Thursday, October 20, 2022

You’re in the Army now - December 13, 1942

Johnnie was inducted as a private in the U.S. Army at Fort McPherson in Atlanta on November 30, 1942. He entered active service as a rifleman on December 7, 1942 and was assigned to Company L of the 334th Infantry Regiment, 84th Division. At the time of his enlistment, Johnnie worked as an off-bearer, someone who picks up the freshly sawed lumber and piles it up in appropriate stacks, at the sawmill when he joined the Army. 

Johnnie, now weighing in at 120 pounds, had lost 15 pounds since he had registered in July 1941.

Camp Howze, Gainesville, Texas

It didn’t take long for the Army to send Johnnie to the military training camp he had been talking about for so long. A young new soldier, Johnnie could now tell Lucile he had been sent to Texas in a letter dated December 13, 1942. He couldn’t give her an address yet but still had a lot to say in this first letter from camp.

Dear Darling, 

I finally reached my camp today, and guess what, I am back in Texas again. I can’t give you my address in this letter because I don’t know what outfit they are going to put me in just yet. I just arrived tonight. Well is everything going alright with you? Are you alright? Keep your chin up darling, because I am going to be alright. This camp is just being finished up and I have a chance to make corporal if I want to. What do you think of that? Say honey I made up my mind to do just what you said to do, leave drinking, and gambling and everything else that would make me sorry alone, I am going to be the best a fellow can be. Say honey, how is my little dog getting along? Fine, I hope. Has he had any more fits? I hope not. Tell Dot and Drexted I will write them right away and the rest of them the same. Tell Earl and Geral I said hello and to write me. Tell all the kids hello for me to. And honey don’t worry because I have been treated swell. This camp I have been sent to is a nice place so far. Well Darling that all the news so far, and except I am still reading in the bible and I found out a lot I didn’t know. I will not mail this letter tonight, so I will wait till morning, where I can put the address in here. So, goodnight and lots of love to you mostly, and all the rest the same. 

x x x x x Johnnie

Johnnie also sent a postcard to his mother-in-law on December 13, 1942 to let her know where he was now.

Tell all hello

Hello Mother,

Just a line to let you know I am OK and hoping you are the same. I was shipped into camp today and I am a pretty good ways from home. I am in Texas. I will send you my address as soon as I get my station address. Well, I will write you a letter next time. So, lots of love.

Johnnie



December 13, 1942 postcard to Johnnie's mother-in-law

No comments:

Post a Comment