Thursday, October 3, 2024

June 10, 11, 15, and 20, 1945

On June 10, 1945, Johnnie included a recently taken photograph of Company B in his letter to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Well, here it is Sunday and a pretty bad day too. It has been raining for the last two days. I used to like for the weather to be like that. But not no more. Since I am away from you. You remember where I was back home if it was a rainey day. I always laid off of work. It’s funny but when the weather is like it is today, I just enjoyed staying home and having a time with you. Honey, it has been three days since I heard from you. I have written you every day this month so far except two days and at that time I was where I wasn’t able to write. A couple of days ago we had a pretty good size picture of our outfit made. We all received a picture this morning. I am sending it home so that it is taken care of. In case you can’t find me on this picture, I am laying down on the front row with my hair down on my forehead next to the guy with the watch on his arm. Don’t I look cute, Ha Ha. How is Mom Stacks? Well, I hope the rest of the family are OK. I hope you understand me about Kate in what I wrote you in that V-mail. Say honey, in that box with the blanket, there is a box, rather a match box, and in it is a compass and a German Purple Heart. Let me know if you receive that also. Well, it’s time for the mail check to come around and pick up the mail so I will close for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


337th Infantry, Company B, Italy, June 1945
 

Johnnie is in the front row, third man from the left (center)


A Rememberance from the 1st Battalion Enlistedmans Club (Belluno, Italy).
Many of Johnnie’s fellow soldiers signed the photo on the back.

In his letter dated June 11, 1945, Johnnie sought to clarify to Lucile both the points he had accumulated and the criteria for earning additional points in his Advanced Service Rating Score.

My Dear Darling,

I received your letter to me, the first one of this month, yesterday, which was dated June the first. I got one today which was dated the fourth. That’s not bad at all. But what happened to the second and third? Maybe they are on their way. My mail to you is coming pretty regular, that’s good. You wanted to know about this point system. Well, I told you I had just seventy points. The day after I wrote you that, I was told I was awarded the Bronze Star for a heroic deed in action so that gives me five more points and makes my total seventy-five. And they say they are going to give us another battle star for fighting the Germans here in the Alp mountains of Italy. If so, that will be five more points which will make eighty. And I get two points for every month I am in service and two for every month I am overseas. Well that take care of that. O’yeah, the latest we have heard over here is every guy with sixty points over will go home for a furlough before being assigned. Gosh, don’t give up hope for me. If I do have to go to the Pacific, I am pretty darn sure to come by home first. I will be home by two months and a half from now, or not at all. What I mean by that is I really don’t believe I will see any more action, and they might put me as army occupation over here till the war is over in the Pacific. I am not sure of anything as yet. But you will know about two months from now. You can bet on that. I know one thing, all us old men here in the outfit are pretty sure we will go by home before we are assigned to any more jobs to be done. They say when a woman senses anything like her husband: or sweetheart that something is going to happen to them it usually comes true. Just do something like that and maybe before you know it, I will be right by your side back there at home, Ha Ha. Well honey, I will close for now. Tell all the folks hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

P.S. in your next letter send some airmail stamps, OK?

Love, Johnnie

In his June 15, 1945 letter, Johnnie mentioned receiving several letters, including one from Lucile’s cousin Irvin. Like Johnnie, Irvin was stationed in Italy and had also acquired a few gifts during his time in Venice.

My Dear Darling,

Received a letter from you yesterday. Also, one from Dot. The first mail I have got in about five days. You know since this war has been over here it just seems like the mail has fallen off for me. I guess everybody figures that being that it is over, they just say well he is safe and OK now. There just isn’t any use writing him so regular now. What do you think? Also, we are having it pretty easy now. But what next? Who knows? I got a letter from Irvin a few days ago. He was telling me he didn’t have to worry any more about being shot at or shelled. He is back in Naples, about six hundred miles below Italy from here. The first time I have heard from him in about six months. He is driving now a bus. O’yeah, I went on a pass to Venice a couple of days ago. While I was there, I bought you a pair of beads. Also, Mary and Betty a little pin with a boat on it. Let me know if you received them or not. Sorry to hear that you are not working now, don’t let it get you down. I know it’s hard on you when you haven’t anything to do but it around and worry wherever I will be home soon. I have the same trouble myself here lately. Just waiting. A couple of days ago we had two of our boys killed. They were guarding an ammunition dump and it blew up. About seventeen Germans got it also. That’s hell to go all the way through a war, then get it on something like that. A guy never knows when his time is up though. How is Mom Stacks? And the rest of the family? OK, I hope. Tell them all hello for me and I hope to see them soon. O’yeah, Dot said if I stay away much longer, she would forget how I looked when I left. She doesn’t know the half of it. I have forgot that myself, Ha Ha. I feel my age too much now. Because I know ten years of my life is gone. Well honey, I will close for now. Keep writing, praying and hoping I will see you soon. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie visited Venice (see blue star on map). Image from Library of Congress, Washington, DC,
Geography and Map Division.

Johnnie and Lucile were ready to start a family, something he alluded to in his letter dated June 20, 1945.

I love you a million, always

My Dear Lou,

Received a letter from you yesterday which was mailed the tenth of June. Honey, have you received the blanket I sent you? You should have by now. A lot of the fellows that have sent them say that their family have received them. Let me know, OK. Well, a lot of the fellows have left to go to other outfits. I am expecting to leave any day now. I just hope the outfit I go in stops by the States before going on to the Pacific. Keep your fingers crossed. Sure would like to have been there for that wine roast. I am really a chow hound now, Ha Ha. I can eat anything now. I am glad you are having folks to come around and see you. It keeps you from being so lonely, right? Sorry to hear that you haven’t heard from Mickey. But I am sure he is alright. I guess by the time you get this Robert will be home. Some guys have the best of luck, right? Yes, it’s been every bit of eighteen months and more since I saw you last. That’s one reason I think I may be home soon being over here so long. Boy, I sure hope they lower the points if I am going to get out on a discharge. They better. Yes, I sure would like to start a family if I can get back to you before I get too old, Ha Ha. Being what I have been through, I wouldn’t want no boys being fear that they might have to go through what I been through, get what I mean? O’yeah, get those crazy dreams out of your head. If we had a baby and me thinking all the time that you bear us a daughter or son. Would make me feel proud all the time. You get what I mean. Well honey, I will close for now. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie


Johnnie’s brother-in-law, Robert Astin

1 comment:

  1. I really LOVE these letters. You are so blessed to have the opportunity to see what life was like during the war. And thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete