Thursday, June 6, 2024

February 5, undated, and 7, 1945

On February 4, Company F relieved Company E. Pre-dawn on February 5, the 168th Infantry launched a limited attack and requested fire support from our regiment’s mortars, heavy machine guns, and artillery near M. Mezzano and M. Castellaro. Our supporting fires ceased at 4 PM. The enemy responded with increased artillery, self-propelled, mortar, and machine gun activity throughout the afternoon and night, covering our entire sector.

After the day’s events concluded, Johnnie took a moment to reflect on Earl and Elvie’s recent marriage as he wrote Lucile’s parents on February 5, 1945

Hello Folks,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope this finds you both in the best of health and the rest of the family the same. Well, Lucile wrote me and said Mickey and his wife had a nice shower and received a lot of nice gifts. They are starting off OK, aren’t they? I still can’t get over him and George and all the rest of the kids around there getting married. It makes me feel old. I have a birthday this month. The second one overseas and I hope the last one over here. It used to make Lucile mad when I kidded her about her age and kidding her about her birthday being on April the first, Ha Ha. Sure had some fun out of her on that account. Mary and Betty wrote me two nice letters. I answered them both back, but I doubt if they can read them. My hands were so darn cold, I could hardly hold the pen to write. Will close. Lots, lots love. 

Johnnie


Elvie Stacks, Mickey’s (Earl) wife

The next letter is undated, but since Johnnie mentioned what sounds like Earl and Elvie’s recent marriage, this seems to be an appropriate place to include it.

My Dear Darling

Received a letter from you today and was glad to hear that you are well and in the best of health. Also, glad to hear that the rest of the family are well. I am glad you are getting a few of my letters to you. Every chance I get I drop you a few lines. You are right honey. All we can do it hope and pray for the best and I have really done both. Yes, I hear from the other guys the way things are going back home. A lot of guys over here risking their necks every minute for them and them back home there stepping out on them. It no good. But most of them don’t find it out until it’s too late. I am not worrying about you. You are everything to me. You had plenty of work caring for Mom Stacks. So, I wouldn’t be worry about not getting in enough work on your own job. Right? Anyway, we have a little money save up now. And you know it’s yours to need on what every you may need. You shall consider now that since you have a little money put away in the bank you are rich’s, Ha Ha. I am really proud of you honey. Always was. You know that. O yeah how is George Stacks and his wife? Are they going to make a go of it? I hope so. I am sure Mickey and his wife will do ok. Don’t you think? Well Darling, I will have to close. I miss you a lot and I Love You a millions always.

Johnnie

On the morning of February 6, a deserter from the 6th Company, 577th Regiment, 305th Division arrived at our outpost on Hill 425 from C. del Braglia. The prisoner revealed that their bunkers had been struck by our artillery the day before. Additionally, they received orders to dig deeper into the mountains, and the new officers and non-commissioned officers are all former members of the Hitler Youth. The Hitler Youth was the Nazi Party’s youth organization in Germany. It indoctrinated young Germans with Nazi ideals and served as a paramilitary group. From 1936 to 1945, it was the official boys’ youth organization. After World War II, it ceased to exist and was outlawed. 

Company B was relieved by Company I, 339th Infantry, while Company C was relieved by Company E. Company G also underwent relief by Company E. The 1st Battalion sector command transitioned to the Commanding Officer of the 3rd Battalion, 339th Infantry. Simultaneously, the 1st Battalion, 337th Infantry assembled in the reserve area at C. del Chin just before midnight for rest and light training. Additionally, Company G moved to a reserve position in the 2nd Battalion sector.

A combat patrol from Company B, led by one officer and a reinforced rifle platoon with bazooka teams, raided Casetta. They found the house and positions nearly vacated. Despite receiving enemy machine gun fire from the vicinity of Bertochi and positions north and east of Bertochi and C. Raggi, the patrol persevered. After being pinned down several times, they pulled back and called for accurate and timely support fires. All men returned safely, with only one slight head wound casualty.


Bertochi is located approximately 38 miles from Bologna,
circled in red. You see the Po River within the circle.
Map source: The World Factbook 2021, Washington, DC:
Central Intelligence Agency, 2021, public domain.

Amidst the challenges of war, Johnnie found solace in thoughts of Lucile and his family. His February 7, 1945 letter frequently mentioned his loved ones.

My Dear Darling Wife,

I hope this finds you well and in the best of health and all the rest of the family the same. I received a letter from Nell yesterday and she said she and the baby was well and coming along alright. I sure was glad to hear from her and to know that both are doing OK. She said that Bob might get to come home soon. I bet he is very anxious to see that baby of his. I know I would be if we had one. She said she was staying with Dot and Drex. I told her to get Dot on the ball and tell her to drop me a line. I know that husband of hers won’t write. If he did you would have to get him down and hog tie him, Ha Ha. I dropped Mom Stacks and Doc a line. The last letter I received from her she said as soon as she got able, she would write me more often. I think I wrote you about getting a letter from Evelyn. I sure was glad to hear from that baby sis of mine. Maybe she will write me more often now. Louise writes me pretty regular. I haven’t heard from Kate in a long time. I have done forgot how it feels to even get a letter from her. If you ever see her, or call her, remind her she still has a brother that would like to hear from her. I would like to know if you or Mom Stacks or Nell has ever received any of the gifts I sent. I sure hope they didn’t get lost. O say, do you think you can get me a couple of boxes of cherries coated candy. I sure could enjoy some of that kind of candy right now. Say, are they having a cook shortage there at home? Some of the guys here in the outfit that live in New York and elsewhere up around North say its pretty bad there. Honey, I am sending you this picture of me back. I told you that in one of my other letters. But I forgot to put it in there, Ha Ha. Well Darling, I will close for now. Tell the folks I say hello and to write. God bless you. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 


Johnnie’s sister, Kate Marston

On February 7, 1945, Johnnie sent a V-mail ‘Valentine Greeting’ to Lucile.

A Valentine Greeting
for my Darling Wife
My heart beats faster, Darling,
When I see the flag we love –
It stands for peace and victory –
The things we’re dreaming of –
And it makes me think of You, Dear,
As I think of you each day –
With love, and lots of wishes
That I can’t find words to say!

Johnnie

No comments:

Post a Comment