Thursday, September 19, 2024

May 25 and 27, 1945

In his May 25, 1945 letter to Lucile, Johnnie felt the need to reassure her. He wanted her to know that his love was unwavering, and there was no one else but her. Additionally, he referenced the Advanced Service Rating Score, a system used by the military for demobilization. Soldiers earned points based on their service: 1 point for each month of military service, 1 point for each month service overseas, 5 points for each combat award received, and 12 points each for dependent children under 18 years of age (up to three). 

My Dear Darling,

Received two letters from you yesterday. Also, one from Nell. Sure was glad to get them too. Haven’t heard from you in quite some time. Glad to hear that Dad’s wife is coming along OK. I have been wanting to write to her. But tonight is the first chance I had time to write in the last five days. We had to haul prisoners from Austria down here to the prisoner of war camp and I have been riding back and forth the last few days. Tomorrow we pay tribute to the boys in our outfit that have given their life for this great victory for freedom and peace here in Europe. The only thing about this is it just makes me think of the pals that are gone. But not forgotten, right? Well that’s enough on that. Honey, you were talking about this point system, wondering if I had enough. No, I have just seventy. If I had a couple little Johnnies I would be setting pretty, Ha Ha. If I knew what I know now, we would have quantriblist, Ha Ha. Right? I think that’s the way to spell that word isn’t it? Anyway, I think you can make it out. What are you talking about wondering if I feel about you the way you do me? Listen here. All I have been through I know I couldn’t have if I knew you wasn’t with me and waiting for me! You remember when we started going together and I told you that if anything came between us, I would let you know. Well, you are still tops to me and there is none that can take your place. And everything that I have hoped for and dreamed about is built around you. Lou, you don’t want the same Johnnie back and I doubt if you are getting the fool that thought the world was built just for him. There are changes. A lot from the other Johnnie you married. But as far as loving you there are none. You are part of me in everything I do. Remember that. Well sweetheart, I hope you understand me. I could do better if I was there. I pray that will be soon. Tell all hello for me and drop a line. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

 

US troops aboard the USS Gen. Harry Taylor reverse their route back to
New York, August 11, 1945. National Archives and Records Administration,
public domain.

In his May 27, 1945 letter, Johnnie shared details about their experiences transporting prisoners of war and described their living conditions.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you yesterday. You were saying something about your side being sore since you fell off of the ladder and that you were going to the doctor to have a checkup on yourself. I think that’s a darn good idea. Your side could be serious and you not knowing it, except once and awhile when the pain hits you. I am very concerned about your health and I am wondering all the time if you are well or not. As for myself, I am not too well here lately. But the reason is I am at war rather was moving day and night with German prisoners that we didn’t have time to sleep or eat regular. I have lost about eight or ten pounds. All of us have for that matter. But the last two days we have been staying in a hotel with a few soft beds in it and all we have been doing is sleeping and eating. It’s not bad at all. But I don’t know just how long this will last. I am sure not for long. Glad to hear that you got the gift I sent Doc. It just doesn’t seem right him being gone. But as you say he is a lot better off than a lot of us are. I am glad all of you like your gift. What I want to do now is get back and give you a honeymoon if I am able. On your money of course, Ha Ha. O yeah, you wanted to know whether I received your picture or not. I’m sure I wrote you and told you I got the pictures. Maybe I didn’t though. Anyway, it’s a swell picture of you. It even looks better than the Lucile I used to go with. Maybe you know her. She lives down in Stackville, Ga. and boy can she make a chocolate cake, Ha Ha. Know her? Well honey, I guess that’s enough of that. So, I will close. Tell Mom Stacks and the rest of the family hello for me. And I pray to see you all soon. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

On May 29, 1945, the 3rd Battalion relocated to the Mis-Sospirolo area. By the end of the month, the 1st Battalion was stationed in the Belluno-Sedico area, the 2nd Battalion in Agordo, and the special companies were positioned on Lake Alleghe.


Panoramic view of Agordo in Italy. Photo by Circolo fotografico agordino (an Italian photography
club based in Agordo), CC BY-SA 3.0 http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/, via Wikimedia Commons.

Although Johnnie did not mention it directly, a newspaper article in Kentucky’s Paducah Sun-Democrat on May 31, 1945, revealed that his best friend, Sgt. James Lamb, had received the Silver Star. Sgt. Lamb was recognized for “gallantry in action on April 19, 1945, in Italy.” It is highly likely that Johnnie was alongside Sgt. Lamb during that significant day.


Sgt. James Lamb Wins Silver Star, The Paducah Sun-Democrat,
Paducah, Kentucky, May 31, 1945

During the month of May, 25 Silver Stars Medals (4 posthumously), 3 Oak Leaf Cluster to Bronze Star Medals, 124 Bronze Star Medals (4 posthumously), 86 Purple Hearts, 35 Oak Leaf Cluster to Purple Hearts, 217 Combat Infantryman Badges, and 67 Medical Badges were awarded. Four enlisted men were killed in action, 3 enlisted men died from wounds, and 2 officers and 10 enlisted men were wounded in action. The Regiment now consisted of 168 assigned officers, 1 attached officer, 5 warrant officers, and 3273 assigned enlisted men, and 19 attached enlisted men. 

In May 1945, General Mark W. Clark, the Commander of the Allied Forces in Italy, wrote a letter to the 15th Army Group at the end of the war. The letter reads: 

With a full and grateful heart I hail and congratulate you in this hour of complete victory over the German enemy, and join with you in thanks to Almighty God.

Yours has been a long, hard fight—the longest in this war of any Allied troops fighting on the Continent of Europe. You men of the Fifth and Eighth Armies have brought that fight to a successful conclusion by recent brilliant offensive operations which shattered the German forces opposing you. Their surrender was the inevitable course left to them, they had nothing more to fight with in Italy.

You have demonstrated something new and remarkable in the annals of organized warfare: You have shown that a huge fighting force composed of units from many countries with diverse languages and customs, inspired, as you have always been, with a devotation to the cause of freedom, can become an effective and harmonious fighting team.

This teamwork which has carried us to victory has included in full measure the supporting arms which have worked with us throughout the campaign. The services that have supplied us have overcome unbelievable obstacles and have kept us constantly armed, equipped, and fed. The magnificent support which we have always had from the Allied air and naval forces in this theater has written a new page in the history of cooperative combat action.

Our exultation in this moment is blended with sorrow as we pay tribute to the heroic Allied soldiers who have fallen in battle in order that this victory might be achieved. The entire world will forever honor their memory.

I am intensely proud of you all and of the honor which I have had of commanding such invincible troops. My thanks go to each of you for your capable, aggressive, and loyal service which has produced this great victory.

MARK W. CLARK
GENERAL, USA, COMMANDING
May 1945

Click here to read the Operations Report by the 337th Infantry Regiment for June 1945.

No comments:

Post a Comment