Thursday, October 17, 2024

July 3, 4, and 12, 1945

As July began, the 1st Battalion and Service Company were stationed in the Belluno-Sedico area, the 2nd Battalion was located at Agordo, the 3rd Battalion operated in the Mis-Sospirolo area, and the Special Unit Companies were positioned around Lake Alleghe. Throughout this period, light training persisted, focusing on orientation, education, athletics, and recreation.

Amidst the changes taking place within the Regiment, Johnnie found himself part of a significant transition—the Army transferring him to the Corps of Engineers. Yet, he remained uncertain about the implications of this shift. On July 3, 1945, he shared his new address with Lucile in a V-mail.

Dear Darling Wife,

Please address as shown below until otherwise advised.

PFC John H. Marston
Co. A, 404 ENGR. C BM
APO No. 464
New York, NY

The above complete address should be placed on all mail sent to me.

Well, here is my new address. I am now in the Combat Engineers as I told you in my other letter that there was going to be a change in my address. I also told you not to write till you receive this. I can’t tell you anything about the engineers because me being a front-line soldier up till now there isn’t a thing I know about how they work or anything else for that matter. Well, I will close. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

After the war ended in Italy, combat engineers were crucial in rebuilding the war-torn country. They repaired infrastructure like roads and bridges, cleared mines and unexploded ordnance, and supported military occupation efforts. Additionally, they trained local engineers, participated in long-term infrastructure projects, and provided humanitarian assistance to displaced persons and refugees. These efforts were vital for stabilizing and aiding Italy’s recovery and development.


World War II recruiting poster for the U.S. Army Corps
of Engineers, public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

How long will it take for Lucile’s letters to catch up with Johnnie’s new location? That was something he pondered when he wrote a V-mail to Lucile on July 4, 1945. He made no mention of the July 4th holiday.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and I hope that this finds everything with you going OK. Well, I guess now that I have a change of address, it will take what letters you have wrote me a good while to catch up with me. I hope not too long. O yeah, I received the package with the candy and hair oil. Thanks a lot. Say did you ever go out to see Kate? How is she? What did she have to say about the money? O’yeah, did you ever send off my pen yet? I really need something to write with. I doubt if you make out what I am writing on this, with this piece of pencil I got. O’yeah, I am out of writing paper again and airmail stamps or airmail envelopes. So, if you want me to write you something besides V-mail you better send the material, Ha Ha. I miss you a lot and I love you a million. 

Johnnie 

On July 6, 1945, the 337th Infantry received movement orders from their headquarters. On July 7, the Special Unit Companies relocated to Belluno, and the Regimental Command Post was established there. Subsequently, on July 9, the Regiment commenced movement by rail and organic motors to the Volturno Redeployment Training Area near Caserta, Italy. The 310th Medical Battalion furnished one ambulance to accompany the convey. Before troop departure, trains were positioned two hours in advance. The Train Commander and Entraining Officer inspected the entraining point according to Society of Automobile Engineers (SAE) Instructions Section T-1070 (dated February 7, 1945). Entraining involves assembling and boarding soldiers onto trains or other transport. Upon troops’ arrival, they were divided into groups for car loading. For trains with “40 & 8” boxcars (40 men or 8 horses), each group included 25 individuals, excluding the officer. Roll call occurred, and entraining groups were positioned at car entrances. Troops rapidly boarded upon the Entraining Officer’s signal. During the convoy movement, troops were strictly prohibited from firing any type of weapons at telephone poles, wires, insulators, or other objects. The Regiment arrived in the Volturno Redeployment Training Area on July 11, 1945. The Army had strict procedures for these troop movements, as follows:

Detraining operations were overseen by the Advance Detachment of the 85th Infantry Division in Caserta. Upon reaching their destination, Train Commanders promptly contacted the Division Detailing Officer at the Caserta Railhead. Adequate transportation was available to move troops and equipment from the railhead to the Volturno Redeployment Training Area. Clearly marked rest stops were strategically planned at Poggio Ruscio, Bologna, Florence, Leghorn, Grosseto, and Rome, with 20 minutes allotted per stop. Train Commanders ensured that staff were well-versed in safety precautions, including not detraining without specific authority, avoiding damage to railway property, and conserving water. During rest stops, troops refrained from using train lavatories. Proper uniform was required except during rest periods. Bars were off-limits to officers and enlisted personnel. A bugle signal prompted immediate entrainment, and a command post was established by the train commander. Water pickups occurred at stops in Leghorn and Rome.

