Thursday, October 10, 2024

June 24 and 26–29, 1945

On June 22, 1945 at the Belluno air strip, the regiment took part in a Field Day featuring athletics, military events, and horse racing. The competition was organized on a company-versus-company basis, with H Company securing the most victories.

In his letter dated June 24, 1945, Johnnie expressed strong feelings about the girlfriend of an old comrade who had been seriously injured during the war.

My Dear Darling,

Received a letter from you yesterday. Sure was glad to hear that you are well and alright. As for myself I am still sweating it out. Still waiting. Yes, I can understand what you mean about the days seeming longer. It gets me the same way too. Yes, I guess you are getting fed up on working. You have been at it so long now. I have told you in my other letters that if it was harming your health any, I wanted you to quit. And I mean just that. I received a letter from Louise yesterday. Also, one from my old buddy Forest Tubbs. As you know, he is back in the States in the hospital. He was wounded in the arm, and hand, and side. He said he didn’t think he would be able to use his right hand anymore. He wrote to me left-handed. I have to read his letters over three or four times before I can make out what he is talking about. I really feel sorry for the kid. But it could have been worse. Right? His girl came to see him, he said while he was in the hospital near his hometown. She hurt him, worried then that shell that got him, by telling him that in the condition he was in they could never get married now. He wrote and told me about it and asked me if I was in his shoes what I would do. I told him I would mostly shoot her if not that. I would beat the hell out of her. Because if somebody didn’t do it. She would mostly ruin some other guys life. If so, she doesn’t know the good things of life so why should she stay around at all. Right? Well honey, I will close for now. Anyway, I might blow my top if I stay on this one subject. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie 

Johnnie had previously mentioned Forest in a letter dated December 4, 1944. Discharged in June 1944, Forest remained in contact with Johnnie. According to World War II Hospital Admission Card Files, Forest Tubbs, back home in Tennessee now, had sustained nerve damage in his armpit from shrapnel caused by an artillery shell. This injury resulted in brachial palsy, causing weakness, numbness, or paralysis in his arm, which forced Forest to write with his left hand. Although we do not know who his ‘girl’ was during his recovery, Forest married Rhetta Olivia Doom in 1949, and their union lasted 50 years.


Pfc. Forest Tubbs

On June 26, 1945, a delegation from this Regiment departed for the Volturno Redeployment Training Area near Caserta, Italy. In a letter Johnnie wrote that same day, he expressed a longing for Lucile. As the war’s end drew near, he yearned to see her once more and asked for her help in reclaiming the man he once was.

Hello Babe,

I received a letter from you yesterday and glad to hear that you are getting my mail OK. I am OK as far as health is concerned. But as usual missing you more. I don’t know why, but I have had the feeling that I will see you sometime this year. O’yeah, you took what I wrote you about waiting for me the wrong way. What I meant is that I hope nothing ever came between us that would make us part. And Gosh Lou, lets never let that happen. I love you so much. I doubt that is one thing I couldn’t take. I can stand the Germans shooting all around me and the Japs too as far as that goes. But for me and you to break up, that’s something else. In other words, a song I just learned fit me to you, like a T. The name of the song is ‘I am all alone.’ At the end of the World. And it has a verse in it that says ‘What good is the world without you.’ Please take what I said above serious. I am trying so hard to be the same Johnnie again that you once cared so much about. A lot of times when I haven’t anything to do, I just sit and think about you and me and the future. And the one thing you and me both want. You can’t blame a guy for dreaming, can you? There’s a lot I have to forget and you can help me too by bringing the same Johnnie back to his normal mind again. So much has happened the last two years for us both. And I know it has put a strain on you also. Forget about the trip to Warm Springs, my error. O’yeah, about the house whatever way you want it is OK with me. You have always been boss of that part anyway, Ha Ha. Right? Yes, I will write Mom Stacks. I know how it is. You know I haven’t written Dad and his wife. Not even since she has had that operation. I better get on the ball or Dad and her are going to think I am not around anymore, right? Well honey, I will close for this time. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

P.S. How quick can you send me a carton of cigarettes?

Johnnie 


Johnnie’s father, John

Johnnie continues to send words of encouragement to Lucile’s mother in a letter dated June 27, 1945.

