Thursday, June 27, 2024

February 25, March 4, and 5, 1945

On the night of February 23, Company I took over from Company K. The following day, Company K relieved Company L, which then moved into battalion reserve on Hill 455.

On February 24, the 85th Division received orders confirming that the enemy had been employing small infiltrating reconnaissance patrols—consisting of two to three men—who operated stealthily at night and concealed themselves during the day behind our lines, meticulously documenting their observations. In response, our regiment established daylight patrols in nearby areas, thoroughly searching houses, ravines, and prepared positions not typically occupied by our troops. Each battalion was assigned a specific area, and rear area patrols operated during daylight hours. Remarkably, no enemy patrols were encountered for the remainder of the month.

On February 25, 4.5-inch rockets were positioned and fired at targets. Sixty-three rounds were launched, with only three rounds missing the mark. Remarkably, this marked the 85th Division’s first use of the 4.5-inch rocket on the front lines.


Illustration of the 4.5-Inch Beach Barrage Rocket (“Old Faithful”)
with Mk. 9 motor, U.S. War Department, public domain,
via Wikimedia Commons

Johnnie grappled with the loss of his dear friend and cherished family member when Lucile’s father passed away. In his February 25, 1945 V-mail to Lucile, he struggled to articulate the depth of his emotions.

My Dear Darling,

Well, I received your letter today telling me about one of the saddest things I never would had wanted to hear, and I grant you this is one of the hardest letters to write because there is no words I can express to my feelings about Doc leaving us all. As you know he was Tops to me, and he always treated me as if I was his own son and as you know Darling, we were always great pals. I know it was the worse thing to Mom Stacks to ever happen and I can’t put in words how I know she must feel, as they loved each other so much and I know how the rest of the family feels after losing one they love so dearly. Honey, it is going to be hard for me to write Mom Stacks and tell her my feelings as it is hard to write you this. But as you go by, God knows best for us all. So, please give my regards to all the family. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

On February 26, 75 rounds of 4.5-inch rockets pounded Castellaro—the target area was thoroughly saturated. By February 28, the 337th Infantry’s Company A had been relieved by Company B, 339th Infantry, and Company C, 337th Infantry was replaced by Company A, 339th Infantry.

In February, as the snow gradually melted, the regiment’s focus shifted to enhancing defenses. They fortified dugouts and improved position camouflage. The once-used white camouflage suits and mule capes were abandoned. The weather remained relatively dry, with better visibility due to increased sunshine. To tackle the melting snow and treacherous trails, they launched an extensive road and trail improvement initiative. Specifically, Company A, 310th Engineer Battalion widened the previously one-way road from the 3rd Battalion Rear Distribution Point to Casalino, allowing for two-way traffic. Their efforts also significantly enhanced the supply road.

During this period, the battalion ammunition and pioneer platoons, aided by a reserve company in each battalion sector, expanded existing trails. They carved stair-like steps into the hard-packed snow and ground, deeply ditching both sides and piling excavated soil directly onto the route. To complete the path, they laid a felt and wood mat over the spoil. Despite their efforts, the enemy persistently defended the sector. Their activity remained light, primarily involving long-range two-man patrols, with little progressive patrolling. Enemy fire targeted their positions, including machine gun fire, continuous mortar fire, and an escalation of artillery and self-propelled fire. Flare activity remained typical, and we encountered enemy propaganda shells landing in our area on several occasions. To enhance visibility during nighttime operations, we effectively utilized artificial moonlight for ambush and screening patrols.

A Quartermaster Dogs Platoon was deployed for five nights on ambush patrols, but they were subsequently withdrawn due to excellent visibility, rendering their use impractical. During World War II, the Quartermaster War Dog Program played a crucial role in deploying trained dogs for combat. German Shepherds, Belgian Sheep Dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Farm Collies, and Giant Schnauzers were accepted breeds. These platoons trained and deployed dogs for various roles, including scout and messenger duties. For example, the 34th and 38th Quartermaster Platoons supported the Fifth Army in Italy. Despite being wary of mortar and artillery shells, these dogs served in frontline foxholes, patrolled roads, guarded command posts, and even had night guard duty around supply dumps. Injured dogs received a Purple Heart and commendation, while owners of fallen dogs received certificates of merit.


Browny, a night patrol scout dog and his handler
Sergt. Blaine K. McGaughy. Signal Corps photo
from Evening Star, Washington, DC,
May 20, 1945.