Troop uniforms consisted of wool OD shirts and trousers, helmet liners, combat boots or shoes, leggings, packs, and individual arms. Each soldier carried their own duffle bag, while officers had hand luggage. Duffle bags and bedrolls for officers were placed in cars with officers. A train surgeon was assigned to the train, responsible for knowing hospital locations along the route. During movement, the four kitchens in boxcars were unavailable. No inflammables or explosives were loaded in baggage or boxcars. Ranges and gas cans were drained and aired before loading. Guards were posted for the kitchen car, carrying sufficient ammunition. They rode on the 40 & 8 car closest to the equipment car, and no ammunition was allowed aboard the trains.

During troop movements, each individual carried three days of hard rations. In the 40 & 8 boxcars transporting personnel, three full five-gallon water cans were loaded. A hot meal awaited all troops in Rome, while coffee and doughnuts were served in Grosseto and Vicenza before train departure.

Convoys, guided by Division Military Police, departed each morning from the previous night’s bivouac at 7:10 AM, with subsequent departures every 20 to 30 minutes. The guide speed ranged from 20 to 25 MPH, depending on the location. Six checkpoints were established along the route. The estimated arrival time at the training area was 50 hours from departure in Feltre. An appointed captain served as the investigating officer for any accidents en route, collecting witness statements and conducting on-the-spot investigations. The captain’s sole duty was to report incidents, riding at the end of the convoy.

During the convoy, four Ordnance facilities were strategically placed along the route. If any vehicles became disabled, they were either towed to a new area or to one of the Ordnance installations, depending on their condition and distance from the destination. In cases where towing was not possible, a call was made to the nearest Ordnance installation. No wrecked or disabled vehicle was left unguarded. When turning in vehicles, a tally was secured and later submitted to the Division Ordnance Officer upon trip completion.

Troops established temporary camps during their journey. The first night, they camped at Staging Area #1, located four miles south of Pisa. The second night, they stayed at the PBS Convoy Park, 11 miles south of Rome on Highway 7 near TCP ‘R.’ Water was available at the temporary camps near Pisa and Rome; all water cans were refilled before departing from camp. Insect repellent and mosquito bars were used at these camps, which were clearly marked. All vehicles departed with full tanks and gasoline cans. Four designated refueling points were planned along the route, each allowing 20 minutes for refueling.




Route maps to Volturno Redeployment Training Area

On July 12, Colonel Raymond C. Barlow assumed command of the Regiment, replacing Colonel Oliver W. Hughes, who had been transferred to 5th Army Headquarters. During their time in the Volturno Redeployment Training Area, all organizations continued training, focusing on subjects with disciplinary value, including military courtesy, close order drill, ceremonies, interior guard duty, and Articles of War.

Johnnie’s last letter barely had time to reach the States before his address changed again. The past two weeks had been busy for him—new job, training, and getting new eye glasses. He wrote to Lucile about it all in his letter dated July 12, 1945.

My Dear Darling,

Well, I guess you want to know why I haven’t been writing you regular here lately. Well, a lot has happened in the last two weeks. I am now in an engineer outfit, not in the infantry no more thank God. I sent you an address to write me which is right except since I sent you that address, I have been transferred to another company. I will put my correct address at the end of this letter. So, you will be sure and get my address right, OK? Well, you can quit sending me packages now because by the time they get here, I will be on my way. I am going to take six weeks of engineer training over here. Then the commanding officer said we were going to load up and head for home for more training. So, the way things seem right now, I will be home. Keep your fingers crossed. Did you receive any package from me here lately? Let me know. Well honey, since I have changed addresses, your mail to me hasn’t caught up yet. So, it’s kind of hard to write a very long letter. Tell Mom Stacks I received the marshmellows and they were swell. What did Kate have to say? I have been back in the hospital with my eyes. In case you don’t know it, your Johnnie has to wear glasses now. I really look like an old man, Ha Ha. Well honey, that’s all the news for now. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

P.S. My address is P.F.C. John H. Marston Jr., H&S Co. 404 ‘C’ Engineer, A.P.O. 464, c/o P.M. New York NY

No comments:

Post a Comment