Thursday, November 3, 2022

December 19 and 20, 1942

In a letter written from Camp Howze on December 19, 1942, Johnnie asked about family members and requested that they write him. When Johnnie refers to Doc, he’s talking about his father-in-law, Sam Stacks.

My Dear Darling, 

Just a line to let you know everything is going all right and that I am well. I hope you are the same. How is everything back home? Fine, I hope. Say, give my horseshoes to your Dad and tell him I said to keep in practice, because I will be back one day soon and he will need it, Ha Ha. I haven’t received any mail from you yet. I hope to get some today. We are having inspection this morning. That is why I can’t write you a long letter, but I will write you again tonight. How is Earl and Geral getting along? Fine, I hope. Are they still going hunting? Have they killed anything yet? How is Grandma? I hope she is well. Tell her hello for me and get her address so I can write her. How is Nell and Robert doing? OK? Tell them I said hello and for them to write me. Tell all that live in the Pines hello. Tell Doc I hope he has got the farm and that it is a good one. Well, that’s all I can write right now because I have to get dressed for dinner. But I will write more tonight.

Love, Johnnie


Johnnie's brother-in-law, Earl Stacks

Photos were an important part of a soldier’s life when they were away from home. Johnnie often wrote to Lucile, sending photos of himself or asking for photos of her and other family members as he did in a second letter from Camp Howze dated December 19, 1942. He was beginning to understand why America was at war.

Hello Darling, 

Just a few more lines from where I left off this morning to let you know I haven’t forgot you and I couldn’t forget if I wanted to. I have just been gone a week, and to me it seems like a month. As soon as I can I am going to have some pictures made and send them to you. Have some pictures made of all the crowd and send them to me if you can. If not, send them as you get them. Have some pictures made of you and send them to me. I have two pictures of you, but I want some late pictures of you. So, have them made right away. I have been pretty busy here learning to be a soldier and I haven’t been doing so bad at all. But there is a lot of work to be done to be a good one yet. Since I have been in, I have been learning a lot why we are fighting, and I really don’t mind fighting at all. The main thing is that our country is about to lose its freedom, and they need men to defend it. That is one reason I am here. The other is I want to talk when I want, live like I want, and to do other things like I want to. So Darling, that’s one thing we all want to do. Please answer this letter right back. Lots of love and I keep thinking of you + + + + + + + + + + + 

Johnnie

Merry Christmas x Happy New Year


Snippet from the December 19, 1942 letter

Pictures, weather, addresses, old friends, his dog, and insurance—Johnnie’s letter dated December 20, 1942 from Camp Howze was all over the place. His mind must have been racing that night.

Dear Darling, 

Just a line to let you know that another letter is being written to you. How is my baby today? Fine, I hope. I am the same. I guess you have already gotten that letter asking you to have some pictures made. Have you started working yet? If so, let me know. What have you been doing since I been gone? Are you having any “dates.” If so, who is the luckie fellow? Ha Ha Ha. How is my dog? Is he still lazy as hell? Ha Ha. Are you going to send me those addresses or not? Or have you received the letter asking to get them for me yet? It is kind of chilly here today. I believe it is going to rain or snow. I have wrote you telling you that I have met some boys here I used to know when I was a kid and it sure does feel good to have somebody here you know. One thing if you are lonesome like me. I am sending you my insurance papers, but I have put in for $5,000 more after this month, so if I need it back, send it when I write you for it, just in case they need it. Be sure to put this insurance papers in a safe place. Well, I guess that’s all the news for today so please answer right back. So, lots of love. Kisses x x x x x x x x x 

Yours, Johnnie

That number I put by my name every time is my serial number. You know, the one I have around my neck.


Snippet from the December 20, 1942 letter

No comments:

Post a Comment