Dear Mom,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and I hope and pray that this finds you and the kids in the best of health. I hope you have everything straightened out by now on the lumber company and other things that had to be taken care of. I know Mom just what you have been through in the last few months and it has hit you very hard. I know he would be proud and I’m sure he knew you could carry on for the kids. Which you are doing such a swell job of. Mom, don’t worry so about us boys. You see that we have a job to do which one now is finished. Thank God. I don’t want to live under a Jap dictation. Neither does Mickey, Cecil, Robert or any of the boys for that matter. So, to stay free and to keep freedom, we have to keep these guys out, right? A buddy of mine just brought me two letters, one is from you and the other is from Luke. I am going to stop writing and read them. Then maybe I can answer some of it in this letter, OK. Mom, in this letter you wanted to know if I received the Bible with the steele case. Yes, and I think it’s very nice. Thanks a lot. I haven’t received the package with the marshmallows yet. But thanks for getting them for me. Yes, I can bet the way you have the house fixed up now that it looks good. Keep your fingers crossed, for I think I will be home soon to see it myself. O yeah, get that out of your head about not seeing Mickey anymore. He will take care of himself and I will be sure he would want you to look on him as a man now, not as a kid, right? Well Mom, I will close for now. Tell all hello for me and give my love to Luke.

Lots Lots Love, Johnnie


Johnnie’s mother-in-law, Leola Stacks

In his June 28, 1945 letter, Johnnie mentioned a dream Leola told him she had about him. He was also appreciative that Lucile was looking after his sister and her children. 

My Dear Darling Wife,

Received two letters from you yesterday and was glad to hear that you are well and alright. Sorry to hear that you are not working here lately. Because I know when you don’t have nothing to do, you just sit around and worry. Right? That place you worked at sure does have a lot of trouble with their machine and so forth. Why don’t they invest some money in some new machines and they wouldn’t be having so much trouble? Right? Thanks for going out to see Kate and see what she needs. Whatever you loaned her, I am sure she will pay us back. If she doesn’t, it’s OK, right? Because I know it’s hard to raise two kids, just her alone trying to raise them. Right? O’yeah, honey, have you ever received any of the packages I have sent home? Why I ask is most of the fellows that sent guns and other things home their folks have already received them. I just hope mine gets home OK. I wrote your Mother yesterday. She said in the letter that she wrote me that she dreamed I brought a baby home. Isn’t that something, Ha Ha. Did she say anything to you about that dream? I know if I done anything like that, I would just as well go fight the Japs because you would shoot me anyway, Ha Ha. Sorry to hear that you are having rained weather that when I shall be home with you. Right? Well honey, I will have to close for now as I go on guard in about ten minutes. Tell all hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie

In a June 29, 1945 V-mail, Johnnie shared that he has a new assignment and will have a new address soon. He also continued to offer hope to Lucile.

My Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and hope with all my heart that this finds you in the best of health. Well, you better not write me no more after you get this. I am leaving tomorrow to another outfit. So, I will have a new address. So, wait till you hear from me again. OK? I know one thing about it, I won’t be a front-line soldier anymore. That’s in my favor. Right? And I am still pretty sure I will be seeing you soon. So, don’t give up hope as yet. I will let you know more about the setup when I write you the next letter, OK? Boy, the weather sure is hot over here now. How is it back home now? Has it ever stopped raining? Ha Ha. Lately every letter I receive from you, you said it was raining. I wrote you an air mail yesterday. Also, I dropped Dad a line. I have been getting your mail pretty regular here lately. How is my coming? How is Mom Stacks and the kids? Well, I hope. Well honey, I will close for now. Tell all Hello for me. I miss you a lot and I love you a million.

Always, Johnnie



Front and back of Johnnie’s June 29, 1945 V-mail to Lucile

As the period concluded, all organizations remained in their initial dispositions. However, significant personnel changes occurred among both officers and enlisted men throughout the month.

During the month of June, 1 Legion of Merit Medal, 22 Silver Stars Medals, 3 Oak Leaf Clusters to Silver Star Medals, 636 Bronze Star Medals (7 posthumously), 9 Oak Leaf Clusters to Bronze Star Medals, 1 Soldier’s Medal, 91 Purple Hearts, 36 Oak Leaf Clusters to Purple Heart, 5 2nd Oak Leaf Clusters to Purple Heart, 19 Combat Infantryman Badges, and 105 Medical Badges (includes 103 Badges issues to 310th Medical Battalion) were awarded. Four enlisted men were killed in action, 3 enlisted men died from wounds, and 2 officers and 10 enlisted men were wounded in action. The Regiment now consisted of 168 assigned officers, 1 attached officer, 5 warrant officers, 3273 assigned enlisted men, and 19 attached enlisted men. 

1 comment: