Thursday, October 6, 2022

October 9, 29, and 31, 1940

Four months passed since Johnnie’s friendship with Demp became strained and it appears to have gotten worse. In a postcard dated October 9, 1940 and postmarked in Atlanta, Johnnie made it clear he didn’t want to be near Demp.

Dear Darling,

I receive your letter and didn’t like it at all. Me and Demp still don’t like one another, and if you go to that shower and expect for me to come you are going to get fool. Don’t say anything about this to anybody because I don’t want it to get to Demp’s Mother. If you go, I am going to get Bill to come by for you. But if you rather stay there, they will see you later next year. 

Love, Johnnie



October 9, 1940 postcard

In a postcard dated October 29, 1940 and postmarked in Atlanta, Johnnie referenced attending a party with Lucile. 

In a hurry

Dear Lucile, 

Just a line to let you know I am OK if you care to know and hoping this finds you the same. I really enjoyed myself at the party Sun___ night. Tell Dot I am trying to find that flower jar for her. I will write you a letter following this card. 

Love, Johnnie



October 29, 1940 postcard

Johnnie worked as a supply clerk at F. H. Jackson Dental Supply in Atlanta. It was from that business that he sent his next postcard to Lucile on October 31, 1940. His job was keeping him busy at the time. In the postcard, Johnnie mentions his old friend Demp, whom he must have mended fences with. Unfortunately, it appears that Demp was still letting Johnnie down when it came to rides to College Park though. 

Dear Darling, 

I am sorry I didn’t get down Wednesday night, but Demp didn’t come by like he said he would, and I didn’t have no other way to go. Darling I hate to tell you this, but I wonget to come down there till about three weeks, one reason I wont be able to is this is our busiest season and I will be working till 8 and 9 o’clock at night but please don’t be mad at me. I will write you every day till I see you. 

So, lots of love, Johnnie 



October 31, 1940 postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment