Thursday, December 28, 2023

June 20, 22, and 24, 1944

Johnnie wrote a long letter to Lucile on June 20, 1944 in which he put his thoughts and feelings out in the open. They had apparently had some hard times before he went to war, but he had learned a lot since then. 

My Dearest Darling,

Received three letters from you yesterday. That’s the way they came. A couple of weeks may go by and I won’t hear from you. But when I do hear from you, I get three or four at a time. I also received a letter from Sis Dot. Sure am sorry to hear that little Carol is having so much sickness. I surely hope by the time you receive this, she is well. What about you Darling? I really hope and pray that you are well. That’s all I think about, wondering if you are having any sickness and praying that you are making out well and OK back there at home. I haven’t received the watch yet. Surely hope it gets to me. Say you can send me some airmail stamps if you expect my letters to get to you quickly, Ha Ha. I am out and they are not suitable now to get. Also, I am sending you some money this month if I get paid and I am at a place where I can send it. Say honey, look in the paper and get me that Serial on Dear Buddy. I think that’s the name of it. Its just a small article in the paper, but what I have read in them, what the other fellows had was pretty good. Send it every day if possible. Say you are doing alright saving your money. I think you’re swell for doing it. I know a lot of guys here that are writing to their wives and giving them the devil about not saving any money. I’m not worried about how you are running things back home, because I know now, you will handle things to the best of your knowledge. I remember you always made things meet, when I always had given up hope. And you did wonderful in making me realize a lot of things that had to be done after we were married. A lot of things that happened right after we got married, that was mostly my fault. I should have gotten a good licking. Or if you would tell me what you thought, I believe I would have seen the light of things much quicker; you get what I mean? But I guess as the old saying goes, you got to live and learn. And I almost lost you in going through all of that. I just hope I can get back home soon so I can repay you for what you have done for me. I want to say again Lou, you have been wonderful, and you have done great things for me and made me see the light of things. Well honey, I will have to close for this time. So, tell all the folks hello for me and to write and you keep your chin up and keep smiling. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

P.S. Have you a small picture of me taken before I came into the Army? If so, send it to me. I want to see how much I have changed in looks, Ha Ha. Will send it back in return letter to you.


Johnnie and Lucile

Below is one of the “Dear Buddy” columns Johnnie mentioned in Johnnie’s June 20 letter.


The Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia, March 26, 1944.

Lucile’s paternal first cousin, Virgil “Irvin” Stacks Jr., was also serving his country during World War II. Like Johnnie, he was highlighted in the “With the Army-Navy, and Marines” piece that appeared in The Atlanta Constitution on June 21, 1944.

   


With the Army-Navy, and Marines, The Atlanta Constitution, June 21, 1944.

Below is Irvin’s World War II draft registration card and a photo of him in his uniform. 

 


Photo of Virgil Stacks from Jacquelyn Preston, Preston Family Tree, ancestry.com.

Johnnie hinted at regret in not having children yet, but he quickly set that aside in his June 22, 1944 letter to Lucile.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I received the watch yesterday and I think it is swell. I am really proud of it. Thanks a lot. Also received two letters from you that was mailed in May, around the tenth and fifteenth. I have already received three from you that you wrote this month. Sorry to hear that you are not working much here lately because I know how it gets you just sitting around the house. I know when you are working you can have something on your mind and you won’t worry too much about me. You get what I mean? Oh yeah, in one of the letters I received from you yesterday you were telling me about Mary and Johnnie Puckett having a baby. I guess the other one is a good size now, isn’t it? They are doing alright, aren’t they? I guess or at least I know that’s where we made our big mistakes, don’t you think so? Well, I will drop that for the present. How is Doc and Mom getting along? Fine, I hope. Say I wish you would get Ma a picture of Mickey and his girl and Gearl and his girl taken all in one picture and send it to me. Do you think you could do it? Say, how is Grandma? Really hope she is lots better. What about little Carol? Is she still sick? Hope not. Well honey, I guess I will have to close for this time. So, keep your chin up and tell all the folks hello for me. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Elvie and Earl, aka Mickey

Johnnie could not understand why it took so long to deliver the mail and he was worried that Lucile may have changed since he last saw her. He mused about both in his June 24, 1944 letter to Lucile. And then he shared a corny joke with her!

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK and hope that this finds you the same. I received a letter from you yesterday and also one from Dot. You asked me about me getting your mail. If you write me every night it seems like I shall receive one just about every day from you. But as it is, I receive one about every three days. The mail is messed up somewhere. I can’t understand it. Maybe it will be better later on. I hope so. Yes, it has been a good while since we seen each other. I don’t think it will be much longer though. I just pray you are the same way as when I left you. I have a lot of things I want to get straight with you when I do get back. I have lost Irvin’s address. Can you get it for me again? Say did he ever get married? O yes, here a little joke I heard. There was an old woman who lived in a shoe. She had so many children she didn’t know what to do. There was another woman who lived in a shoe. She didn’t have any children, she knew what to do, Ha Ha. You get it? I didn’t. Well honey, I will have to close for this time. So, tell all the folks hello for me. I miss you a lot Baby. And I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment