Thursday, September 8, 2022

May 20 and 28, 1940

Johnnie lived in Atlanta; Lucile lived in Red Oak, almost 14 miles away. He didn’t have a car, so had to depend on others for a ride, or walk, which he hinted at in a postcard dated May 20, 1940. The postcard was postmarked from Atlanta to Miss Lucile Stacks, College Park, Ga Route 1. He used a different term of endearment this time when he addressed Lucile.

Dear Darling, 

I am sorry, but I couldn’t get down Sunday. But I will be down there this weekend. Boy is my feet sore, Ha Ha. That the first time I have ever walk six miles for any girl, and for you I will do it again. 

Love, Johnnie x x x x x



May 20, 1940 postcard

Although he had good intentions, Johnnie apparently didn’t make it to Red Oak that weekend. On May 28, 1940, he sent an apology via postcard, postmarked from Atlanta to Lucile at the same address. Johnnie didn’t include a return address on this postcard.

Darling, 

I am sorry I wasn’t down there on the weekend. I didn’t have no way to come. But I will be there next weekend if I have to walk, so be good till I see you. 

With Lots of Love, Johnnie

 


May 28, 1940 postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment