Thursday, September 15, 2022

June 14 and 26, 1940

Over two weeks passed before Johnnie wrote Lucile again. In a postcard dated June 14, 1940 and postmarked from Atlanta to her College Park address, Johnnie referred to Lucile as having been sick. Perhaps that was why he didn’t make the trip to Red Oak.

Dear Lucile, 

I received your card and was glad to hear from you. I am sorry you had the sore throat. Bill said Hello to all of you. This card makes us even again so start writing. 

Lots of Love, Johnnie x x x 

 


June 14, 1940 postcard

Trouble was brewing between Johnnie and his friend Demp, who apparently was not following through on promises to give Johnnie a ride to Red Oak. Johnnie complained about Demp in a postcard dated June 26, 1940, postmarked from Atlanta to Lucile at her College Park address.

Dear Lucile, 

Please excuse me for not writing sooner. But I been expecting to be down there. I would have if it hadn’t been for Demp. He was supposed to pick me up at my house. We made a date to come down, three times the last two weeks, but I haven’t saw him yet. So, I just quit trusting him anymore. If I can I will be down there this weekend. Try to be up here Sunday. If I don’t show up down there. 

Love, Johnnie x x x x x 



June 26, 1940 postcard

No comments:

Post a Comment