Thursday, April 4, 2024

November 16 and 19, 1944

The rugged foothills of the northern Apennines posed significant challenges for mountain warfare. Supply and medical units faced difficulties due to poor trails, washed-out bridges, and steep slopes. Supplies were delivered to the front line by mule train, which suffered casualties from enemy fire and treacherous terrain. Evacuating casualties was especially tough during heavy rain. At one point, a hospital was set up in a church to care for litter cases until they could be carried to an ambulance point over half a mile away.


Pack mule train of 26th Indian Mule Company with British 13th Corps,
moving through the town of Marradi. This unit hauls ammunition to forward areas,
October 3, 1944. Photographer: Yaskell, 3131 Signal Service Co.
Photo Source: U.S. National Archives. Digitized by Signal Corps Archive.
Public domain.

Throughout the month, the critical importance of swiftly establishing defensive fires upon capturing an objective became abundantly clear. Despite relentless German counter-attacks—ranging from small squads to entire companies—our accurate artillery, mortar, and machine gun fire consistently thwarted their advances. The enemy never breached our front line significantly, and once an objective fell under our regiment’s control, it remained secure.

Our regiment faced formidable challenges: treacherous terrain and a cunning adversary. Yet, undeterred, we pressed forward, covering nine air-line miles in just 25 days—a pivotal role in spearheading the Fifth Army’s attack. The enemy effectively used the protection provided by Italian farmhouses and buildings, often fortified with wire, mines, and all-round defense. Strongpoints had to be outflanked before the stubborn German forces surrendered or were captured. While the gains made during the month were not spectacular, they were significant.

During the month of October, 704 prisoners were captured. Three men received battlefield commissions. One Distinguished Service Cross Medal, 2 Legion of Merits, 10 Silver Stars (3 posthumously), 4 Oak Leaf Cluster to Bronze Star Medals (1 posthumously), 72 Bronze Stars (2 posthumously, 1 missing in action), 283 Purple Hearts, 63 Oak Leaf Cluster to Purple Hearts, and 108 Combat Infantryman Badges were awarded. Six officers and 160 enlisted men were killed in action, 35 officers and 735 enlisted men were wounded in action, and 5 officers and 135 enlisted men were missing in action. The Regiment now consisted of 119 officers, 5 warrant officers, and 2639 enlisted men. Two hundred replacements were received during the month.

Click here to read the Operations Report by the 337th Infantry Regiment for November/December 1944.

At the beginning of the November, the 2nd Battalion, along with Company K, held Castellare (Hill 351), while the 3rd Battalion (excluding Company K) occupied positions on the Cuccoli Ridge. The 1st Battalion remained in reserve, camped near Migliarina. At 2 AM on November 2, the 1st Battalion relieved the 2nd Battalion at Castellare, and the 2nd Battalion moved to the Migliarina tent area.

Throughout the month, the regiment actively defended its assigned sector. Aggressive and coordinated patrolling was conducted to maintain contact with the enemy, prevent infiltration into our lines, and accurately locate enemy weapons and positions. Reconnaissance patrols confirmed that the Germans held positions on Hill 431, Hill 444, il Paggio, and Mezzano. Notably, a Company C ambush patrol successfully engaged an enemy patrol, while a Company B combat patrol attempted to breach Hill 308 without success.

The enemy relentlessly targeted our front line and rear areas with artillery, mortars, nebelwerfers (a rocket launcher, also known as a “Screaming Mimi” and “Moaning Minnie”), and long-range machine guns. Our forces responded with both observed and harassing fire. We fortified our position with thousands of barbed wire, anti-tank, and anti-personnel mines, as well as trip flares. Telephone communication was established to connect all positions and adjacent units. 


Russland, Laden eines Nebelwerfers, which translates to “Russia, loading a Nebelwerfer,”
Bundesarchiv, Bild 101I-220-0634-12 / Scheffler / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 DE,
via Wikimedia Commons.
 

The night of November 8, the 2nd Battalion relieved the 3rd Battalion, which withdrew to Migliarina. Simultaneously, Company A set up an ambush south of Bursane, eliminating at least four German soldiers. The night of November 10, the 3rd Battalion moved to the division temporary camp near Gagliana. Beginning November 12, the regiment focused on intensive training and reconditioning, with a priority on preparing replacements.

