Thursday, September 26, 2024

June 1–4, 6, and 8, 1945

At the start of the period, the 1st Battalion and Service Company were stationed in the Belluno-Sedico area, the 2nd Battalion was located at Agrodo, the 3rd Battalion operated in the Mis-Sospirolpo area, and the Special Companies were positioned around Lake Alleghe. During the month, light training persisted, focusing on orientation, education, athletics, and recreation.

Johnnie had experienced enough of the war, and as he looked ahead, he made a conscious effort not to dwell on it once he returned home. At least, that is what he shared with Lucile in his June 1, 1945 V-mail.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health. I received a letter from you yesterday that was mailed the twenty-third of May. Not bad, do you think? In this letter you wanted to know where I am at. Well, I am two miles from a town called Belluno, south of it. If you get an Italy map with most of the towns on it, you shall be able to tell about where I am at. You said when I did get home, I could just talk till my heart was content. That’s OK too, but that’s something I don’t want to do. What I mean is, not think about this war. That’s just over. Or the present one with Japan. That’s one thing I want to forget, and all the rest do too that are in the infantry. Well honey, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

As you read Johnnie’s June 2, 1945 V-mail, it initially seems like he might fuss at Lucile about something. However, as it turns out, he is complimenting her instead.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you hear from me and to let you know I am well. I hope this finds you the same. How is Mom Stacks making out? Well, I hope. What about the rest of the family? I just hope soon I will be with you. That’s what most of us that came over with the outfit are worrying about at the present. If we do have to go fight the Japs, we all are hoping to go by the States for a thirty-day furlough. Keep your fingers crossed. We will know soon. O’yeah, not to get you mad or anything, but every time I have been getting a letter from you here lately, I have been keeping account of the dates of the letters. And you have been doing a good job of writing me and letting me know what’s going on back there at home pretty regular. Keep it up. Will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

In his June 3, 1945 V-mail, Johnnie expressed concern about Lucile’s financial well-being. His primary focus was ensuring that she had everything she needed.

Hello Darling,

I received one letter from you today and one from Mary. Sure was glad to hear from you both. Yesterday, I received the nice Bible your Mother sent me. It sure is a nice one too. Honey, the reason I asked you about your savings account is I just wanted to know if anything happens where you might need money, that you would have it on hand. If you didn’t, you could write me and I could help. I hope you get what I am trying to say! Do you? I am glad you like the pictures of me. But as my opinion of them, they are not worth looking at. I can’t understand where you and the rest of the family think I am getting better looking. Wait till you see me as myself. I look like sad-sack, Ha Ha. No kidding. Well honey, I will close for this time. Tell all the folks hello for me. And to you I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie and unknown man (post-WWII)

During World War II, pin-up girls played a significant role. They contributed to the war effort by selling war bonds and boosting morale through letters to soldiers. These images adorned military publications and magazine covers, eagerly anticipated by servicemen. Johnnie had his own pin-up girl back home in Georgia, and made sure to convey this sentiment in his June 4, 1945 letter.

My Dear Darling,

I received two letters from you today and was glad to hear that you are well and alright. As for myself, I am OK. Glad to hear that you are getting my letters to you pretty regular here lately. Remember every chance I get I try to get a letter off to you. As long as I know you are still waiting and there no other guys beating my time while I am away doing things that I thought once was inhuman, I am perfect in feeling and very Damn Happy to know I have as a wife such a swell woman and not one of those I used to run around with before I met you. You know some of the ones I am talking about very well. Right? Well that’s enough on that subject. Just remember you are my number one pin up girl and mine alone, OK? You say Mom Stacks is painting her house inside. I bet it looks nice. Say, by the way, are those rooms you painted different down at our house still the same? You remember you had one blue, orange, pink and white, I think. Anyway, it really looks good. Say if you are getting mail from McClueley you could send me his address yourself. Couldn’t you? Or haven’t you ever thought of that. Anyway, you told me a couple of months back he was going to write. But he never did. Where is his wife anyway? O’yeah, you said here in one of your letters that you were going to Warm Springs with Woodrow and a bunch but you were sick at the time and said you wasn’t going. That’s OK too. But you said the bunch. What’s wrong, don’t I know the crowds or are they a new bunch since I left? Must be. All you named was Woodrow. What about your side? Did you go to have a checkup? One thing I have learned since I have been away and that is if I say I am going to do something I do my darndest to do such. Which I see I have to teach you the same when I get back, Ha Ha. Maybe you think I am blowing my top. Well I am in a way. This was over here while it lasted much had got the best of me. Sometimes I wonder. Yeah, I guess there are a lot of guys around there at home coming back now. I just hope I can get a boat going that way. Well honey, I will close for now. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Although we cannot be sure, we believe this photo was taken ca. 1945 so may be the “bunch” mentioned in the letter.
Back row: Woodrow Oglesby, Francis Stacks Oglesby, Elvie and Earl Stacks, Mary Stacks, Leola Lemon Stacks.
Front row: Shirley Oglesby, Betty Stacks, Melvin Stacks. We believe the baby off to the left on the ground is Jerry Oglesby.

In his June 6, 1945 V-mail, Johnnie requested that Lucile send financial assistance to his sister Kate.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines this morning to let you know I am well and OK and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health. I received a letter from Kate today. She sent me a picture of her and the two kids. She said she was going to move out to College Park sometime this month. She said she would be able to see you a lot then. As I wrote you before, she wrote to Louise for some money to help her with the kids. But all Louise could send her was ten dollars. From what I get out of Louise’s letter, she has been sick here lately and Louise said a few debts have piled up on her while she was sick. Louise wanted to know if I could help Kate out any and I told her I would. What I want you to do is take thirty-five dollars out to her. Louise said she would help Kate pay back to us whatever we loan her. If she doesn’t, it’s OK because they are my sisters and I can’t let them down when they are in trouble, right? Kate’s address is 100 5th Street NW. I will write you a longer letter. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

In his June 8, 1945 letter, Johnnie attempted to reassure Lucile in case he was sent to the Pacific instead of returning home. He also apologized for something he had mentioned in a previous letter.

Dearest Lou,

Received three letters from you yesterday and one from Mary. Sure was glad to get them too. Say what about you taking it easy. Every letter I get from you, you say you are OK except only tired. Remember you don’t have to work yourself to death. So, go easy for awhile. You might work yourself down to nothing then what will I have to come back too? Ha Ha. I am glad to hear that you are getting my letters right along now and yours to me isn’t bad at all. You wanted to know whether I might get to come home soon. Well, I can’t say for sure as yet. But all of us that came over with the outfit think we will go by home, if we are shipped to the Pacific. Don’t worry about Mickey. I think he can take care of hisself. O’yeah, thanks a lot for consenting my wish about us getting together when I do make that boat for home. I know it’s going to be hard to get away from the folks. But we will do it someway. Right? About me being a machine gunner, if I do go to the Pacific, if the Army wants me to stay as one, I haven’t got much to say about it. Anyway, it’s a good weapon to have around when things get to going tough. And I should know. Let’s hope I don’t have to see anymore action. Right? I doubt if I could take anymore anyway. O’yeah, about Dad’s wife having an operation on her breast, I wasn’t making fun of her or was I offending you. That’s just my old opinion of a breast, when I used to run around. Known as a tit. About the way men and women are doing. Let’s don’t let things like that happen between us. You remember the trouble we had once before. I made a promise to you and I also asked forgiving from that swell guy above. Well, I know now I am on the right track with him. Because he could have had me knocked off if he wanted me to go. Alots of times. As you know. Well honey, I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie 


Mary Stacks

2 comments: