Thursday, January 4, 2024

June 25, 26, July 1 and 3, 1944

Lucile sent Johnnie a copy of the June 9 newspaper clipping that contained his photo. He joked about how young he looked in his June 25, 1944 V-mail.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I received two letters from you yesterday. In one was the picture of me that you sent from the papers. I don’t think the picture looked much like me now. I look like a kid about seventeen years old in that picture. Of course, then I felt like a kid about that age, Ha Ha. None of the fellows hardly believe it’s me. Some say it looked like my brother, if I had a brother, Ha Ha. Also, I received a letter from your Mother. I am going to try and answer it as soon as I finish this. Well honey, I will close so keep writing. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Johnnie


With the Army, Navy, and Marines, “The Atlanta Constitution,” Atlanta, Georgia, June 9, 1944

Lucile’s sister Nell had apparently been encouraging them to have children. Johnnie asked Lucile to pass on a message to Nell in his June 26, 1944 V-mail.

Hello Darling,

I received a letter from you that was mailed the fifteenth of this month. Not bad do you think? Enclosed was a few lines that Grandma wrote. Sure was glad to hear from her also and to know she is much better. Honey, I have sent you forty dollars. Let me know when you receive it. I am glad to hear that you are going back to work. It’s so much better for you. Tell Nellie we’ll do our darndest about the family situation. She can count on that, Ha Ha. Well, as there isn’t much more space to write, I will close. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Johnnie 


Lucille

During the month of June, “the Regiment advanced from the Lariano sector to a point 46 road miles north of Rome and captured a total of 473 prisoners of war including 13 officers.” They awarded 18 Silver Stars, 58 Bronze Stars, 74 Purple Hearts, and 1614 Combat Infantryman Badges. Seven officers and 39 enlisted men were killed in action; 3 officers and 109 enlisted men wounded in action; and 63 enlisted men and 2 officers were missing in action.

From July 1–12, 1944, the Regiment was positioned in an open temporary camp “on the sea near Lido d’Roma” spending their time training for future combat, rehabilitation, and making administrative moves. Training was extensive concentrating on “firing of all weapons, small unit combat exercises, battalion attack of permanent land fortifications, combined operations with tanks and tank destroyers, and battalion river crossing problems.” The recreation put in place in June was still made available for the troops.

Johnnie revealed that July was his favorite month in his July 1, 1944 V-mail to Lucile. He also shared who wrote him letters and who did not.

My Dearest Darling,

Received two letters from you yesterday. One of them had the picture of Earl, Gearl, and Irvin in it. Surely is a good picture of all three of them. If Irvin is in Italy here like you say, I might run into him some of the days. I hope so. Have you been up to see my old man lately? How is he? I haven’t heard from him in a long time, and Louise, and Evelyn have quit writing all together. You know I doubt if I would get any mail at all if you, Dot, and your Mother wasn’t writing to me. Well, here it is the first of the month of July and it’s always been the choice of all the months for me. I doubt if I ever told you that, have I? You haven’t ever told me what month out of the year you like. Which one is it? Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 


Johnnie’s brothers-in-law, Earl and Gearl Stacks

Johnnie was dreaming of their future home and comfort foods when he wrote Lucile on July 3, 1944. He put in an order for a few special treats. And his father’s ears must have been burning. Johnnie was happy to report that he had heard from him. 

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope that this letter finds you in the best of health and getting along alright back there at home. I received a letter from Dad yesterday. They seem to be getting along OK. He sent me a picture of me that was in the papers also. He seems to be pretty proud of it. He said he didn’t think he had a son that good looking, Ha Ha. I started this letter a day ago, but later in the afternoon. O yeah what gets me on all this writing paper you sent me, especially the air mail envelope, you didn’t send me one airmail stamp and I haven’t any so you see what you sent won’t do me any good. There’s no place to buy any, so you see how things stand? I still dream and think of the swell place we are going to have when all this is over with. All this I am going through now seems just like a nightmare. If it is, I wish I could break away from it. I really think all this will end this year. I haven’t received the watch you sent me yet. I hope it gets to me OK. Say, you can send me some cookies, small chocolate cakes, and candy bars. Can you get these for me? Sure wish I had some chicken legs. Remember how I used to eat them all when we went to your Mother’s house to eat, Ha Ha. Say, does Doc still have chicken fry’s and fish fry’s up at the lumber yard? I really miss them. Well, I will close for this time, so keep writing and smiling. Tell all hello for me, and to write. I miss you a lot Darling. And I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment