Thursday, October 27, 2022

Camp Howze - December 15, 16, and 17, 1942

On December 15, 1942, Johnnie told Lucile that he was now located at Camp Howze, an infantry training facility in Texas. He was already looking forward to the end of training so he could be with Lucile once again.

Dear Darling, 

Just a few lines to let you know that I am still thinking of you, and haven’t forgotten you. When you write me please do not print my name on the front of the letter. Please write it out in long hand. Say, can you get me a couple of bucks till pay day? I have to have a little to buy some soap and shoe polish and a few other things. Well I’m starting in for training today and it isn’t so hard. There is a lot of boys in I use to go to school with and that’s one reason I don’t feel so bad. But if I could see you and be with you, I wouldn’t feel bad at all. I will be with you, as soon as I take all of my training, I hope. Well, this is all I can write right now, because I have to get ready for inspecting. So, answer right back by airmail if possible where I will know you got this. 

So, lots of love, x x x x x Johnnie

Please write my name out like this:

Pvt. John H. Marston Jr. 34575705
Co “L” 334th Inf.
A.P.O. #84
Camp Howze, Texas

Camp Howze was located on about 65,000 acres of land near the city of Gainesville, Texas. Activated on August 17, 1942, it was the training camp for the 84th and 86th divisions of the U.S. Army. Soldiers stationed at Camp Howze received actual combat training. They trained in all types of weather—rain or shine—to learn about “concealment in the field.” Soldiers were required to train in obstacle, infiltration, and mental conditioning courses, knowing that all of them would make them a better soldier.


Site of Camp Howze Historical Marker (click to enlarge), image from HMdb.org,
photographed by Mark Hilton July 21, 2016; https://www.hmdb.org/m.asp?m=96908.
 

Camp Howze poem from an unknown newspaper found with Johnnie’s letters.

Johnnie quickly got into the routine of writing as often as he could, sometimes daily. In a letter from Camp Howze dated December 16, 1942, he assured Lucile that he was alright and told her about the camp. 

Dear Darling, 

Just a few lines to let you know that everything is all right and I am learning fast. We are having some mild weather up here, but I still have a little cold. The way the boys on the train was talking, I thought I was coming to a bad camp. But the infantry is the best outfit there is, especially the one I am in. I have just come in for a two hours rest and have to go out on the rifle range with I go back. I took another shot today and my arm is a little sore. Please send me Arnold’s address and Dad’s address so I can write to them. Also, Louise and Mother and Evelyn. 

Love always x x x x x, Johnnie

P.S. Here is a little note for Dot and Dres and the kid. Tell all hello.

Johnnie sent Lucile this “safe arrival” postcard postmarked December 17, 1942.  

Co. “L” 334th Infantry
APO No. 84. CAMP HOWZE, TEXAS.

I have arrived safely at my new station. I am well, and in order that I will receive my mail promptly please address it to me as indicated below. Notify my friends of this address.

Camp Howze is five (5) miles north of Gainesville, Texas, on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad and Santa Fe Railroad. My Regiment is part of the 84th Division, “The Rail Splitter Division.”

Will write you more later.

Pvt. John H. Marston Jr.
Co. L, 334th Infantry, 34595705
APO No. 84, Camp Howze, Texas. 

  


December 17, 1942 safe arrival postcard from Camp Howze

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. My father's training there in 1944 was his last stop before heading overseas. He first spent a year at Ft Sill, Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete