Thursday, July 18, 2024

April 3, 5, 8, and 12, 1945

In April 1945, the regiment trained intensively in a temporary camp south of Lucca, gearing up for the impending Spring offensive in Italy. The rigorous schedule covered weapons training, range and field firing, and practice of newly adopted battle drills for small units—aiming to prepare all troops for offensive combat.

Although Johnnie could not be with Lucile on her birthday, he made sure to express his heartfelt closeness when he wrote her a letter on April 3, 1945. He also hinted at family issues regarding the Stacks Lumber Company.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health and everything is OK back there at home. Your birthday just passed and on that day was also Easter Sunday. I hope on that day you enjoyed yourself as I know it wasn’t so good being that the way things are. But just remember I was thinking of you as I am always doing as you shall know you are my favorite dream. Honey, I am glad to hear that Mom Stacks is able to get up for a little while. Give her my regards. Also, glad to hear that the rest of the family are well and alright. I am sorry to hear the way Charles Stacks and the rest of your kinfolks are going about over the lumber company. I didn’t think they would be that way. But usually when you think some people are your friends you find out about how they are when things like that come up. I hope Mom make out with them. You are more than right they shall be ashamed. Tell Nell, I can’t hardly wait to see the pictures of the baby. Thanks a lot. Well Darling, I will have to close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Lucile

When Johnnie wrote a letter to Lucile on April 5, 1945, he was certain that he had sent her more than one letter in March. He was right! Looking back, he wrote her at least six times.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you today. One was the 27th of this month and the other one was the 30th. So glad to hear that you are well and alright. But sorry to hear that where you are working you are not doing so well. What I mean on that is you said you wasn’t getting the stuff to keep running. You were saying in one of the letters about Mickey getting you a locket. I hope it don’t turn out to be one like I got you in Texas that was supposed to be gold and wasn’t, Ha Ha. You remember that? I surely felt cheap, no kidding. Sure glad to hear that Nell and the baby are well. I hope to see it someday. Like to see little Carol also. Honey, you should have received more than one letter from me for the month of March. I didn’t have time to write much. But I grant you I wrote more than one letter. Sure glad to hear that you heard from Mr. and Mrs. Day. Yes, I hope someday we can go visit them. They were swell to us. You said something about painting the rooms over again. What color are you painting them now? Ha Ha. If I remember right the last time, I saw those rooms they all were different colors, Ha Ha. Right? Glad to hear that Gearl is helping you. Maybe he’s good for something after all, Ha Ha. Well honey, I will close for now. Tell Mom Stacks and the rest of the family I said hello. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Leola, Carol, and Mary

Although Johnnie could not mention it in his letters, the Spring Offensive commenced in Italy on April 6, 1945, lasting until May 2, 1945. Codenamed Operation Grapeshot, this marked the final Allied attack during the Italian Campaign in the closing stages of the war. 


A map of the Spring Offensive that took place from April 9 to May 2, 1945
(http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/brochures/po/map2.JPG, public domain,
via Wikimedia Commons)

In his letter dated April 8, 1945, Johnnie’s genuine care for his nieces and nephews’ shines through. He frequently inquired about them and even requested photos to keep their memories close.

My Dear Darling Wife,

Hello Honey, I hope this finds you in the best of health. As for me, I am OK. I received two letters yesterday from Dad and his wife. Just one was really a letter. The other one had some clipping of the paper. Also, had a couple of the two [unreadable] which you get off a street car and buses. I have never received the handkerchiefs or the other things you sent me. I sent you some pictures of some pals of mine that are in my outfit and one of my old company commanders who went to the states. He was one swell guy and a fighting fool. We all miss him. Well honey, how is Mom Stacks? Is she able to get up and around good yet? What about the trouble with your Dad’s brother? How did it come out? OK, I hope. O say, have you ever received my watch and the rifle badge? You shall have by now. O yeah, tell Nell I am still waiting for the pictures of the baby. Also tell Dot to send me a picture of Carol. I would like to see how much she had changed since I last seen her. Well honey, I guess this is all the news for this time. So, keep writing and God bless you. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

Johnnie reflected on the time he had been away from Lucile in his April 12, 1945 letter, which included a message for his brother-in-law Geral.

My Dear Darling Wife,

I am writing you again today, what I mean again is I wrote you a V-mail but I didn’t answer all the questions in the two letters I received from you. So, to make up for it, I am writing a full letter. Yes honey, you are not kidding when you said that it seems twice longer than what it is since I have been overseas. It has been a long time at that, eighteen months about. Sometimes I wonder if all this is a nightmare or a dream, and that I would wake up. I guess you think I am crazy or something, but that’s the way I feel. Maybe I am off the beans, Ha Ha. Anyway, regardless wherever I am, or what I am doing, you are with me as if I was back there at home at your side. Remember that I am glad Mom Stacks finally got my letter to her. I hope to hear from her soon. Sorry to hear that Mickey’s wife’s folks lost their home. Give them my regards. Glad to hear that you have finished up on the house. I bet it looks good. O’yeah, tell Geral I said he had better buckle down and help Mom Stacks or I will spank his fanny when I come home. That is if he isn’t too big, Ha Ha. No kidding, honey, tell him I said he was the man around the house now, and it is up to him to look after things. Maybe being that I said that it might do some good. Well honey, I will have to close for now. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Gearl Stacks (years later)

On April 12, 1945, Franklin D. Roosevelt passed away from a cerebral hemorrhage while sitting for a portrait at his retreat in Warm Springs, Georgia. Vice President Harry Truman took the oath of office the same day, marking the end of an era. Roosevelt’s passing stunned the world, and hundreds of thousands of people paid their final respects as his body was carried from Georgia to Washington, D.C., and then to Hyde Park, New York, where he was buried.


Photo by FDR Presidential Library and Museum, - 03-46, public domain; 
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43540741

No comments:

Post a Comment