During the month of February, 1 Distinguished Service Cross (posthumously), 6 Silver Stars, 4 Oak Leaf Cluster to Bronze Star Medals, 51 Bronze Stars (3 posthumously, 1 missing in action), 23 Purple Hearts, 9 Oak Leaf Cluster to Purple Hearts, and 268 Combat Infantryman Badges were awarded. Four prisoners were captured. Two officers and 9 enlisted men were killed in action, 39 enlisted men were wounded in action, and 1 enlisted man was missing in action. The Regiment now consisted of 160 officers, 3 warrant officers, and 3371 enlisted men. 

Click here to read the Operations Report by the 337th Infantry Regiment for March 1945.

In March 1945, the regiment, along with attached Companies A and B from the 339th Infantry, held defensive positions. These included the Cuccoli-Farneto Ridge, the northwest slope of M. Grande, and Montecalderaro. The battalions were deployed as follows: the 2nd Battalion (excluding Company F), the 3rd Battalion, and the 1st Battalion (including Company F, 337th Infantry, and Companies A and B, 339th Infantry). The 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry, along with Companies A and C, 337th Infantry, remained in reserve near C. del Chin. Ambush patrols covered all approaches, while reconnaissance patrols maintained contact with the enemy at Albereto, Di Sopra, Casetta, and Bertochi. Combat patrols consistently identified enemy forces. Normal communication with neighboring units was maintained, and daylight patrols operated in our rear areas. Although enemy positions remained static, there was heightened self-propelled activity after midnight on March 1. A propaganda broadcast to the enemy on the night of February 28 to March 1 had no effect. Meanwhile, a Company A combat patrol, led by one officer and 12 enlisted men, found no enemy presence during their mission to Casetta. Our artillery, mortar, and .50 caliber machine gun fire inflicted casualties on the enemy. Simultaneously, the 1st Parachute Division maintained control over strategic locations, such as C. del Braglia, Alberto, Di Sopra, C. Nuova, M. Castellaro, Ca di Ca, Bursano, M. Mezzano, Casignola, Il Polggio, Bertochi, and Casetta.

The 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry took over from the 1st Battalion, 337th Infantry. Company G replaced Company F. Command of the sector shifted to the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry. Meanwhile, Johnnie and the 1st Battalion, 337th Infantry gathered in reserve near C. del Chin for rest and light training.

During the night of March 3, a Ranger Combat Patrol, consisting of one officer and 10 enlisted men, encountered two friendly casualties while attempting to approach a house near Albereta. The patrol observed nine enemy personnel in the vicinity of the house and subsequently withdrew, directing artillery fire toward the objectives.

On March 4, 1945, Johnnie wrote a letter to Lucile using whimsical stationery. It seems likely that Lucile had sent it to him along with other supplies.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you yesterday and was glad to hear that you are well and all right. As for myself, I am OK. I hope this finds Mom Stacks a lot better after what she just went through. That was one of the worst things to happen and being that her health is so run down. I just pray and hope she pulls out of it OK. Honey, I know I shall write her, but being that Doc just passed away it's really hard to write and tell her my feelings. I hope you understand. I think it's best to wait till she’s feeling a little better. Don’t you? I am sorry to hear that the lumber company is being sold. It seems like she could have someone to take charge of it and kept it going. But I guess who ever is looking out for her business and what Doc left her, knows what best. I am glad Bob got to come home and see Nell and the baby. And I can just imagine how he felt to see his baby. I don’t blame him for crying. Well Darling, I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie 

While writing his March 5, 1945 letter to Lucile, Johnnie likely indulged in chocolate-covered cherries. 

My Dear Darling,

I received a letter from you today, also the box with the pocket book socks and writing tablet and envelopes. Thanks a lot. I also received a box from Dad and his wife. It was chocolate cover cherry candies. Boy, I really dug into that, Ha Ha. I am sorry to hear that you haven’t been feeling well lately. Please take care of yourself. Sorry to hear that little Melvin is sick. I surely hope he is much better by the time you get this. It made me feel good when I read your letter saying that Mom Stacks is able to be up. Gee, I sure hope she comes out alright. Sorry to hear that Nell’s baby is sick. Surely hope it isn’t serious. I am sending you the watch back to have it fixed. That is if it doesn’t cost too much. If so, don’t bother with it. Also, I am sending you my badge with the rifle on it. It is broken where it’s supposed to fasten on at, but you shall be able to have it fix for a very little. I received a letter from Dot. Going to answer it one of these days. Dad wrote me about this J. M. Marston and said it might be one of his cousins that’s trying to found out whether he is any kin to me or not. Anyway, quit writing him. If he wants to know whether he is kin to me or not tell him to write Dad or go see him or tell him you have one guy that’s writing to you named Marston and that’s enough. That shall fix him, OK? Ha Ha. Well Darling, I will have to close for now. Thanks again for the package and God bless you. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Melvin Stacks (ca. 1954)

No comments:

Post a Comment