Thursday, September 22, 2022

July 2, July 18, and September 3, 1940

Johnnie didn’t make it to College Park to see Lucile that weekend nor did she make it to Atlanta. It was too far for Johnnie to walk, and his now ex-friend Demp was no longer an option. Johnnie expressed his love and then explained why he didn’t make it to College Park in a postcard to Lucile dated July 2, 1940, postmarked in Atlanta. He lived at 553 Washington Street in Atlanta at the time.

Dear Lucile, 

I love you and always will. I am very sorry I didn’t get down there last weekend. But I didn’t have no way to come. Me and Demp are not on speaking terms now so I didn’t ask him to take me. I thought you would be up here Sunday, but you weren’t. I will try to be down Fri + Sat. If not, you try to come up here. 

Love Johnnie

I still care and always will.



July 2, 1940 postcard

In a postcard dated July 18, 1940 and postmarked in Atlanta, Johnnie seemed a little concerned about his relationship with Lucile. He hasn’t been to visit her in several weeks, so he probably expected her to be upset. In this postcard, Johnnie hints at something … perhaps a marriage proposal?

Dear Darling,

Or shall I say Lucile. I am very sorry you haven’t heard from me sooner. But it is my fault and I think I shall be shot. But Darling, I have been getting ready to go to camp Aug 4. I want to see you this weekend and next week. So please don’t have no date. Because I want to ask you one thing before I go. 

Johnnie



July 18, 1940 postcard

A month and a half passed before Johnnie’s next communication to Lucile and it provides no clue as to whether he made it to visit Lucile or whether he got the chance to ask her “one thing” before he went to camp. In a postcard dated September 3, 1940 and postmarked in Atlanta, Johnnie wanted Lucile to know he was thinking about her, and her sisters as well.

Dear Lucile,

Just a line to let you know I wasn’t fooling you when I said I was going to write you. I will see you Saturday at noon. So be good till I see you. 

Love, Johnnie

Tell Dot and Nell hello. 



September 3, 1940 postcard


Lucile's sister Nell Stacks

No comments:

Post a Comment