Thursday, July 4, 2024

March 7, 10, 12, and 17, 1945

The 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry, captured two prisoners of war from the 7th Company, 4th Parachute Regiment, during their 72-hour patrol to M. Grande. Additionally, Company E’s ambush patrol apprehended two deserters from the 6th Company, 4th Parachute Regiment. The captured POWs revealed that the 6th Company consisted mostly of young, fanatical Nazis who were recent replacements. They believed in a German victory. Furthermore, due to our formidable defenses and limited ammunition, ambush and combat patrols were not deployed.

Johnnie responded to three of Lucile’s letters when he wrote to her on March 7, 1945. Additionally, thoughts of his late father-in-law weighed on his mind.

My Dear Beloved Wife,

I received three letters from you today and it really made me feel good as I haven’t heard from you in almost a week. I am going to try and answer all of them in this one the best I can. Well Darling, the first thing I want to know is that this finds you in the best of health and all the rest of the family the same. As for myself, I am as well as can be expected, just wanting to be back with you more each day I am away from you. You know how I feel. So, there isn’t any use in going into that, right? Yes Darling, I pray by the time I have another birthday, I am back home with you and I hope our prayers are answered. You said you was wondering where I spent my birthday. Well I can’t say much on that part. But there was a lot of other places I would rather had been on that day. I hope that answers your question. I am glad you like the Valentine. Yes, I have the one you sent. It was very nice, so was the others the rest of the family sent. I wouldn’t doubt what that boy of Louise’s wouldn’t do. It was a wonder he sent the picture of his girl instead of the girl in person, Ha Ha. Yes, I remember Mickey McCluskey. I am glad to hear he is still OK and well. We really used to have a time with that car of his, didn’t we! Ha Ha. I hope Woodrow makes out OK with the Army. I doubt if they will take him though. O yeah, glad to hear that your old boyfriend is home on furlow, Ha Ha. Of course, I mean Dean. I surely hope he doesn’t have to go overseas. Tell him I said hello. Honey, I wrote a letter a few days ago in care of Dot. But I want all the family to read it. It is my way of telling all the family my feelings when I received your letter telling me that Doc had died. It is really hard to tell your feelings when you like a person so well. So, I hope you and all the rest of the family understand that. All of you know my feelings through him, as we always joked to one another about everything or you know I still can’t believe he is gone. About a month ago we over here had a chance to send some gifts home. We selected from a catalog. I sent you, Mom Stacks, and Doc a gift. But being that he is gone now tell Mom Stacks to give it to anyone she desires to. I didn’t want to tell about the gifts because I wanted it to be a surprise to you all. But being what has happened, I think this is better. Don’t you? Well Darling, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


True to form, Johnnie’s thoughts were with others as he wrote a letter to Lucile on March 10, 1945.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know, I am well and OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health and making out alright back there at home. I hope my mail to you is coming pretty regular. I haven’t heard from you in almost two weeks’ now. I received a letter from Dad and his wife yesterday. They are well. I guess I told you about getting a five-pound box of chocolate candy from them, didn’t I? I eat so much of it I got pretty sick, Ha Ha. I hope Earl gets out of the Navy. They shall let him out. Has Irwin come home yet? He shall be by now. How is Mom Stacks? I hope much better. Give her my regards. Is little Melvin any better? Gosh, I hope nothing happens to that kid. How is the weather at home now? It isn’t so bad here now. I read in the paper the other day about the big flood that hit up north. What I read it seems pretty bad. Well honey, there isn’t much to write this time so I will close. Tell all the folks hello for me and God bless you all. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Lucile and Elvie

On the night of March 10, the 2nd Battalion (excluding Company G) was relieved by the Lovett Scouts. Meanwhile, Companies G and A of the 339th Infantry were relieved by the 3rd Battalion of the 18th Rifles. Company G relocated to the assembly area near Sassimo, and Company A, 339th Infantry, moved to the rear under parent unit control. On March 11, the 2nd Battalion established a temporary camp near Gagliano. The 1st Battalion, 339th Infantry was relieved by the 3rd Battalion, 18th Rifles. Meanwhile, the 3rd Battalion, 1st Punjab Regiment (part of the British Indian Army) completed their relief. Additionally, Headquarters 25th British Brigade took over from Headquarters 337th Infantry, and command of the sector shifted to the commanding officer of the 25th British Brigade.

On March 12, 1945, Johnnie wrote a letter to Lucile’s mother, offering words of comfort following the passing of Lucile’s father, Sam.

Dear Mom Stacks,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and pray that this finds you much better. I can understand just what you went through and how much Doc meant to us all. Please, let’s try to carry on because I know he would want us too. And you, Mom, know better than I do that he was never a quitter. So, we all have to carry on for his sake. Please forgive me for not writing you sooner. That I know you can understand. Lucile wrote me and said that Melvin was sick. I pray he is much better by now. I hope Earl gets out of the Navy. I am sure he will. I am glad to hear that Edna is out of the hospital. Give her my regards. How is Betty and Mary? Tell them I am still waiting for an answer to the letter I wrote them. Tell Gearl I am depending on him now. And I know if he tries, he can look after things, right? Well Mom, I will have to close for now. Tell all the family’s I said hello and God bless you all.

Lots lots love, Johnnie


Earl Stacks

In the first half of March, clear weather and improved visibility allowed for easier supply maintenance. One-quarter ton vehicles freely moved along the jeep trail created by the Antitank Company and Company A, 310th Engineers. Despite the enemy’s stubborn defense, our observation posts spotted enemy personnel along various routes. Flare activity persisted, and artificial moonlight aided visibility for ambush and screen patrols.

On March 12, the 3rd Battalion established a temporary camp near Gagliano, while the regimental command post was set up in Pruneta. All organizations (except the 1st Battalion) were in the Gagliano area. Subsequently, the regiment’s units moved from Gagliano to the Montecatini rest area. During the period from March 12 to 24, each battalion and separate company spent four days at the rest area. Meanwhile, the remaining organizations in the Gagliano area underwent training in preparation for early entry into offensive combat. Finally, on March 14, the 1st Battalion closed into the temporary camp.

The 1st Battalion stayed in reserve near C. del Chin and took charge of regular ambush patrols across the entire sector until at least March 14. This likely explains why Johnnie had not found time to write to Lucile in several days. However, in his letter on March 17, 1945, he emphasized that she had complete authority to make any alterations to the house as she saw fit. Clearly, she was the boss!

My Dear Darling,

Received two letters from you a couple of days ago. But haven’t had time to answer them till tonight. I hope this finds you in the best of health and all the rest of the family the same. You wanted to know if I care if you fix up the back porch of the house. Well as you know, I told you in most all of my letters to you that I wanted you to do the things that you thought was best on anything that we had or share when I was home and you know now since I am away from home you are the boss, Ha Ha. You mentioned something about Mom Stacks saying that I could still buy the little house down by Woodrow if it is still in pretty good condition. I would still like to have it. One reason is I like the area it is in. I just received another letter from you and you said you was going to get those handkerchiefs for me. Be sure they are the big large one. The reason I want them is I have just a couple of handkerchiefs and I want to get a supply of them kind because I can use them for my cold and being that summer is about here, they will come in handy because it gets pretty hot and they will be alright when you start sweating. I hope Mom Stacks is a lot better and give all the family my regards. God bless you all and I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 

1 comment: