Thursday, June 20, 2024

February 19, 22, and 23, 1945

On February 18, a 3rd Battalion ambush patrol encountered interference on their SCR 300 radio, likely originating from the radio lost during the previous raid on Di Sopra. Meanwhile, Company I, 339th Infantry was relieved by Company A, 337th Infantry, and Company L, 339th Infantry was relieved by Company C, 337th Infantry, all by day’s end. Company K, 339th Infantry was relieved by Company B, 337th Infantry, and Company B, 337th Infantry was relieved by Company F, 337th Infantry. These transitions were completed, and command of the sector was assumed by the Commanding Officer of the 1st Battalion, 337th Infantry by February 19.

Johnnie was still unaware of Sam’s passing when he wrote Lucile a V-mail on February 19, 1945, eight days after his passing.

My Dear Darling,

Well, how is this finding my Baby today. I hope well and making out OK back there at home. Honey, guess who I received a letter from today. Grandma Marston. Sure was glad to hear from her. The way she wrote though, her and Grandpop are not doing so well as far as their health is concerned. Both of them are up in their eighties now. I sure hope their health improves. Honey, can you get some of those big red handkerchiefs? If so, send me about a half dozen. Honey, have you heard from Earl yet? How is he making out? Say, do you realize in five more days I will be twenty-five? Getting old all the time. What’s your age now? Thirty-five, isn’t it? Ha Ha. Remember how I used to kid you about your age? At least I got memories. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Johnnie


John H. and Mattie Marston on left
(Grandpa and Grandma Marston)

On February 20, the 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry moved to the assembly area via C. del Chin and joined the 337th Infantry. Simultaneously, the 3rd Battalion, 339th Infantry detached from the 337th and returned to its parent unit’s control. Unfortunately, during this time, the 1st Battalion’s advance command post building near La Costa was struck by several rounds of heavy mortar fire, resulting in five fatalities and 12 wounded. Among the casualties were Lieutenant Colonel August R. Schmidt, the battalion commander, and 1st Lieutenant Dow. K. Payton, the S-2 officer.

Enemy mortar and artillery fire escalated daily along supply routes near Cuccoli, Farneto, and the M. Grande trail between La Costa and Vezzolo. Buildings across the front faced harassing fire. In response, command posts and installations previously housed in buildings at Farneto, Montecalderaro sector, and C. del Fabbi were relocated to dugouts on reserve slopes. All positions were fortified, and the battalions intensified harassing and counterbattery missions. Each battalion deployed six .50 caliber machine guns to disrupt enemy installations and supply trails.


Browning .50 caliber machine gun. Photo courtesy of PEO Soldier,
via Wikimedia Commons, public domain.

On February 20, a Company G combat patrol, led by one officer and 15 enlisted men, encountered stubborn resistance while approaching a house at Di Sopra. The patrol split into two groups: one from the left and one from the right (southeast). As the second group neared the house, an enemy soldier fled from the well to a haystack, and automatic weapons opened fire. Simultaneously, the left group faced enemy gunfire and grenades. The patrol withdrew, reorganized, and called for artillery support. They then resumed their approach from the same directions. Despite casualties from hand grenades, the left group advanced within 20 yards of the house before being forced back. The right group could not get as close. Our artillery struck the house five times. The patrol leader estimated 10 enemy soldiers inside the house, with an additional platoon reinforcing the ridge behind it. Machine gun fire came from C. Nuova, Castelletti, and the house and ridge. Enemy medium artillery covered the eastern approaches to the house.

On February 22, Company M mortars targeted enemy dugouts atop Castellaro with fuse-quick mortars. Soon after, two enemy “medics” emerged, brandishing three Red Cross flags. These “medics” stood openly, waving the flags—one even planted in the ground nearby. Subsequently, additional troops arrived, digging into the dugouts, and evacuating six enemy soldiers under the guise of the Red Cross. As the last enemy departed, the “medics” retrieved their flags and vanished over the hill. Our artillery responded swiftly, and later-captured prisoners of war revealed that more casualties had occurred. In a separate incident, Company C, 339th Infantry apprehended two tough prisoners from the 6th and 7th Companies, 3rd Parachute Regiment. Although tight-lipped, these prisoners disclosed their mission: to assess whether our forces were amassing for an attack.


Infantrymen passing through a bend in the road, after coming out
of the front lines. Mt. Grande area, Italy, February 22, 1945.
Photographer: Levine, 196th Signal Photo Company, public domain.

Johnnie probably longed to be home, where he could celebrate his birthday—a sentiment he mentioned in his February 22, 1945 letter to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Well, here it is just a few more days and this month will be finnito. That is, in good old English, through. That is one of the two words I know in Italian just in case it might have slipped your mind. Just two more days and I will be twenty-five. The old rocking chair will soon come in handy, Ha Ha. Regardless of all of that Darling I hope this finds you in the best of health and all the rest of the family the same. Honey, you don’t know the half of it when you say you are missing me more each day. You shall know how I feel. It’s even making me age a lot. That, and this war. Yes, I will drop Mickey a line and see how he is making out. I am sure he will do well though. Yes, I can imagine how Gearl feels after having Mickey around him all the time and they being separated now. But things like that are going on all over the world now, right? You are not kidding when you say something about me liking to stay in bed on Sunday’s like I used to and I really miss that. Those was some of the good old days wasn’t it. Honey, this picture of you is really super. You really are showing all your charms and I am not kidding either. You are a sweetheart if there ever was one. Are putting it’s the old slang’s I once knew. You are the cat’s meow. Anyway, you know what I mean. How is Doc and Mom Stacks? Tell them I said hello and give them my regards. Well Darling, I will have to close for now. O yeah, tell Nell and the baby hello for me, Ha Ha, and all the rest of the family. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Nell, Lucile, Geral’s wife Evelyn, Gearl,
and an unknown man

Happy Birthday, Johnnie! In his February 23, 1945 V-mail to Lucile, he made sure she was aware of the occasion. And as for himself, he harbored a special wish. 

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health and all the rest of the family the same. The last letter I received from you was the fifth of this month, and that’s been almost three weeks ago. As you know, today is my birthday, which makes two I have had since I’ve been overseas. I hope and pray by the time the next one rolls around we all are back home and we have peace once more in this world. Well, I guess that’s enough on that subject. How is your work coming along at Sewell? They are not still rolling over you, are they? Don’t let that girl you had an argument with pull out your hair, Ha Ha. No kidding, I think you can take care of yourself, right? Well honey, I will have to close for now. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie’s letter provided a clue regarding Lucile’s occupation when he mentioned ‘Sewell.’ It seems that she worked as a seamstress for the Sewell Clothing Company, situated in the Atlanta area in 1945. 

No comments:

Post a Comment