well and OK. Dot wrote me that you are going to buy you a car. Is that right? I guess if you get you a good one, it will come to a pretty good price. You must be in the money now, Ha Ha. I am sending you some more at the end of this month. But if you don’t mind, if I have anything to say about it, I would like for you to keep what I send you as later on we might need it. I hope you understand. I had to stop. I am going to try and finish it now. I received a letter from you yesterday telling me about Louise being in Atlanta and not taking no time to come and see you after you work so hard fixing up the house for her. It really burnt me up and as soon as I finish writing this to you, I am going to write her and tell her just what I think and believe me I will. She put me in a bad spot also. I just wonder what Mom Stacks and Doc thought about that. Don’t worry about it honey. If she wants to be that way that’s OK with us, isn’t it? I had a chance to visit Rome, Italy the other day and I had some pictures made. It cost me a little money, but I knew you wanted a picture of me so I had some made. At the end of this letter, I will put the names I am sending them too. I was going to send Louise one but that’s out now. I sent you twenty-five more dollars yesterday. Let me know if you got it. I received a letter from Kate yesterday. Also, she didn’t have much to say. Wanted to know if I was OK and telling me that she was doing well now and that the kids was OK. Well honey, I will have to close for this time, so keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot. And I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

P.S. I am sending a picture to Dot and Drex, Nell and Robert, Mom and Doc Stacks, Grandma and Dad. Three to you. Love, Johnnie

Once again Johnnie felt he needed to remind Lucile in a June 14, 1944 V-mail that he would not be able to write as often as he wanted to because of the war.

My Dearest Darling,

Received two letters yesterday. One from you and one from sister Nell. Sure was glad to hear from you after not hearing from you in a week. I know my mail to you is not coming like it was for awhile, but lately I haven’t had much time to write. Don’t get the idea I don’t want to write because every chance I have so far I have wrote you. Remember in my other letters to you I wrote and told you there would be days ahead that I won’t be able to write. There was quite a few I wasn’t able to write. I really hope you understand how things are now and try to bear it the best you can. Well, I will close for this time. Keep your chin up. Keep smiling! I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

On June 15, the Regiment moved to a “rest area on the grounds of the Castel Fusano, near the resort town of Lido D’Roma on the sea.” They began intense technical and tactical training, physical conditioning, disciplinary drills, and preparation for future combat. They used the time to train replacements, review lessons learned, and practice marksmanship and weapons firing. A fortified area was set up and “each battalion ran this course twice firing live ammunition,” including using a company of tanks in their practice operations. The troops were granted time to see the city of Rome and many visited the Fifth Army Rest Center. A beach was cleared for their use and a former night club by the sea was opened for the enlisted men. The USO provided shows and movies. Showers were available and clothing exchange units set up. Music was provided by the Regimental bugle and drum corps for several battalion retreat parades, one of which was attended by Major General John B. Coulter who decorated the Regimental colors and company guidons with combat streamers and presented nine Silver Star medals.

Johnnie held his father-in-law, Sam “Doc” Stacks, in high regard and he shared that with Lucile in a June 18, 1944 letter.

My Dearest Wife,

Just a line or two to let you know I am well and hope that this finds you in the best of health and making out OK back there at home. I received two letters from you yesterday and I thought they were swell. Honey, you said in one of your letters that you should not be telling me your troubles. Well, I want you to because I may can help you out in them. You understand what I mean? Honey, you said when I do come back home, you weren’t going to let me out of your sight. You won’t have to worry about that. You have a changed Johnnie now and I mean changed. I am just realizing what a dope I was when I was home. I just pray now for everything to go along OK so I can show you after all this is over with, the good things about life. You say Virgil’s son is over here in Italy now. I may run into him someday. I hope so. I would like to see the kid. I sure hope I receive the watch you sent me. It should have arrived by now if you sent it when you said you did. Tell Mom I don’t care how long it takes her to write me a letter. Just to know she is writing makes me feel swell. And honey another thing, about your father, if I could only be a guy like him and build myself up among the people he has dealt with, and have friendships with them all, that’s all I would ask for. If he can do things with what little he got, then many guys can do that. Has … [the end of the letter is missing].


Johnnie’s father-in-law, Sam Stacks 

No comments:

Post a Comment