Thursday, January 11, 2024

July 5, 10, and 15, 1944

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s parents a letter on July 5, 1944 sharing that he had been to Rome.

Hello Folks,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope that this finds you both in the best of health and the kids the same. I visited Rome and had some pictures made. I am sending one to you. How are things going at the lumber yard? Have you moved to your new location yet? Luke wrote and said that Irvin was over here. Sure would like to run into him. Are you letting Melvin go to school next year? He is about six years old now, isn’t he? Have you heard from Cecil lately? I bet he’s homesick. Maybe it won’t be so long now till we will all be coming back home. Well, I will have to close for this time so write and let me know whenever you receive this. And lots love.

Johnnie


Melvin Stacks

When Johnnie wrote Lucile on July 10, 1944, he shared how he had received a war medal, although he could not give her the full details. The medal would have been one of the 1614 Combat Infantryman Badges awarded in June for the campaign to liberate Rome.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope this finds you the same. Are you working regular now? You haven’t changed jobs yet, have you? I hope you haven’t. The job you have is so near to home and at least I know who our boss is, Ha Ha. I received the pictures you sent yesterday of you and Melvin and Mickey. They sure are good. You look to me like you’ve changed a lot. You haven’t grown any more, have you? You really look tall and the way I am drawing up over here, I will have to get on a step ladder to even kiss you when I get back, Ha Ha. Little Melvin looks good. He is about six years old now, isn’t he? Have you received the picture I sent? Also, I sent you forty dollars last month and twenty-five this month. Let me know when you receive it. How is Grandma? Is she any better? I hope so. I hope she likes the picture I sent her. I guess you and everybody else want to know what kind of medal that is on my shirt. It is a combat medal and campaign ribbon. On the ribbon is a little gold star that means one major battle. I am sure you will want to know what they are for, so that’s why I am telling you now, where I won’t have to later on. How is Nell? Ok, I hope. I dropped her a card the other day. I guess you know Evelyn has another baby. Is it a girl too? I know now if we ever have one, it will be a boy, Ha Ha. Do you think we will make it? We shall, we have come over a lot of other things together, haven’t we? How is Doc and Mom Stacks? Tell them hello for me and tell them I still look for a letter from them once in a while. So, Mickey is going to get him a converiable (sic) job. Boy I bet he will think he a big shot riding around in that, Ha Ha. Well Honey, I will have to close for this time, so keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Combat Infantryman Badge

On 13 July the Regiment moved to another open temporary camp in the mountains near Reccastrada and spent the next few days in physical conditioning and mountain warfare training. 

Serious thoughts were coursing through Johnnie’s mind when he wrote Lucile on July 15, 1944—curiosity about the death of a possible family member, the illness of another, and perhaps regrets.

My Dearest Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK. Hoping this finds you the same. I received the stamps you sent. Thanks a lot. Have you received the pictures I sent you? I know they don’t look so hot but I believe if you had them painted up, they would look much better, Ha Ha. I don’t blame you for being sore about my folks not coming down and seeing you once in a while. I know how we used to chase around to see them. Let them chase you awhile now. You have the right idea. I received the Journal the other day. I don’t know whether you sent it or Dad. I think I wrote you both about sending it once in a while. Anyway, I was looking through the paper and I ran across this funeral notice of George Carling Marston. I think it is Dad’s brother’s boy. I want you to find out for me for sure. How is Grandma? I think about her a lot. I just pray that if she has to go that the Lord takes her without much pain. You know we all are going to miss her. She was such a wonderful old lady. I know Grandma and I always got along fine together. I hope the picture I sent her gets there before she goes. I just wonder if any kind of drugs or anything there is to cure cancer. I know they have been trying to find something to cure it, but I doubt if they will ever cure that kind of disease. How is your Mother taking it? I know she can’t take much more. I surely wish I was there to help out all I could. How did Doc make out on his trip? I hope he didn’t have any trouble. Did he? O’yeah, did you ever go fishing with Mickey and the others? I hope not. I have always wanted that privilege. You remember when you used to ask me to take you fishing and I always put it off? Usually when you asked me, I always had other plans for us. Well anyway, I hope you enjoyed yourself. It kind of makes you feel good when you first catch one and it’s always been a great sport with me anyway. Well, I will have to close for now so keep writing and smiling. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Published in The Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia, June 1, 1944 

Johnnie wrote a short V-mail to Lucile on July 15, 1944, as always expressing concerns for her and others in the family.

My Dearest Darling,

Received a letter from you yesterday and was glad to hear that you are well and OK. As for myself, I am OK. I was hoping the picture I sent to Grandma got to her before she got worse. But I guess it got there too late, being as she doesn’t know who you are now. I am sorry to hear you didn’t get to make the fishing trip. Maybe you will get a chance to go again later on. O’yeah, have you received the money I sent you yet? I am sure since you haven’t been working lately that you can use it. How is Mom Stacks and the kids? Give them my love. I will close for this time. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie wrote Lucile’s mother a V-mail on July 15, 1944, even though he had already written Lucile and and sent his love to her and the kids. 

Dearest Mom,

I received words about Grandma being bad off sick as she is and not expecting to pull through. It just doesn’t seem right her leaving us this way. But I guess the Lord knows best. I know just how it’s going with you and I just wish there was something I could do for you. But as it is now, I can’t. All I can do is tell you how much I adored her. Well I will close for this time. So, write and try to keep your chin up. I hope you like the picture I sent.

Lots lots love, Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment