Thursday, May 23, 2024

January 23, 24, and 26, 1945

On January 23, 250 replacements were assigned to the regiment for training. They were assembled in a tent camp at Service Company. Under the leadership of Major Hugh R. Ballantine, a representative cadre initiated an intensive period of instruction for the new recruits.

During Johnnie’s time in Italy, Lucile’s younger sisters, Mary (aged 13) and Betty (approximately 9), both corresponded with him. On January 23, 1945, Johnnie replied to Mary’s letter using a V-mail.

Hello Mary,

Just a few lines to let you know I received your letter today and was glad to hear from you and to know you are well and OK. I received yours and Betty’s letters the same day. I can understand how you feel about wanting school to hurry up and end this year. I used to be the same way, Ha Ha. I am glad to hear you had a good Christmas. I am glad to hear that Nell and the baby are well. Give my regards to her for me, OK? You will have to excuse my writing. My hands are cold. Tell all the folks I said hello.

Lots lots love, Johnnie


Mary and Betty Stacks

Johnnie’s brief V-mail on January 24, 1945, covered a wide range of topics: babies, money, and socks.

My Dear Darling,

I received a letter from you today that was mailed the fourth of this month. Also, in it was a line from Dot. She really brags on that baby of hers, don’t she? I don’t blame her though. I guess you and me would be the same way if we had one, right? I am glad to hear the money I sent you helped you pay up on your bills and I hope you can get yourself something nice with the rest of it. I am glad you understand me about those socks I told you to get for me. From what I hear from the other guys in my outfit, you can’t get what I want anyway. Well honey, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


Lucile

Johnnie attempted to assist Lucile in unraveling the mystery of a letter she received from an individual with the last name Marston. Despite his efforts, Johnnie could not provide a solution. However, he recommended that Lucile seek answers from his father, as mentioned in his V-mail to her on January 26, 1945.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I received two letters from you today. Also, one from Louise and Aunt Sue. In one of your letters, you said you received a letter from a J. M. Marston of Lindale, Ga. I am not sure, but it could be my Uncle, Dad’s brother. His initials are J. M. I am sure. But I didn’t know he lived in Lindale. Go see Dad. He will tell you. I received a letter from Mom Stacks yesterday. I was really glad to hear from her and to know she’s much better. Aunt Sue and Grandma want to know why you don’t drop out and see them sometime. You better call them and let them know how busy you have been here lately, Ha Ha. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

On January 26, 1945, Johnnie sent a V-mail to Lucile’s mother, expressing his joy at learning that she was feeling better after a bout of illness.

Dear Mom Stacks,

I received your letter a day or so ago. But I didn’t have time to answer it till now. It really made me feel good to know you are able to get up a little bit and write to let me know how you feel personally. I am glad you are on your way back to being in good health once more. Yes, I couldn’t, or any other guy as far as that, Lucile is doing for me in taking care of things while I am away. I wouldn’t take a million for her and I wouldn’t give a dime for another like her, Ha Ha. Don’t tell her that, Ha Ha.

Lots lots love, Johnnie 


Leola Stacks

No comments:

Post a Comment