Thursday, December 15, 2022

January 6, 7, and 9, 1943

Johnnie felt an urgency to help Lucile get the paperwork in place so she could start getting a check from the Army. In his January 6, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, he told her what she needed to do to get the paperwork finalized.

Check this, Ha Ha

Dear Darling,

Just a few lines to tell you what to do about getting your money. I have done signed some papers out for you to get the money tonight. You will have to go to Jonesboro to get a duplicate of our marriage license. I guess you will have to take the real one so they can make a duplicate of it. I don’t believe it will cost over fifty cents or a dollar to get a duplicate. Darling, get this right away and send it to me airmail. You will get your money the first of next month, by that I mean the first of February. Darling, try to send it back as quick as possible. The quicker I get it back, the quicker you get your money.

Lots of love, Johnnie


Partial view of January 6, 1943 letter

Lucile needed to step it up to keep up with Johnnie’s wishes to read her letters all night. Was that what he was hinting at in his January 7, 1943 letter from Camp Howze?

I love you always: check that

My Dear Beloved,

Receive another one of your letters tonight, and it does me a hell a lot of good to get one. In other words, I wish I could get a 100 at a time where I could just sit or lay down on my bunk and just read them all night. Honey, you said something about if I got those pictures of you and little Carol. Yes, I got them. Every time I pull out my wallet, or shall I say every time I look at your picture, I feel so bad. It makes me want to see you in the flesh. Check that, Ha Ha. No kidding darling. I do miss you, and you know it too. Say babe, you still love me. Check that. Say babe, did Mildred get that letter thanking her for the cigarettes. Say, I got Dot and Drex’s letters tonight with yours, check that. It’s about time I got one, don’t you think so? Say, we been having some bad weather here, but bad or not we keep right on drilling and learning about the army. I know you will come here if you have to get here the best you can, but I don’t want you to. So, stay there till you get enough money to come here like I want you too. Well Babe, that all the news so write right back. My love for you as you know always.

Johnnie


Lucile


Partial view of January 7, 1943 letter

Johnnie was happy to receive common, everyday items from Lucile when he wrote his January 9, 1943 letter from Camp Howze, Texas. He also sent advice to Lucile’s 16-year-old brother Geral about guns.

My Dear Darling Beloved Baby,

Hello honey, I received the shoe polish and coat hangers yesterday and was sure glad to get them. Thanks a lot. I am sorry to hear about Geral getting his hand all shot up. Tell him I said a gun wasn’t anything to play with, especially a shot gun. I hope it heals back alright. Darling, I can’t wear one of them caps you like just yet, because this camp has been just filling in with new soldiers and we will have to wait till it gets organized and straightened out. But I can wear them outside of camp, like going to town or driving home just so it is outside the camp. How is my little baby getting along? I hope you have been a good gal. Keep my Love, and God knows I keep yours. When I say I love you, you don’t know just how much I mean it. Check that. Darling, I wrote to Grandma about two days before hers came to me. I guess she got it by now. I am going to answer this one I got with yours as soon as I finish writing this to you. How is my mail coming now? You shall get a letter a day. Excuse this dark writing, because my pen gave out of ink and I had to borrow some other kind. I have had a sore throat all this week and can’t hardly talk. My voice is so hoarse, it sounds funny when I do try to talk. They have been putting macurcone on a little stick with a piece of cotton and rubbing my throat inside. I guess it will get better in a few days. Well honey, I guess that is all the news right now, except I wish I had you with me tonight. I will soon. Don’t worry about that. Darling, did you get a copy of my marriage license yet? Get them as quick as possible.

Lots and Lots and Lots of Love: check that. Johnnie

P.S. Uncle Sam may have me, but you got my heart. I love you: check that. 


Partial view of January 9, 1943 letter

No comments:

Post a Comment