Thursday, February 22, 2024

September 5, 7, 8, and 10, 1944

Lucile confided in Johnnie, expressing her loneliness. To his understanding, he acknowledged experiencing similar emotions in a letter he wrote on September 5, 1944.

My Dear Darling,

Received a letter from you today and was glad to hear that you are well and OK. As for myself, I am alright now. I am sorry to hear that you are so lonesome, and I know just how you feel on those rainey days. Maybe it won’t be so long now for me to be back with you. Then we can make up all the days we aren’t together, OK? You say it is getting pretty cold back there at home already? Gee, this month shouldn’t be so bad back there. I guess it is because you had such a hot summer. No, it isn’t so long till another Christmas will be around and another new year also. Let’s hope the whole world is at peace once more. I really hope so. You say little George got married? I don’t believe it. Do you know the girl he married or rather do we both know her? You know Mickey could be married to his girl also and maybe doesn’t want his Mother and the rest of you to know it. What do you think of that? That would be something, Ha Ha. You know he’s just crazy enough to try a thing like that, don’t you think so? O’yeah, I wrote you and told you I was sending you some more money. I hope it gets to you. I am still off of the lines. I hope the war will be over before we go back up. You know Irvin was coming back to see me Sunday, but he has never shown up. I’m going to keep in touch with him. Boy, you don’t know how good it made me feel to meet up with him and talk of the folks back home, and a lot of other things. Boy, will he be surprised when he hears that George is married, Ha Ha. O say, you said in this letter that you have forgotten how to act with a husband. Well don’t let that worry you. I can teach you all over again. Just like I taught you when we first got married, Ha Ha. Remember you didn’t know anything from a to z, Ha Ha. But you learned the hard way, didn’t you? O say, have you ever sent the bracelet yet? If so, it sure is taking its time about getting to me. Gosh, I hope it doesn’t take it as long as it took the ring. Say, you remember the ring you found in Texas? Well, I still have it and it is still on my little finger where you put it. I wouldn’t get rid of it for nothing. It isn’t much good but just the same, I believe it has brought me luck so far and I have never taken it off since the time you put it on. O’yeah, tell your Mother I said for her to take her time about writing me because I know how busy she is. As long as I know she is writing, I know it won’t be so long till I hear from her. Tell Dot and Nell I will answer their letter as soon as I get time to. How is Doc? Tell him I might be home any day now if this war keeps going in our favor. And we can go fishing and if you are good, I might even let you go, Ha Ha. Well Darling, I will close for now. I believe this is the longest letter I have ever wrote you since I’ve been overseas and I believe it’s the longest letter you have ever wrote me also. I could still write a lot more but I guess you kindly got tired of it. I miss you a lot Baby and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

P.S. Here is some Italian money. Don’t try to spend it because it won’t work, Ha Ha.


Elvie, Earl’s (Mickey) wife

Johnnie and Lucile anticipated Christmas even before the leaves began to change in early fall. In his letter dated September 7, 1944, Johnnie thoughtfully suggested a gift for Lucile. Meanwhile, Lucile had another significant event on the horizon: she was scheduled to undergo a tonsillectomy.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you today and was very sorry to hear that your tonsils were giving you so much trouble. I think it is swell that you are finally going to have them took out. At least me being in the Army did help you out some. I am sure the doctor’s at Fort Mac will do a good job for you. I guess by the time you get this they will be out and you will be well from it. I hope so. You asked me what I would like for Christmas. Nothing that I know of, except you can send me some wool socks right away if you can get them. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Lucile

On September 8, 1944, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile, expressing his gratitude for the gum she had sent him. Interestingly, upon receiving the package, he initially mistook it for something else.

My Dear Darling,

I received the gum you sent me tonight at mail call, but I haven’t heard from you in three days now. Boy, this mail sure runs crazy. But I guess it is the best they can do. Boy, this package of gum sure fooled me. I thought it was my bracelet. Not that I didn’t want the gum but the last letter I got from you, you said that the bracelet shall arrive by now and when I got the package, that was what I thought it was. I saved the letters I got from you through August just to see how many you write a month. I have just twelve and the last two I received was mailed the first and second of September. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

On September 9, 1944, the Regiment celebrated Salerno Day, marking the intense combat and resilience displayed by the Fifth Army led by General Mark Clark, during the Salerno landings on September 9, 1943. On that fateful day, Clark expected minimal resistance, assuming only a few coastal defense units had not received the memo about Italy’s surrender. To his surprise, his troops encountered fierce fire from the moment they hit the beach. Instead of Italians, they faced the battle-hardened 16th Panzer Division, a German unit dug into strongpoints along the Salerno beach.

