Thursday, September 1, 2022

January 3 and February 16, 1940

It was five months before Johnnie mailed another postcard to Lucile, at least that we know of. This one was postmarked January 3, 1940 from Atlanta and addressed to Lucile at the same College Park address as the previous postcards. Like people often do after a year changes, he wrote 1939, the old year instead of the new year, 1940.

Dear Lucile, 

I haven’t much to say, except I hope to see you Friday night if nothing happens. Tell Dot, Dent sent his love and I will give you my when I see you again. Tell Nellie I bring her a boyfriend. 

All my love, Johnnie



January 3, 1940 postcard

By February 1940, things must have started getting serious between Johnnie and Lucile. In a postcard dated February 16, 1940, he addressed her for the first time with a term of endearment. This postcard is addressed to Lucile at the same College Park address.

Dear Sweetheart, 

Just a line to let you know I haven’t forgot you and thanks for the valentine. I am coming down Thurs evening if I have to walk this weekend. You just don’t know how much I miss you. 

So, Lots of Love, Johnnie



February 16, 1940 postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment