Thursday, September 29, 2022

September 19, 24, and October 7, 1940

We all take telephones for granted today, but in 1940, only 36.9 percent of households had a telephone. It’s apparent that neither Johnnie nor Lucile had access to a one, so he continued to communicate with her via postcards. In a postcard dated September 19, 1940, and postmarked in Atlanta, Johnnie told Lucile the exact day and time of his next visit to College Park.

Dear Lucile, 

Just a line to let you know that I am sure I will be down Saturday about three o’clock so don’t go off. Tell Dot and Nell and all hello and lots of love to you. 

Johnnie



September 19, 1940 postcard

Lucile must have been sick when Johnnie arrived on Saturday. He mailed her another postcard on September 24, 1940, postmarked in Atlanta, inquiring about her health … and her cow.

Dear Darling,

Just a line or two hoping you are better. Did any of that ice cream and fish make any one sick down there. I hope not. Did you ever sell your cow? Ha Ha. I expect to be down Wednesday nite if nothing happens so till then lots of love and tell Dot and Nell and all hello. 

Johnnie



September 24, 1940 postcard

As required by the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940 passed by Congress on September 16, 1940, Johnnie knew he would be required to serve in the military for 12 months. Goodbyes can be hard on the soul, and Johnnie expressed his feelings about leaving Lucile for a year in a postcard dated October 7, 1940 and postmarked in Atlanta.

Dear Darling,

I am awful sorry about not seeing you Sunday. Please forgive me. I found out it is going to be hell for me when I leave for a year of military training with you near me when we parted Friday night. I didn’t sleep a wink all night long. 

So, lots of love. Johnnie. 



October 7, 1940 postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment