Thursday, November 17, 2022

December 26, 1942

Johnnie made it through Christmas, but their wedding anniversary still weighed heavy on his mind. He made sure Lucile knew he missed her and wanted her near him in his December 26, 1942 letter from Camp Howze.

My Dear Beloved Darling, 

How is my baby tonight? Fine, I hope. This letter finds me the same as ever, except I wish to be with you, holding you so tight that you can’t breathe. I would give all the money to get in this army just to be back with you again, which I will be back soon just as soon as I get my training. Darling I am going to try to save some money so you can come out here and stay for a while, anyway. I want you to save some to. Try to anyway. A lot of the boys here sent for their wives to come live here, the rent is only five or six dollars a week and Gainesville, Texas is only five miles from where I am stationed at. So, you see I would be able to come there and stay with you every night and on weekends I wouldn’t have to come back to camp till Monday. I can get another boy to go in with me and it wouldn’t cost anything at all. You see his wife and you could split on eats and rent too and it would be easy on all four of us, don’t you think? Let me know what you think on this idea. Well honey, I guess that is all the news right now, except for the 27th day of this month is the day we got married two years ago, and to think I have to be on K.P. that day. You know what K.P. is don’t you. It is washing dishes and mopping floors and they would get me on that certain day, Ha Ha. Well honey, ans. right back. 

Lots of Love and Kiss x x x x x x x x x x x x x, Johnnie


Partial view of December 26, 1942 letter (click to enlarge)

It was the day before his wedding anniversary and Johnnie couldn’t get Lucile off his mind. In addition to the letter he’d already written to her earlier that night, he also sent a postcard on December 26, 1942.

Dear Beloved Darling, 

Just a card to let you know that I may be in Texas but my heart still belongs to you or you will always know no matter where I am. I have wrote a letter at least for every day I been here. So, you see I do write you many times. 

Love, Johnnie

   

Postcard Johnnie sent to Lucile from Camp Howze on December 26, 1942—front and back

No comments:

Post a Comment