Thursday, May 2, 2024

December 20, 21, and 23, 1944

Lucile’s mother fell ill and, in his December 20, 1944 letter, Johnnie conveyed both concern and deep affection for her.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you yesterday and one of them was telling me about Mom Stacks being in the hospital. I have never received a letter telling me what she went to the hospital for or what she was in the hospital for. The way you said things in this letter she was pretty bad off. I pray she is much better by now. Tell her for me to hurry up and get well where she can write her boyfriend. I am really missing her letters. I guess Earl has gone by now. Who is his wife going to stay with? I hope you get the money I sent you before Christmas so you can have a pretty good Christmas even though I am not around for this one. I received a letter from Dot also. She is a great kidder. I think a lot of her. Well as far as that goes, I think a lot of all the family, you know that by now. And they shall. I surely hope you have heard from me by now. I try and I always will write you every chance I get. You can count on that. O say, tell Doc I am going to try and get him a souvenir over here and send to him. I hope you get the things I sent you and I hope you like them for what there are. Well Darling, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie

On the same day that Johnnie wrote the letter, The Atlanta Constitution reported grim news: a Georgian had lost their life in action, another was missing, and a staggering 65 had been wounded. Among the wounded was Johnnie, although his injury had occurred earlier, specifically on October 2, 1944.


The Atlanta Constitution, December 20, 1944

On December 20, 1944, the Paducah Sun-Democrat in Paducah, Kentucky reported that Johnnie’s best friend, Pfc. James Lamb, had “been awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge for participation in combat against the enemy with the Fifth Army in Italy.”


Pfc. James Lamb

On December 21, 1944, Lucile received a letter from Ellis Arnell, the Governor of Georgia. In it, he expressed both sympathy and appreciation for Johnnie’s dedicated service to the country. The letter read:

Mrs. Lucille S. Marston
Route # 1
College Park, Ga. 

Dear Mrs. Marston:

According to press dispatches your loved one has been wounded in the service of his country. I hasten to express to you my interest and sympathy. It is my wish that his wounds are not serious. The sacrifice made by your loved one will ever be enshrined in the greatness of our nation.

Sincerely yours,
Ellis Arnall, Governor  
 

Letter from Georgia Governor Ellis Arnall to Lucile
informing her that Johnnie had been wounded

Around the same time, Lucile received another letter, dated December 21, 1944, from the Atlanta Chapter of the American Red Cross. This letter conveyed their sympathy upon learning of Johnnie’s injuries. Remarkably, by the time all this correspondence was unfolding, Johnnie had already left the hospital and rejoined Company B. The letter read:

Mrs. John J. Marston Jr.
College Park, Georgia

Dear Mrs. Marston:

The Atlanta Chapter of the American Red Cross learns with regret through the casualty lists of the newspapers that your husband, Pfc. John J. Marston, Jr., has been reported wounded in action in the Mediterranean Area.

We join your many friends in extending sympathy to you and your family and hope that the War Department will soon be able to send you encouraging news regarding his condition.

During these months of anxiety, we feel sure that you are comforted by a feeling of pride in knowing that your husband has rendered a wonderful service to his country.

Sincerely,
OBY T. BREWER
Chairman, Atlanta Chapter, American Red Cross


Letter from the American Red Cross to Lucile
extending sympathy for his injuries

On December 23, 1944, the regiment, including the 328th Field Artillery Battalion, Company A of the 310th Medical Battalion, and a platoon from Company C of the 310th Engineer Battalion, moved to an assembly area north of Lucca. There, the Combat Team, now under the operational control of the 92nd Infantry Division, was designated as division reserve. Their specific tasks included preparing plans to repel enemy attacks in the coastal sector and the Serchio Valley. 

The impending Christmas and wedding anniversary weighed heavily on Johnnie as he grappled with the separation from Lucile. On December 23, 1944, he prayed for their reunion as he wrote Lucile.

My Dear Darling, 

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and alright and pray that this finds you the same. I have not heard from you in a good while now. I hope by now you are getting some of my letters. You shall be getting a few at least. Well, it is just two more days and Christmas will be around again and four more to our wedding anniversary. I can’t forget that one day that will always be remembered by me and I know you feel the same way. It was so wonderful it makes me feel so bad to even think the way things are so changed now. I just pray to God that he returns me to you because there is so much I want to make up to you, so many things. I hope Mom Stacks is much better. Give her my regards and I hope she is able to be up and around by now. How is Nell and the baby? It should have arrived by now. I bet it is a girl. I am sorry to hear about Irvin. I didn’t know that he had one of his ear drums busted. I haven’t heard from him in a good while now. I wrote him last. They had a church service tonight and I just got back from it. We will be going to a lot of them when I return home. You can count on that. I can see that life is more wonderful if anyone will only look on the right side. Well honey, I guess I have run short this time. So, tell all the folks I said hello and God bless all of you. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Lucile, Johnnie, and daughter Diane (after the war)

No comments:

Post a Comment