Thursday, January 18, 2024

July 16, 19, 20, 21, and 22, 1944

Johnnie was anything but vain talking about pictures of himself in his July 16, 1944 letter to Lucile.

My Dearest Darling, 

Received a letter from you yesterday and was glad to hear that you are feeling much better and also glad to hear that my letters are coming to you pretty regular. Lately I have been hearing from you about every four days. Before you get back to work, I wish you would rest up some after staying up two or three nights with Grandma. I know you are pretty tired out and you know how I am always getting on you about your health. You have just got to take care of yourself. It might not hurt you so bad now, but it will as you grow older. I hope you get what I mean. O’yeah, this picture you sent me doesn’t look like me at all now. But that was taken in my prime, and you can’t expect much now, Ha Ha. I am glad to hear that your bank account is still growing, you never can tell when you will need it. Have you received any of the money I sent? What about the pictures? What do you think of them? Don’t tell me, I know, Ha Ha. I know they are bad, but what can you expect from over here? I was darned lucky to get to send you that. So, bear with me on those pictures, will you? I received a letter from Dot yesterday also. She is still as good as she ever was on jokes and laughs. Same old Dot, isn’t she? By the way, who is Margaret? I don’t believe I ever met her? If so, I don’t remember. I am glad to hear I still got a hold on you, at least we understand each other. Well honey, I will have to close for this time. So, keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Lucile

On July 19, 1944, the regiment was on the move again, putting them in an area near Rosignano where they continued to train. “Part of an Italian mule group was attached to the Regiment for training and much time was spent in learning how to use pack mules.”


An Army mule using a “G.I.” helmet to grab a bite before leaving Sicily for Italy on September 20, 1943.
1st Infantry Division, photographer: Bonnard. Photo source: U.S. National Archives.
Digitized by Signal Corps Archive. Public domain.

Lucile learned that she had been taken on a watch she bought for Johnnie in his July 20, 1944 V-mail to her.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well, and hope this finds you the same. I haven’t been hearing from you lately, like I shall, what’s wrong? How is Grandma? What about the rest of the family? Has Doc ever come back from his fishing trip? How did he make out? Or did he say? O’yeah, I hate to tell you, but someone really put you in the dark on this watch you bought me. There’s a guy here in my outfit that really knows about watches and he said, in practice, you could get watches like this for six or seven dollars. Boy, it really made me feel bad to know that after telling everybody what you paid for it. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

Johnnie had learned Lucile’s maternal grandmother passed away on July 7, 1944. His July 21, 1944 letter to Lucile shows he must have held her in high regard.

July 21, 1944

My Dearest Darling

I received two letters from you today. Also, one from your Mother. Darling, I am really sorry to hear about Grandma. She sure was a Grand Old Lady and we all are going to miss her a lot. I know I will because I used to kid her and have a lot of fun out of her. But being as she was, it was for the best, don’t you think? I guess it really hurts Mom Stacks a lot, being as she has a lot of worry already and I know that’s going to make things worse. I am going to write your Mother tomorrow. I was going to today but as it is getting dark and there won’t be any light. By the time I finish this to you it will be too late. I think the picture of your Daddy and Woodrow are just like them, only it seems Doc has aged a lot since the last time I saw him. I also received the package you sent. The cracker was alright, but the candy bars were not so hot. They had worms in them. I believe if you will put more cellophane papers around them, they will stay fresher. Don’t you think? Well I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Leola Lemon Stacks and her mother
Amanda Carnahan Lemon Stacks Masters (years earlier)


Funeral notice for Lucile’s mother, The Atlanta Constitution, July 9, 1944

Now that word had gotten to Johnnie about the passing of Grandma (Lemon) Masters. He wrote a V-mail to Lucile’s parents on July 22, 1944 and shared kind words about her.

Dear Doc and Mom,

Just a few lines to let you know that when Grandma passed away, what a kind and gentle woman that has left us all and how well everybody that knows her well loves her. And as for myself, I will never forget how I used to kid her and have so much fun out of her. In her passing away, she left a lot of sorrowful and broken hearts. Mom, I sent Grandma a picture of me I had made here lately. I want you to take it and keep it, or if you want to you can give it to Aunt Agnes. Whatever you think is best suits me. Tell Doc I hope he enjoys his fishing trip and I hope the next one he goes on, I can be with him.

Lots lots love, Johnnie


Stacks family photo, left to right: Unknown, Betty Stacks,
Nancy “Amanda” Carnahan Lemon Masters (Granny Masters),
Mary Stacks, Leola Lemon Stacks, and Nell Stacks.
Baby is probably Melvin. Man on horse unknown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment