Thursday, February 8, 2024

August 22, 24, 25, and 28, 1944

Johnnie seemed to have a good relationship with his stepmother, telling Lucile a story about her and one of his photos in his August 22, 1944 letter.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK, and hope that this finds you the same. Well, here it is another month about gone. You know it won’t be long till old winter will be here. Boy, I am going to hate that being over here. Gee honey, I would give anything to see you. I will never forget how you looked the night I left you to come over here. I wanted you so much to myself that night, but I knew you didn’t feel so well, and we couldn’t get away from the family if we wanted to. I grant you it won’t be like that when I return. Because we will take off somewhere, so that we can be alone, OK with you? You ask me if I was hearing from Dad and his wife? Yes, quite often, at least she writes me a lot. I think she is falling in love with me, Ha Ha. You know those pictures I sent you of me I had made over here? Well as you know I sent them a picture of me also. You know she wrote me back, saying she didn’t know I was so good looking, Ha Ha. Well, knowing just what I look like, I told her she had better get her another pairs of glasses, Ha Ha. O’yeah, her son Willie and his wife was over to see them the other day she said, and Willie’s wife asked her where have I been keeping myself. Before I went overseas, she told her that I was married also, and that no woman could take your place with me, and believe me she not kidding either or do you know that? Well, I will close for now so keep writing, and tell all the folks hello for me. I miss you a lot honey and I love you a million. 

Always Johnnie 


Johnnie’s stepmother, Lola (Miller) Marston

Johnnie was still in the hospital when he wrote Lucile on August 24, 1944. He also talked about one family member already in the military and another that may have to go soon. The 1st Battalion was relieved that night and moved “to an intermediate assembly area near Strada.” Since Johnnie was still in the hospital, he may not have moved with his battalion.

Hello Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK. I am still in the hospital though. Say, did you ever receive the rest of the money I sent you? Be sure and let me know and I will see what I can do about it if you haven’t. Say, does Mickey have to go to the Army next month? He won’t be eighteen then, will he? I have never run into Irvin yet. Send me his address again. I lost the other one. Say, what did the doctor ever say about you? My worries are more about you than they are anything else or do you know that? Say, I heard a pretty song yesterday on the radio and it really made me think about you if you can get the recording of it. The name of it is “They Ask About You.” Play it and see what you think about it. Will close. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million. 

Always Johnnie

Earl (Mickey) had not enlisted yet but would do so one day after his 18th birthday, September 11, 1944.


Earl (Mickey) Stacks

Click here to hear the song “When They Ask About You” (by Jimmy Dorsey and his orchestra with vocals by Kitty Kallen) mentioned in the above letter.

Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile’s parents on August 25, 1944. He shared that he had met someone in the hospital there that had bought lumber from Sam’s business. Small world.

Hello Folks,

Just a few lines to let you know I am OK. But still have a bruised leg. But it is coming along alright now. I haven’t heard from any of you in a good while, but I don’t expect to till I get back to my outfit. Well, the war seems to be going in our favor. Maybe it won’t be so long now. I want to see all of you so bad. Doc, I met a fellow here in the hospital. He said his Dad used to buy a lot of lumber off of you. He lives in East Point. He left this morning though. I forgot his name, it’s pretty hard to say also. See your place of business is known well, even over here, Ha Ha.

Love, Johnnie


On August 26, the 2nd and 3rd Battalions “came under control of the 1st American Armored Division for operations only.” Late afternoon, a platoon raided a group of buildings near the river bank with full support from artillery, cannon, mortar, and automatic weapons fire in an attempt “to concentrate enemy attention on this sector.” The enemy reaction was not as violent as expected but the Regiment’s mission was accomplished. Casualties for the enemy was four killed, one captured, and an unestimated number of injuries. The 2nd Battalion was relieved the night of August 26 and the 3rd Battalion on the night of August 27.

Johnnie’s brother-in-law, Robert Astin, Nell’s husband, was featured in one of The Atlanta Constitution’s “With the Army-Navy and Marines” articles on August 27, 1944. Robert served in the U.S. Navy from May 24, 1943 to November 26, 1945.


Robert Astin


                                Overseas—…


With the Army-Navy and Marines, The Atlanta Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia, August 27, 1944 

Johnnie described what he told an old friend of how he convinced Lucile to date and then marry him in his August 28, 1944 letter. 

My Dear Darling,
 
Just a few lines to let you know I am coming along OK and will leave the hospital tomorrow to go back to my outfit. I hope with all my heart that this finds you well and getting along OK there at home. One thing about going back, I expect some letters from you and the rest of the folks I have never received. That’s one thing a boy looks forward to over here, his hearing from his sweetheart, or wife, or his folks. You are all three to me and God knows I mean it. You know before I came to the hospital or even thought of coming, I heard other guys that was hurt or pretty sick that have been and come back brag how well they treat you and look out for you while you are here. Well I find out to the truth and you can’t get dismissed till they are sure you are well and OK. Well that’s enough for the hospital. What about the money I sent you? Have you received all of it yet? I guess you have by now. Say I met a fellow here in the hospital that used to live on Washington Road. I forgot his last name, but his first name is Edward. He went to the school you went to. But he just went there till on up to the fourth grade then his family moved on to Hapeville. That is were he is living now. He says he remembers you and Dot and Nell’s names but he doubts if he would know any of you now. I showed him a picture of you and of course he wanted to know what you ever seen in me. I told him I met you in the dark and that the only time I would date you was at night so that you couldn’t see what I really looked like. And that I kept it like that till I married you. He said he believed it, Ha Ha. He doesn’t know good looks when he sees it, does he. Or does he? Well, I better quit talking about myself before you get to thinking what you really even see in me. Will close for now, regardless of what you think, I love you. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

1 comment:

  1. One thing for sure he loved your mother! They were both beautiful to me!! Love reading the letters!!

    ReplyDelete