During a Regimental formation at the celebration, a technical sergeant in Company L received the Distinguished Service Cross. Additionally, Company C was honored with a Presidential Citation for their exceptional performance during the critical action of taking and holding Hill 66 near Tremensuoli—a pivotal moment at the start of the Gustav Line breakthrough.

The 85th Division now faced an Army attack order: to penetrate the Gothic Line and fan out into the Po Valley across a three-division front. Johnnie’s regiment, the 337th, initially held a position in division reserve, with orders to follow the advance of the 338th Infantry by bounds.

In his letter to Lucile on September 10, 1944, Johnnie attempted to shed light on America’s involvement in the significant conflict. Alongside this, he engaged in a heartfelt conversation about family matters.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK. I surely hope with all my heart that this finds you the same. I received the bracelet yesterday and it really is a dandy. It has everything that I wanted on it. There isn’t but one thing wrong. They didn’t spell your name right. They left out one of the L’s, am I not right? The last letter I received from you, you were telling me about Dot and Drexter moving into their house. Say, Dot and Drex must plan on having a big family, moving in a house that large, Ha Ha. Well, all I can say about it is more power to them, Ha Ha. Say, how did you make out on having your tonsils pulled out. I hope you didn’t go through much pain. I know darn well if you did you wouldn’t let me know about it. Say, how are you making out on saving your money? Have you got five hundred saved up yet? I don’t know how many times I have told you, but I don’t want you to save any of the money I send you. I want you to use it on yourself, personal. I hope you understand that. Not that I want to claim any of what you have saved either. All that you have put away is yours and yours alone. O’yeah Lou, you said something about Doc building another house out on Welcome Road. I guess that’s the way you spell it. I mean the road, Ha Ha. Well, anyway you said you like this house better than the one down below Woodrow and Frances’ house. Well honey, when I get back, which I hope won’t be long, I want to do everything that is in my power to make you happy. So, if you like this place better than the other one, well that suits me. So, send me a picture of what it looks like. I am sure if you like it, I know darn well I will. Have you seen my old man lately? I hear from them about twice a month. Say, that sister of yours, Dot, she is a gag, Ha Ha. You know Dot always says what she is thinking. She told me she wasn’t going to have no more kids till I get home. So, you and her both can start a big family together, Ha Ha. She also wanted to know if it would be alright to write me some good jokes she heard. I guess she thinks they sensor the mail I get from home. I wish she would. I haven’t heard a good joke in such a long time, it’s a pity, Ha Ha. Well, I guess that’s enough of me trying to be funny. Lou honey, remember when you were in Trenton, N.J. while I was at Fort Dix and we were talking a lot about guys going overseas and what they were going over for, and I try to tell you in my on words the reason. Well, it is still the same and regardless of what the outcome of it all may be, it all adds up to one thing. That’s for you and the rest of the people of the good old U.S.A. to live the way they want to and to have free speeches and not be afraid of what the outcome may be. I would hate for our own country to be in the condition of the ones I have seen so far, and people suffering like the ones over here are. Well, that’s enough of that and I guess you are tired of reading what a lot of people think isn’t true. And never will be. That’s just what little they know about how hard life can be. Will close. Tell all the family I said hello and for you, I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


A look back at Fort Dix

Set amidst the rugged Apennine Mountains in North Central Italy, the battle for the Gothic Line commenced on September 12, 1944. The regiment advanced from Florence, converging on an assembly area near Bivigliano, where they awaited the opportune moment to strike. Subsequently, they shifted to yet another assembly point—this time north of the Sieve River, close to Borgo San Lorenzo—to strategize their defense against anticipated counterattacks. 


Gothic Line, The History Department of the United States Military Academy,
public domain, via Wikimedia Commons 

No comments:

Post a Comment