Thursday, November 24, 2022

December 28, 1942

Johnnie didn’t have time to write Lucile on the 27th but he received a letter from her. He found time to write Lucile on December 28, 1942, trying to keep her from worrying about him being sent overseas.

Dear Darling,

Received your letter yesterday but didn’t have time to answer it until today. How is my baby tonight? Fine, I hope. I am the same. Honey you said you been getting two letters a day, you should get more than that, because I have been writing to you every chance I get. You said you miss me a lot. Gal you don’t really know just how I miss you. It’s getting where I can’t do nothing, because I have you on my mind all the time, wonder what you are doing and other things. I sure would like to see the sawmill and the mules your daddy got now. Tell him I said hello, and don’t work so hard. Don’t worry about me having to go across right away because this camp just started and it will be a good while before they fill it up. And when I do go, I will be well trained. And don’t worry, I will take care of myself. I do hope you get a job for a little while any way because you will have something on your mind, and you won’t be worrying about me so much. I wish I could have got you and all the rest something for Christmas, but you know why I can’t. I will send you a carton of cigarettes for Drexel, as soon as I get paid. Thanks for Grandma’s address. I will drop her a line tomorrow sometime. I will send you and all the rest a picture of me as soon as I get some made. I have written Dot and Drex a couple of cards and letters and have not received any answer from them yet. Tell them if they can’t write, get Carol to write for them, Ha Ha. Well sugar I got Earl and Geral’s letters with your mail so I better write them. So am right back. 

Lots of love, Johnnie

He also took the time that day to write two other letters on December 28, 1942—one to Lucile’s brother, Geral Stacks, who lived in College Park, Georgia. 

Hello Pal,

I am glad to hear you are getting along OK. I am the same. Keep the rifle shining and clean and it will shoot a lot better. I am glad to hear you caught a rabbit. I guess you will get another by the time this letter reaches you. I hope so. I am sorry I wasn’t there for Christmas but that is something I can’t help, as you know. I hope you shoot something when you go hunting. You better quit shooting them ducks, Ha Ha, and start shooting rabbits, Ha Ha. I am doing a little shooting myself now and I sure have been hitting the mark too—200 yards from it. Well answer right back. 

Your ole pal always, Johnnie

 

Johnnie wrote a third letter on December 28, 1942—this one to his mother-in-law.

My Dear Mother-in-Law,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am doing as well as can be expected so far. I have been here in camp one week and four days and have not received any mail from Lucile or any one and I can’t understand what is the matter. Have you received that card I wrote you? I have written at least ten or eleven letters since I been here and have not got an answer back yet from any of them. How are all the kids? Fine, I hope. How is little Melvin? Is he still dancing? I guess he is if there is music playing. Tell him I said hello. Betty and Mary the same. Send me a picture of all of them the next time you get some. I guess you all won’t see me till at least two months because I have to get that much training before I get a pass to come home. I don’t want Lucile to know it is that long because she will worry that much more. So please don’t say anything about it to her. How is Doc getting along? Fine, I hope. Tell him I said hello and to take care of my car, Ha Ha. This weather is very funny here. It is cold in the morning and hot in the evening. What is Robert and Nell’s address? Tell them I said hello and to write me. I guess Lucile received my clothes alright. Write and let me know. Well, I guess that is all the news for right now so please answer right back. Loves of love to you and the rest.

Johnnie

P.S. All I can say for this Christmas is Merry Christmas to you all and a Happy New Year.


Leola (Lemons) Stacks, Johnnie's mother-in-law

No comments:

Post a Comment