Thursday, May 30, 2024

January 27 and 31, 1945

On January 27, 1945, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to his father-in-law, Sam Stacks, at the Stacks Brothers Lumber Company in College Park. Little did he know that this would likely be his final correspondence with Sam.

Hello Doc,

Just a few lines to let you know I haven’t forgot you and all the gangs at the sawmill. I hope this finds you in the best of health and all the rest the same. Well what do you think of your Grand-Daughter? Lucile wrote me and said the baby looks just like Nell. She said it even had Nell’s little turned up nose, Ha Ha. Well what do you think of little old Earl getting married? Things have really changed since I was home last. Next thing I know little old Gearl and Mary will be getting married. Doc, it’s been a long time since I seen Lucile and you and all the family. But I think of you all often and the swell times we used to have. Will close for now. Tell all hello for me.

Johnnie

 


Earl Stacks and his wife Elvie

On the night of January 29, following a period of 10 days of rest and light training, the 1st Battalion assumed control of the Calderaro sector, with Company G attached. Meanwhile, the 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry, gathered in the reserve area at C del Chin and subsequently moved to the rear. Taking their position was the 3rd Battalion, 339th Infantry.


Pfc. Floyd Boyd of the 339th Infantry Regiment, 85th Infantry Division
rests and checks the news, while a buddy checks a Browning automatic rifle,
January 1945. Photographer: Peters, 3131st Signal Service Company,
public domain.

In Johnnie’s V-mail to Lucile on January 31, 1945, he revealed that he had received a letter from his sister Evelyn, the first in quite some time.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines, hoping this finds you well, and in the best of health. I haven’t heard from you in about a week now. But I guess as usual the mail is held up somewhere. I received a letter from Evelyn and Bill. They are getting along pretty good. She said the baby has started cutting his teeth and it is crying all the time and that it keeps her pretty busy. I was kindly surprised to get a letter from her. I was beginning to think she had forgotten she had a brother. She said she was going to write you. I guess by the time you get this you shall hear from her. How is Nell and the baby? Well and alright, I hope. I wrote Doc and addressed it in care of the lumber company. I guess he will be surprised to hear from me. How is Mom Stacks? I hope by now she is completely well. Well Darling, I will close for this time and I hope I hear from you soon. God bless you and watch over you for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


Johnnie’s sister, Evelyn Marston

Throughout January, snow-covered terrain posed challenges for patrols and supply trains operating under enemy observation. To address this, soldiers donned white camouflage suits, and mules were draped in improvised white capes. Supplies were transported by mule or hand-carried along impassable trails that required constant snow and mud clearance. Despite the enemy’s aggressive defense, their attempts to breach our lines were unsuccessful. The regiment endured long-range machine gun fire, light artillery, and continuous mortar attacks. Occasionally, enemy rockets struck the area. Reserve companies from the 2nd and 3rd Battalions maintained foxholes and weapon emplacements on the regimental reserve line, ready for occupancy if needed. Additionally, an eight-head regimental shower with clothing exchange was operated by the Antitank Company.

During the month of January, 2 Distinguished Service Cross (1 posthumously), 10 Silver Stars (1 posthumously), 11 Oak Leaf Cluster to Bronze Star Medals, 83 Bronze Stars (2 posthumously), 20 Purple Hearts, 1 Oak Leaf Cluster to Purple Heart, and 258 Combat Infantryman Badges were awarded. Three prisoners were captured, all from the 1st Parachute Division. Nine enlisted men were killed in action, 12 enlisted men were wounded in action, and 1 enlisted man was missing in action. The Regiment now consisted of 160 officers, 5 warrant officers, and 3291 enlisted men. Two hundred and fifty-two replacements were received during the month.


On February 1, the 3rd Battalion of the 339th Infantry Regiment maintained the same defensive line established on January 12. This line included the Cuccoli-Farneto Ridge, the northwest slope of M. Grande, and Montecalderaro. Ambush patrols covered all approaches to the front lines, and reconnaissance missions continued to Di Sopra, Casettta, and Bertochi. Despite our artillery and mortar fire, the enemy held key locations, such as C. del Braglia, Albereto, and M. Castellaro. On that night, Company L replaced Company I in the 3rd Battalion’s right sector, while Company I relieved Company K on the left. Company K then moved to reserve on Hill 455.

On February 2, relief operations were smoothly executed within the heavy machine gun platoons of Company M and the Anti-tank Platoon. During the night of February 3, a combat patrol from Company E discovered the house at Di Sopra unoccupied. However, subsequent raids revealed that the house and two dugouts south of it were occupied by the enemy. The patrol faced intense fire, including rifle grenades, hand grenades, and machine gun fire. After withdrawing, artillery and mortar fire were directed at the house. A second attack confirmed the house was unoccupied, but signs indicated recent enemy occupation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment