Thursday, December 22, 2022

January 11 and 15, 1943

As often happens with soldiers who have been deployed, Johnnie’s January 11, 1943 letter from Camp Howze was filled with self-doubt. Fearing the worst, his emotions got the best of him that day.

My Dear Darling Beloved, 

Hello honey, what are you doing tonight? I guess you are doing just what I am doing, just wishing that we were back together. Are you? Darling, I know you don’t have the same love for me as you did, when we were going together, and the first few months we were married. And I know I am the blame for losing that love, the way I have done and treated you what time we did live together, before they took me in the Army. I know I just have a small part in your heart now, but if I can’t have it all, which I have to win back, you can’t blame a fellow for trying to win back the love and respect he did once have, can you? Lucile, I know you are going to write back, and ask where I get that silly idea. Well, I knew a good while about that and I also wanted you to know I knew it, but I thought I could change it back. But the Army got me before I got a chance to even try. I expect to still try, when I get out. What made me write and be telling you this? I had a terrible dream the other night that you came down here, asking me for a divorce, and I asked you why you were getting it. And then I dreamed you said don’t you think I stood a lot off you, and the next thing I know I woke up, and sweating all over. Lucile for gosh sake, don’t let that dream come true. You are just like the sunshine, if you leave me, I would be in the dark. Well darling, I told you how I feel and if you ever believe me do now, will you. My heart, my soul, and my love, my life go to you. So, lots of everything that is within me.

Love x x x x x x Johnnie



January 11, 1943 letter (click to enlarge)

Johnnie’s been on guard duty and that has hindered his writing to Lucile, something he likes to do every day. He promises to make it up to her in his January 15, 1943 letter from Camp Howze.

My Dear Beloved Darling, 

I have received two letters from you in the last two days, but I haven’t had time to answer them till tonight. The reason I haven’t had time is because I have been on guard duty most of this week, and I go on again tonight. This will be my last time to go on till about a month and boy am I glad. I will write you two letters tomorrow to make up for the lost time. We had short arm inspection tonight and little John Jr. is still OK, Ha Ha. In other words, the doctors came around and looked at my thing, and I am in good shape. I received the marriage license last night. Thanks for getting them so quick. Darling, this picture you sent me is the best picture of you yet. Of course, the others are good too, but this one shows your beautiful looks more. And baby I sure mean looks cause you really got that. Every boy here in camp is always asking me how I rate with you. In other words, they mean how did I get such a beautiful woman. I told them it took me two years or more to get you and it was a hard struggle at that. Well Baby, I signed the payroll tonight and I will get paid the first week in February. Honey I found out today it will be about a month and a half before you get any money, but you will draw about a hundred and seventy dollars. I will get a pretty good bit the first and I will send you half of it and let you owe me when you get yours, Ha Ha.

Well honey, I am sorry, but I will have to close this letter because it is about ten thirty and that is the time I go on guard duty. But I will write you two tomorrow. So be good till I see you, Ha Ha. Love always to you as you know.

xxx Johnnie

P.S. I got Dot, Mother’s and Earl’s letter. Will answer them tomorrow. Love Johnnie

P.S. They made me an acting corporal for no reason at all. I will take a test next week. Do you want me to make one?

Love, Johnnie


Partial view of January 15, 1943 letter

No comments:

Post a Comment