Thursday, April 25, 2024

December 14, 15, and 17, 1944

Sending Christmas cards has been a holiday tradition since Henry Cole sent the first Christmas card in 1843 in England. However, for Johnnie, shopping for Christmas cards was not a priority. His days were filled with the rigors of military life: the biting cold, the possibility of snow underfoot, and the constant stress of training for the war. Despite these challenges, Johnnie’s heart remained with his loved ones back home. Determined to send season’s greetings, he wrote two V-mails, both dated December 14, 1944. One was addressed to the Stacks Brothers Lumber Company, the business owned by his father-in-law in College Park. Through those letters, Johnnie bridged the gap between war-torn battlefields and the comfort of home, sharing his love and well wishes across the miles. There was a small “Western Union” box in the bottom left corner where Johnnie wrote:

To: A Gang’s I Can’t forget
Johnnie

 

The second V-mail was addressed to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Stacks. This V-mail had the same image as the one addressed to the lumber company but in the Western Union box he wrote:

To: Mom and Pop Stacks
God Bless You Both
Love, Johnnie
 

Johnnie hoped that Lucile would treat herself to a gift, perhaps because he knew he would not be home for Christmas. His insistence was evident in the V-mail he sent on December 15, 1944.

Hello Honey,

A few lines to let you know I am thinking of you and wondering all the time if everything is going alright with you back there at home. As for myself, I am OK. How is Nell? Has she become a Mother yet? Tell her I am sweating to know whether it’s a boy or girl, Ha Ha. O yeah, be sure and let me know whenever you receive the money I sent you. Also, some other things I sent you and your Mother. I wrote Nell and told her to be sure you spend the money I sent you on yourself. What I mean by that is not to buy things for the house this time or save it. I know there are things you want for yourself personally. So, use it that way. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s sister-in-law, Nell

Johnnie, like countless other men across the United States, would not be home for Christmas that year. However, he sent his best wishes to the Stacks family when he wrote Lucile’s parents a V-mail on December 15, 1944.

Hello Folks,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope that this finds you both the same. How is the rest of the family? I hope no sickness. I bet all the kids are kindly happy being that Christmas is just a few more days. Being that the way things are, I hope all of you enjoy this one as much as you can. At least you can dream that all us boys are there. Maybe we all can make the next one. Well, I will close for this time. Be sure and write when you get time to. Tell Luke I said I still love her a million. Your son.

Lots love, Johnnie

Johnnie’s anticipation grew as Nell’s baby drew nearer. In his letters to Lucile, he inquired eagerly about both Nell and the little one. On December 17, 1944, he revealed that he had purchased a gift, eager to surprise her.

My Dear Darling,

I received a box of candy, two letters and the box with the socks and toilet article. These are the first letters I have received from you in almost two weeks. Gosh, I sure hope it isn’t that long before I hear from you again. I know darn well it isn’t your fault. Well, I guess that’s enough on that. In one of the letters you were telling me about Earl and Elvie getting married. You shouldn’t have told her what you did about the first night. You’ll have her scared to death, Ha Ha. That’s enough on that too. I guess you didn’t understand me on getting me some socks. I was hoping to get some thick socks. The kind I wanted was the kind you wear in boots. That’s what I am wearing anyway. What they call combat boots. I don’t guess you can get that kind, can you? These are OK but they are more like summer socks over here. I hope you understand me and don’t get mad at me. Tell Doc I wish I was on my way back home. It seems so long since I seen you and the rest of the family. I was at a rest camp in one of the towns here a few days ago and I bought a few things for you and Mom Stacks. Also, some things for Nell’s baby. Don’t say anything to her about it. I want it to be a surprise to her. Well honey, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Earl and Elvie (Orr) Stacks 

No comments:

Post a Comment