Thursday, June 13, 2024

February 12, 15, and 16, 1945

On the night of February 11, a Company F combat patrol, led by one officer and 24 enlisted men, approached Di Sopra. They found the house occupied but were forced to return due to heavy machine gun, artillery, and mortar fire. On February 12, each battalion established a provisional .50 caliber machine gun platoon within their respective heavy weapons companies. These platoons were deployed to provide direct support for raids, assist in limited objective attacks, and defend against enemy assaults by delivering harassing fire on enemy positions.

Johnnie’s father-in-law, Sam Stacks, passed away on February 11. Unaware of this news, Johnnie wrote a V-mail to Lucile on February 12, 1945. Sam was only 51 years old.

My Dear Darling,

I received your letter that was mailed the twenty-fourth of January. That is the last one I have received from you. Friday is the twelth of February and another one from you is about due. Honey, I told you in two or three letters of mine that there would be times when you might not hear from me in a good while. But when I do get to write you, I try to make up for lost time. Tell George, Earl, and Geral I miss all those old card games we used to have together. But one thing, when you told me it was time to quit if I was there now playing, you wouldn’t have to beg me, or even if I was playing your Dad a game of horseshoes, Ha Ha. Well honey, I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s father-in-law, Sam Stacks

On the night of February 12, Company K took over from Company L. The following day, Company L was relieved by Company I, which then assumed the reserve position.

Sam’s obituary appeared in The Atlanta Constitution on February 12 and 13, 1945.


The Atlanta Constitution, February 12, 1945


The Atlanta Constitution, February 13, 1945

Still unaware that Sam had passed away, Johnnie playfully bantered with Lucile in his February 15, 1945 V-mail—one says wife, one says mother—you figure it out. 

My Dear Darling,

Received two letters from you yesterday and was very glad to hear that you and your Mother received the pillow tops and that they were OK. You wanted to know which was which. Well, the way those were bought, I had one of my buddies to get them while he was in one of the town’s over here and I give him the address to send them to you while he was there. He said he got one with wife on it and one with mother. I am sure the one you have that has wife on it is supposed to be wife, Ha Ha. Get what I mean? I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with one of the girls where you work. Also, glad to hear that you can look out and take care of yourself, which I know you could do all this time. Will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


Members of Battery A, 328th Field Artillery Battalion, 85th Infantry
Division, firing their 105mm howitzers at German positions in the Apennine
Mountains, Ramagnola area, Italy, February 15, 1945. Photographer: Hartman,
3131st Signal Service Company, public domain.

In a V-mail dated February 16, 1945, Johnnie asked about Lucile’s father. Although Lucile might have written to inform him of Sam’s passing, the letter would not have reached Italy by that date. In a more relaxed tone, he also casually mentioned receiving a medal for his injury.

My Dear Darling,

Received two letters from you today and was glad to hear that you received the book about Rome and also the menu. I am glad Nell likes the things I sent her for the baby. I received a letter from her the other day saying she had received the baby’s things. She said she was going to send me a picture of the baby. Be sure she doesn’t forget. Honey, I am sending you a medal I received when I got hurt and was sent back to the hospital. It is one of the pretty medals that the Army has, and I am sure you have heard alots about them. Well, I guess that’s enough on that. How is Mom Stacks and Doc? Tell them both I said hello. Also, little Melvin and the rest of the kids. O’yeah, I wrote Happy the other day and got on him about writing you so much, Ha Ha. I told him not to claim you for one of his girls, Ha Ha. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie

On the night of February 16, a Company I combat patrol, consisting of one officer and 12 enlisted men, conducted a thorough reconnaissance before raiding the house at Di Sopra. Despite encountering no enemies at the first three suspected machine gun positions en route, the patrol reached Di Sopra to find an eerily quiet environment. After a 20-minute wait, they closed in on the building. However, as they approached, they were met with intense fire: machine guns from both flanks, machine pistols from the rooftops, and 50mm mortar shells raining down. The patrol retaliated and called for supporting fire. Tragically, one man was killed, and three were wounded. The critique later revealed that the patrol had inflicted casualties on approximately five enemy combatants. The SCR 300 radio used during the raid was dropped near the house at Di Sopra and fell into enemy hands.

On February 17, the 85th Division issued orders for the reserve battalion, 337th Infantry. Effective February 21, they were to be on a two-hour alert for potential counterattacks in the 362nd Infantry sector. Additionally, the 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry was tasked with establishing command liaison to coordinate counterattack plans with the 362nd Infantry. If the reserve battalion of the 337th Infantry received movement orders, the division’s reserve battalion would assume the position vacated by them and continue the current counterattack mission.

On the night of February 17, a Company E, 339th Infantry combat patrol, led by one officer and 10 enlisted men, engaged in a brief firefight with the enemy before withdrawing to reorganize. During this reorganization, they encountered a deserter who approached them, speaking in English: “I’m a Pollack.” The prisoner was identified as being from the 5th Company, 4th Parachute Regiment. Interestingly, he revealed that the paratroopers had been informed that the formidable American “Sturm” Division was their adversary. While paratroopers are typically daring and carefree at the front, in this specific sector, they exhibited exceptional caution.

The pretty medal Johnnie casually mentioned in his last V-mail was a Purple Heart.


Johnnie’s Purple Heart 

Johnnie’s military discharge papers show he was officially awarded the medal on February 18, 1945.

No comments:

Post a Comment