On November 16, 1944, Johnnie wrote a heartfelt letter to Lucile, pouring out his innermost thoughts. He touched on a range of topics, from health and writing supplies to Christmas gifts, family matters, feelings of jealousy, and the solace found in prayer and unwavering faith.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you well in health and making out OK back there at home. I have received quite a bit of mail from you in the last few days and you don’t know just how good it makes me feel to hear from you like that. My latest letter from you on November second just took twelve days to get here. Not bad. Do you think? I received the envelope and tablets with most of the envelopes addressed to you. You are really on the ball, Ha, Ha. You should have sent me some stamps with all of this writing paper and envelopes. I hope I can get up a stamp to mail this. If not, it your own fault, Ha, Ha. I have three months pay coming sometime soon. I am sending it all home for you for Christmas presents. I guess that is the best I can do, being there’s nothing else for me to send. You wanted to know whether I was still in Italy. Yes, I am still here. O yes, tell Verg and Edna that Irvin is OK, he wasn’t hurt bad. A buddy of mine met him in the hospital, that’s why I know. I guess he is back with his outfit by now. I received a nice fruit cake from Dad and his wife. It was really good. I am still waiting for my packages from you and Mom Stacks, they shall be here by now. I received a nice letter from your Sis Dot. Also, one from little Nell. They both write that they are making out OK. They are really swell. And I would do anything for them both. I have a bracelet I bought and it has on it every town and country I have been in, at least most of them anyway, and if I can I am going to try and send it to you. It isn’t so good to wear, because it made of cheap stuff and it will turn color on your arm. I guess by the time you get this Mickey will be done. Tell Doc and Mom Stacks not to worry too much about him, for the Lord will take care of him for them. I have found that out since I been overseas. And believe me honey, you have a different husband, and a guy that knows what the Lord can do when you live the way he wants and believe in him and pray. I pray every night to the Lord to return me to you and to watch over you for me while I am away. Lou, you said in this last letter that you write what you think. That’s what I want you to do. Its more like you were right beside me talking to me. O yes, about Louise sending me a fruit cake, I didn’t ask her to. She wrote me and said she was sending me one. I wish I could explain to you why I don’t think it is a good idea for you to go down to see Louise and them. I guess it is just the idea of you traveling alone that far and it maybe I am just jealous of some guys might get smart with you traveling alone. I don’t guess you see it my way and I guess I don’t blame you, but if you are going, I wish you would get somebody to travel with you. I will close for now. I miss you a lot Darling and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s dad John and his wife Lola

Johnnie sent a photo to Lucile of his company commander, Lt. General Mark Clark, awarding the Distinguished Service Cross to Captain James Doyle, “the second highest military award that can be given to a member of the United States Army (and previously the United States Air Force), for extreme gallantry and risk of life in actual combat with an armed enemy force.” The front of the photo was marked “To: Captain James M. Doyle, 337th Infantry Regiment, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR OUTSTANDING SERVICE, MARK W. CLARK, Lieutenant General, USA, Commanding Fifth Army, Italy, November 16, 1944.” On the back of the photo, Johnnie wrote “My Company Command awarded the D.S.C. He is in the States now. “A Great Guy.” Love, Johnnie”

While details about Johnnie’s release from the hospital and subsequent return to his regiment remain unknown, U.S. World War II Hospital Admission Card Files reveal that he was hospitalized in November 1944 due to non-venereal balanitis, an inflammation of the glans penis. Interestingly, during WWII, approximately 146,000 U.S. troops were hospitalized for various penile conditions, including balanitis, balanoposthitis, phimosis, and paraphimosis. An article titled ‘Penile Inflammatory Skin Disorders and the Preventive Role of Circumcision’ suggests that prophylactic circumcision before deployment could have saved both time and resources. 

In his November 19, 1944 letter to Lucile, Johnnie expressed that he had found peace with the Lord. He prayed to return home to Lucile and the rest of the family, eager to demonstrate the transformation he had undergone.

My Dearest Darling, 

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you the same. My outfit is back at the rest area now for a while and today is Sunday and I went to church services this morning. I should have went tonight but being that I received quite a few letters from you and a couple from Dad I thought I would try to catch up a little on my writing. One thing honey, I want you to know I tried to go to all the church services I can, and when I was back at the hospital when I got able, I went to all the services that they held. I have learned a lot about what a guy like me, for example, never thought of about life and the right way of living which I want to show you I can do and will do as long as I live. I pray to the Lord every night to return me to you and the rest of my family and yours where I can show them what a change of life I have found and didn’t have sense enough to understand or maybe I shall say too dumb to look at the right side of the Lord way of life. But I tell you now, I know and I have asked him to give me the chance to go his way. Things I have done I know wasn’t right I have asked him to forgive me. Some you know about and some I guess you don’t know about. But you will. I will tell you everything. Well honey, I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

1 comment: